canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:49 pm

Title: Hamilton father argues school's should notify parents ahead of teaching controversial material
Category: lifestyle
Posted By: N_Fiddledog
Date: 2016-07-15 17:46:28
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:49 pm

Also here:

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/67383 ... -and-gays/

"A Hamilton father wants the courts to find the public school board violated his Charter rights by refusing to notify him in advance of activities that might cover "false teachings" according to his religion so he could pull his children out of class.

Steve (Eustathios) Tourloukis, who mounted his constitutional challenge in 2012, had his case heard in Hamilton's Superior Court on Thursday.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:22 pm

A religious guy complaining about "false teachings"?

Oh the irony!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:31 pm

I guess that teaching evolution and that the earth is round is out of the question too.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:56 pm

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:25 pm

What I find interesting here is people used to tell me if you didn't like what was going to be taught in a particular class you didn't have to let your kids attend.

Turns out that's a lie.

$1:
Board lawyer Mark Zega stated that Tourloukis has a right to public education, but no right to “impose his religious” views by “sending a message somebody else’s lifestyle is not acceptable.”

Leaving the classroom “conveys a message of non-acceptance that can’t be accepted in a public school system where tolerance is a statutory objective,” Zega told the Court.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/wynne ... -charter-c

Also here's Tourloukis giving his side.

$1:
Tourloukis told reporters after the hearing that he was “a little bit disappointed in how things were presented in the court.”

“I don’t mind my children being exposed to factual information,” he emphasized. “I’m not advocating for ignorance and I’m not trying to censor other children.”

Added Tourloukis: “I only objected to them teaching their subjective opinion to my children on certain topics.”

The 'subjective opinion of certain topics' he's talking about has nothing to do with the science of evolution.

He believes the school is pushing a subjective preference for a lifestyle of homosexuality and same sex marriage. He wants to be told if that's the lesson.

It seems to me the solution would be simple. If that is not the intent of a lesson just agree to tell him in advance. If it never happens, no problem. If they are pushing subjective lifestyle choices though, he's right. He should be told and be allowed to pull his kids from class.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:32 am

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
What I find interesting here is people used to tell me if you didn't like what was going to be taught in a particular class you didn't have to let your kids attend.

Turns out that's a lie.

$1:
Board lawyer Mark Zega stated that Tourloukis has a right to public education, but no right to “impose his religious” views by “sending a message somebody else’s lifestyle is not acceptable.”

Leaving the classroom “conveys a message of non-acceptance that can’t be accepted in a public school system where tolerance is a statutory objective,” Zega told the Court.

Also here's Tourloukis giving his side.

$1:
Tourloukis told reporters after the hearing that he was “a little bit disappointed in how things were presented in the court.”

“I don’t mind my children being exposed to factual information,” he emphasized. “I’m not advocating for ignorance and I’m not trying to censor other children.”

Added Tourloukis: “I only objected to them teaching their subjective opinion to my children on certain topics.”

The 'subjective opinion of certain topics' he's talking about has nothing to do with the science of evolution.

He believes the school is pushing a subjective preference for a lifestyle of homosexuality and same sex marriage. He wants to be told if that's the lesson.

It seems to me the solution would be simple. If that is not the intent of a lesson just agree to tell him in advance. If it never happens, no problem. If they are pushing subjective lifestyle choices though, he's right. He should be told and be allowed to pull his kids from class.

He believes that homosexuality is an opinion. A figment of the imagination of the teacher. They are not pushing lifestyle choices as people don't wake up and decide to be gay, much to the dismay of the good ol' dentist.

The only false teachings taking place are in this man's home and on Sunday mornings.