Category: Economics
Posted By: shockedcanadian
Date: 2017-01-17 10:19:06
Canadian

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:30 pm

stagnant wages is definitely one thing, but increased taxes at all levels of government aren't helping either. We have to get away from spending more than we make as a nation never mind the individual. In Alberta, provincial income tax went up, levies went up on just about everything across the board, new federal tax changes and municipal property taxes went up for the 12th year in a row here in Calgary.

It's getting hard to stay on the treadmill never mind get ahead, now carbon taxes and then the government has the audacity to tell us we aren't saving enough...well stop taking half my fucken money then!

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:33 pm

uwish uwish:
stagnant wages is definitely one thing, but increased taxes at all levels of government aren't helping either. We have to get away from spending more than we make as a nation never mind the individual.

What? You don't think Canada can tax itself into prosperity? What kind of a heretic are you?

:wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:44 pm

I get a good enraged laugh when some baby boomer chucklefuck, who started working when taxes were about 30% of what they are today and who was able to buy a fucking house for around $50000, waxes philosophical about how the "young people aren't sacrificing and should save more". Only one response for dimwits that empty:

Seriously, just die already. You've been around far too long for any good you might accidentally have done. :evil:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:48 pm

[stupid]

I had to turn around and just leave after hearing one spout off on how "these generations live a little high on the hog". It was either that or punch that stupid disgust/sneer off his face.

Couldn't curl worth a damn when i came back into the rink either. Way too pissed off.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:51 pm

It was those kind of comments on the CBC site when the oil price collapsed that almost made me put my fist through the monitor. Some fucking dick with a paid-off house in the Maritimes or small-town Ontario where the cost of living is half the price of what it is in Alberta telling me how much I deserved to be out of work just because they hate the place where I live. :evil:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:22 pm

Cursing the people who bought those $50,000 homes with 22% mortgages and saw Bill Bennett & Mr. Mulroney up taxes and slash services while they did?
Sorry those $11 hr warehouse jobs didn't keep up with house prices in the big cities, if I could go back to the warehouse at $220.00 hr I'd be applying there now.
And when I was in the Maritimes in 2014 half of them were surviving by working in Alberta. Can't imagine them hating the place.
Wildly swinging at imagined ghosts doesn't get you anywhere.
Start with the morons who'll stubbornly stick to boom & bust economies and mock everyone who use big words like sustainable.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:51 pm

I don't curse the grasshopper generation. Until I hear one cursing the youngsters totally unaware that he is part of something called the grasshopper generation.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:00 pm

uwish uwish:
stagnant wages is definitely one thing, but increased taxes at all levels of government aren't helping either. We have to get away from spending more than we make as a nation never mind the individual. In Alberta, provincial income tax went up, levies went up on just about everything across the board, new federal tax changes and municipal property taxes went up for the 12th year in a row here in Calgary.

It's getting hard to stay on the treadmill never mind get ahead, now carbon taxes and then the government has the audacity to tell us we aren't saving enough...well stop taking half my fucken money then!

Businesses and the wealthy need to stop shifting the tax burden onto everyday citizens first.

Wages have been stagnant for decades, tax increases are relatively new in the past fee years only. Tax rates have generally been going down since the 90s and even with recent increases are still a lot less than what they've been historically. Taxes aren't the problem, corporate greed is the problem

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:40 pm

Robair Robair:
I don't curse the grasshopper generation. Until I hear one cursing the youngsters totally unaware that he is part of something called the grasshopper generation.

There's a reason the young people today can't get ahead and it's not because the boomers all became rich but because of people like the author of the term "Grasshopper Generation".

$1:
It is fascinating for Tom Friedman, New York Times columnist, to disparage his own generation as "the grasshopper generation, eating through just about everything like hungry locusts." The preachy Mr. Friedman might want to start at home.

Not only his wife an heiress of the Bucksbaum family which took out hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars over the years from the publicly-held corporation they founded (General growth Properties) before it was thrown into bankruptcy due to sky high debt levels, but Friedman and his family live in baronial splendor in an "palatial 11,400 square foot house...on a 7 ½ acre parcel just blocks from..Bethesda Country Club".

From a neighbor of his:

I lived within shouting distance of Friedman. Take a look at the carbon footprint this guy leaves. He lives on about seven acres -- it was once the home site of a prominent Washington attorney...The house sits on a hill with a great view and a western exposure. Friedman bought the house from the late lawyer's family about five years ago, tore down the huge older house and constructed an [over 11,000] square foot residence, with 7.5 bathrooms, on the hilltop. It is beautifully landscaped, as you can tell from the aerial/satellite photographs, and the foliage likely requires a lot of water. The property is listed on the tax rolls for [well over $9,000,000]. It makes me feel better that those who preach environmentalism practice such a modest intrusion on the environment itself.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/200 ... rassh.html

So, just in case you hadn't noticed. Most of the boomer generation don't own homes in the Hamptons or don't have trust funds to fall back on when times get tough like Mr. Friedman who, given the liberal use of the term Grasshopper Generation is quite adept in muddling the issue of wealth inequality so, no blame will be laid where it rightly belongs. With him and is other uber rich friends who make up the boomer elites.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:15 pm

You don't have to be uber rich to one-up the youngsters. You just have to be retired.

Because most of them never will.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:17 pm

Okay, I'm going to sound a tad curmudgeonly but here goes:

I will admit to a deep and abiding lack of sympathy for young people who complain about the price of housing and the lack of high paying jobs when...

1. They have a massive school loan, a car loan, high-interest credit card debt, the newest and shiniest cell phone from Apple, they use more bandwidth than the NSA (because the kittenz!), and they're subscribed to pay TV, HBO, Netflix, Showtime, pay-per-view, and etc.

2. They vote for Democrats who support higher taxes, higher pay for educators that gets included in school loans, free education for illegal aliens that gets included in school loans, and who hate the corporations and enterprises that used to create high paying jobs.

:idea: :idea: :idea:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:36 pm

Mandatory reading for Bart.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:09 pm

Robair Robair:

$1:
For more than a quarter century, middle-class incomes have flat-lined in terms of real purchasing power.

I disagree. Real purchasing power has declined as prices and taxes rose and wages stagnated.

And the taxes are the worst part of it.

But, yeah, I'm a big meanie because I don't want my taxes being used to secure votes from liberal dependencies.

You folks in Canada are probably a generation away from where I am right now.

Hope you can make it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:32 pm

$1:
They have a massive school loan, a car loan, high-interest credit card debt, the newest and shiniest cell phone from Apple, they use more bandwidth than the NSA (because the kittenz!), and they're subscribed to pay TV, HBO, Netflix, Showtime, pay-per-view, and etc.

Right on Bart. They want them right fucking now, and whine at those who've accumulated that crap over 30-40 years. I doubt I'd have an iPhone if the $90 month wasn't a business tax writeoff and just about choke at the tv bill.
And am capable of noticing (it's not even small type FOR THE FIRST THREE MONTHS. Gotta force myself not to look at ppl like they're an idiot when they insist they pay $15 a month for 150Mb Internet service.