Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 7:39 am

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:
I got no time for the Olympics. Bunch of rich people who have the resources to dedicate their lives to "amateur" sports. The IOC is corrupt as fuck. Don't get me wrong, every Olympics there's a few genuinely heartwarming moments, but it ain't worth all the grift and pomp.

I concur. I stopped watching the Olympics a while back because of it. The only thing I bother with in the summer games is soccer. For the winter games, I'll tune in to Team Canada hockey, and bobsleigh.

The rest is unwatchable.

-J.

Skateboarding in Summer. Hockey, Curling, Freestyle Skiing, Half pipe snowboard in winter.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:02 am

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
xerxes xerxes:
And the 2022 World Cup in Qatar for good measure too.

No. It's bad enough the Euro got pushed back. WC 2022 is needed for soccer fans around
the world. We can't let fear keep cancelling everything. It's getting ridiculous.

-J.

If Canada isn't in the World Cup, there is no point in watching, even then it's a stretch.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:38 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
xerxes xerxes:
And the 2022 World Cup in Qatar for good measure too.

No. It's bad enough the Euro got pushed back. WC 2022 is needed for soccer fans around
the world. We can't let fear keep cancelling everything. It's getting ridiculous.

-J.

If Canada isn't in the World Cup, there is no point in watching, even then it's a stretch.

I am of German descent, so I always cheer on Germany (and had a grand old time in 2014!). As for Canada, our national team is beyond hopeless, so even if we did get in, I'd still be cheering for Germany.

-J.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:50 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:

I am of German descent, so I always cheer on Germany (and had a grand old time in 2014!). As for Canada, our national team is beyond hopeless, so even if we did get in, I'd still be cheering for Germany.

-J.

English, would like to see 1966 all over again.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:37 pm

French... you losers. :lol:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:04 pm

PluggyRug PluggyRug:
CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:

-J.

There are a lot of teams I'll talk smack about, but not the English. It would be great for soccer in general if they won a World Cup, or even a Euro.

-J.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 7:18 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
PluggyRug PluggyRug:
CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:

-J.

There are a lot of teams I'll talk smack about, but not the English. It would be great for soccer in general if they won a World Cup, or even a Euro.

-J.

Again. 8)

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:16 am

How well do Germany, the UK and France do in the post-game riots? Which British newspapers have the best post-game riot coverage? On average, do South American countries do as well in post-game riots as European ones?

(I kid, I kid.)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:45 am

JaredMilne JaredMilne:
How well do Germany, the UK and France do in the post-game riots? Which British newspapers have the best post-game riot coverage? On average, do South American countries do as well in post-game riots as European ones?

(I kid, I kid.)

If you want to see a real before, during and after game battle, go to see a Glasgow Rangers -v- Glasgow Celtic game. Just your average Catholic v Protestant war. PDT_Armataz_01_36

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:27 am

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
bootlegga bootlegga:

-J.

I'm of Dutch descent, but I grew up in Canada, speaking English, so I'm far more Canadian than I am Dutch. Plus I find soccer generally pretty boring, so if I can't root for my country, I'm really not interested.

We could put together a half decent team of Canadians, but too often European teams they play on won't let our good players play in qualifying games, so we wind up with third rate players and don't qualify. It also doesn't help that for most of its history, the World Cup was mostly a European championship with a handful of other teams from around the world tossed in to justify the 'World Cup' moniker. It's a bit better now, but it's still nearly 50% European teams.

Between those two factors, that's why I don't give a rats ass about the World Cup. Maybe if Canada gets in because of our shared hosting duty in 2026 I might watch, but my money is on the Europeans will find some way to shaft us.

At least the Olympics have Canadians competing, even if the many of the sports are about as interesting to watch as soccer is.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:43 am

I played and coached soccer for many years. We just don't have a system in Canada. Hockey uses up all the oxygen in the room. For gifted players, the best thing they can do is move to Europe, which many do. Other wise, there's nowhere for them to go when they age out of youth soccer. No "minor leagues" to develop in.

I love the game, but it's a lot more fun to play than watch. Probably why soccer fans get pissed out of their tits and sing.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:53 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Probably why soccer fans get pissed out of their tits and sing.

No. The English are just genetically predisposed to doing that. ;)