canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:20 pm

Title: 'You must be very careful': Common questions about CBD health claims for pain and other conditions answered
Category: Health
Posted By: N_Fiddledog
Date: 2019-09-18 09:22:23
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:20 pm

Nice to see someone telling the truth about this Miracle Drug for once.

For decades we were bombarded with anecdotal stories from the marijuana lobby about it's healing powers and health benefits.

As it's turning out some of that was nothing more than a smoke screen used to try and make it seem like a legitimate well tested drug. Well they succeeded in getting people to buy in but the problem is the myths they perpetuated linger and people are just now finding out that some of those "true" anecdotal stories weren't just wrong but were absolute lies.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:54 pm

Better make it illegal again then.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:02 pm

Tricks Tricks:

While we're at it, we should make cigarettes and booze illegal at the same time... because they're not good for you either... and that way, kids will stop smoking and drinking too.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:15 pm

I'm not too proud to admit it. I got sucked in by the hype.

I bought some for pain. 80 some odd bucks for a tiny bottle. Worthless.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:45 pm

I can state without hesitation that it's helped me immensely with the inflammation problems in my lower back. If I take enough it makes me much more limber and greatly reduces the aches and muscle tension that go along with inflammation. And, most importantly, it doesn't make my stomach go completely toxic the way anti-inflammatories like Advil or Naproxen do - if I take even the mild-strength ones of those drugs I can feel my stomach starting to revolt within minutes, even if I've had a large amount of food to buffer them.

As with all medical studies released to the pop-media that can't be bothered to dig too deeply these questions remain about those who authored it:

- who are they connected to
- who stands to gain from their determinations
- what political agenda is being advanced here

If they're connected to the usual right-wingers then it's just another political front for scoldy, moralizing, anti-personal liberty, and religious social conservatism and should be disregarded on that basis alone.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:54 pm

It's helped with my headaches... haven't taken a Tylenol for a couple of months now and I'm only taking THC about once a week.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:28 pm

Tricks Tricks:

Well it's good to know you think that was the point of my post? :roll:

If it works for someone then great. If not then they and their doctor should be looking for viable alternatives that work not updosing to try and get an effect that may never happen. I know for a fact that if you tell the people at the Medical Marijuana facilities that it isn't working their stock answer is always. "well you're not taking enough".

Can you imagine if Pfiser or one of the other pharmaceutical companies was to use that line on their patients. The outcry from people would be deafening but, because the myth of marijuana as being completely harmless or extremely effective has been pushed for so long that people always seem to believe the unproven anecdotes.

The biggest problem is the myth that it fixes every ailment known to man. I've even read where it's been claimed to cure cancer. Well I'd love to see the research on that one but it doesn't seem to be readily available for some reason. I've also seen the claim that it cures arthritis. Well I can attest to the fact it doesn't cure arthritis. It may help some people with mobility if you take enough but, it doesn't cure squat. And that's the problem. It's still being sold as a miracle cure with little or no actual testing other than the anecdotal claims by people who have used it.

Hell in some cases you could get some of those same anecdotal statements, by giving people placebo's. So what I was pointing out before you started thinking for me was, people should beware about any miracle cure claims and they won't be disappointed if it doesn't do squat for them because in some cases it doesn't work any better than old time snake oil and may actually be doing serious harm to them.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:40 am

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
Well I'd love to see the research on that one but it doesn't seem to be readily available for some reason.

Because Cannabis has been a Schedule 1 drug for decades, and the US will vilified any country that tried to change that. It was on Schedule 1, meaning it had no medical use. And because it was on Schedule 1, getting a permit to conduct Medical research on it was impossible, because it had no medical use. Catch 22.

That's why there was no research on it. But with it being legalized in many places now, we are starting to see research on it.

$1:
The evidence for cannabidiol health benefits

CBD has been touted for a wide variety of health issues, but the strongest scientific evidence is for its effectiveness in treating some of the cruelest childhood epilepsy syndromes, such as Dravet syndrome and Lennox-Gastaut syndrome (LGS), which typically don’t respond to antiseizure medications. In numerous studies, CBD was able to reduce the number of seizures, and in some cases it was able to stop them altogether. Videos of the effects of CBD on these children and their seizures are readily available on the Internet for viewing, and they are quite striking. Recently the FDA approved the first ever cannabis-derived medicine for these conditions, Epidiolex, which contains CBD.

CBD is commonly used to address anxiety, and for patients who suffer through the misery of insomnia, studies suggest that CBD may help with both falling asleep and staying asleep.

CBD may offer an option for treating different types of chronic pain. A study from the European Journal of Pain showed, using an animal model, CBD applied on the skin could help lower pain and inflammation due to arthritis. Another study demonstrated the mechanism by which CBD inhibits inflammatory and neuropathic pain, two of the most difficult types of chronic pain to treat. More study in humans is needed in this area to substantiate the claims of CBD proponents about pain control.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/can ... 8082414476

And CBD is even being recognized as a medicine in the US, and being sold in many pharmacies.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/is ... to-science

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:31 am

As with any drug. I have to take a near dangerous amount of NSAIDs. I have a serious resistance to everything. I have to take 4x400mg of Naproxen to control the pain sometimes.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:02 am

llama66 llama66:
As with any drug. I have to take a near dangerous amount of NSAIDs. I have a serious resistance to everything. I have to take 4x400mg of Naproxen to control the pain sometimes.

And that has serious side effects. I used to take Aggrenox, enough blood thinner that I couldn't shave because a shaving cut would bleed for an hour. Like, gush, not just a little trickle. That had other side effects, like a simple bump into something left me with painful bruises.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:31 am

This is why I only take the Naproxen when the pain is unbearable. 1600mg is super dangerous. I'm trying to lower the dose and just power through the remaining pain. Fortunately, the pain in my leg is somewhat rarer these days.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:51 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
Well I'd love to see the research on that one but it doesn't seem to be readily available for some reason.

Because Cannabis has been a Schedule 1 drug for decades, and the US will vilified any country that tried to change that. It was on Schedule 1, meaning it had no medical use. And because it was on Schedule 1, getting a permit to conduct Medical research on it was impossible, because it had no medical use. Catch 22.

That's why there was no research on it. But with it being legalized in many places now, we are starting to see research on it.

$1:
The evidence for cannabidiol health benefits

CBD has been touted for a wide variety of health issues, but the strongest scientific evidence is for its effectiveness in treating some of the cruelest childhood epilepsy syndromes, such as Dravet syndrome and Lennox-Gastaut syndrome (LGS), which typically don’t respond to antiseizure medications. In numerous studies, CBD was able to reduce the number of seizures, and in some cases it was able to stop them altogether. Videos of the effects of CBD on these children and their seizures are readily available on the Internet for viewing, and they are quite striking. Recently the FDA approved the first ever cannabis-derived medicine for these conditions, Epidiolex, which contains CBD.

CBD is commonly used to address anxiety, and for patients who suffer through the misery of insomnia, studies suggest that CBD may help with both falling asleep and staying asleep.

CBD may offer an option for treating different types of chronic pain. A study from the European Journal of Pain showed, using an animal model, CBD applied on the skin could help lower pain and inflammation due to arthritis. Another study demonstrated the mechanism by which CBD inhibits inflammatory and neuropathic pain, two of the most difficult types of chronic pain to treat. More study in humans is needed in this area to substantiate the claims of CBD proponents about pain control.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/can ... 8082414476

And CBD is even being recognized as a medicine in the US, and being sold in many pharmacies.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/is ... to-science

Thank you for pointing out what I was too lazy and too busy to do.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:08 am

I would like to see the research done prior to it being sold as a cure all type drug.

Still if it really is helping I am hard pressed to criticizing it's medicinal use.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:38 am

stratos stratos:
I would like to see the research done prior to it being sold as a cure all type drug.

Whenever a new product appear, some snake oil salesman always tries to market it as a cure-all to make a quick buck. Anyone who hasn't realized this yet, we can only assume, hasn't been paying attention. ;) Gluten free, anyone? :lol:

stratos stratos:
Still if it really is helping I am hard pressed to criticizing it's medicinal use.

It really does help with my aching back. Exercise helps more, but arthritis is a bitch.