bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:37 am

Strutz Strutz:
When shopping at Safeway yesterday I decided to skip on buying apples as they were $2.99/lb for BC Galas. I decided this afternoon to walk down to this little produce/Asian specialty store nearby and bought the same Gala apples for $1.69/lb. Quite a difference and you would think Safeway (Sobeys) would get a bigger volume discount than a small stand-alone store. Oranges were only $0.99/lb as well. I'm going to check in there more often as even though it's a small place and they don't always have everything what they do have is clean and good quality. I noticed they had beautiful bunches of Italian parsley, which I buy occasionally when I need it fresh for making soup stock and dry out the rest to use in this and that but I still have some but will keep it in mind when I need to do some more.

T&T used to be good, but Loblaw's bought them out a few years ago, so now I shop Lucky Supermarket when I'm shopping for ingredients I would normally get at T&T. Plus, they often have great Pho/Chinese food takeout counter too.

https://www.luckysupermarket.ca/

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:48 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
Strutz Strutz:
When shopping at Safeway yesterday I decided to skip on buying apples as they were $2.99/lb for BC Galas. I decided this afternoon to walk down to this little produce/Asian specialty store nearby and bought the same Gala apples for $1.69/lb. Quite a difference and you would think Safeway (Sobeys) would get a bigger volume discount than a small stand-alone store. Oranges were only $0.99/lb as well. I'm going to check in there more often as even though it's a small place and they don't always have everything what they do have is clean and good quality. I noticed they had beautiful bunches of Italian parsley, which I buy occasionally when I need it fresh for making soup stock and dry out the rest to use in this and that but I still have some but will keep it in mind when I need to do some more.

T&T used to be good, but Loblaw's bought them out a few years ago, so now I shop Lucky Supermarket when I'm shopping for ingredients I would normally get at T&T. Plus, they often have great Pho/Chinese food takeout counter too.

H-Mart isn't bad either. But I actually find Earths' General Store, even though their stuff can usually be expensive, it is pretty competitive right now. And they carry things no one else has.

Same with Italian Centre.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:58 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
bootlegga bootlegga:
Strutz Strutz:

H-Mart isn't bad either. But I actually find Earths' General Store, even though their stuff can usually be expensive, it is pretty competitive right now. And they carry things no one else has.

Same with Italian Centre.

I like H-Mart too, but for a northsider like me, it's a bit of a drive. Again, their ready made food counters are fantastic.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:07 am

The little place I referenced is about the size of an average 7-11 or corner store. Certainly not a supermarket by any means.

It used to be a flower/plant shop that had a couple of coolers with milk and beverages and had the the standard smokes, lottery tickets and candy (just for competition with the 7-11 across the street) but no actual groceries. It was very well-known for their flowers and plants and was always the go-to when needing flowers for gifts. The super nice couple that owned it retired years ago then the new owners scrapped the flowers and went produce and (mostly) specialty import groceries. It's a bit cramped in there with shelving and the array of groceries is rather haphazard but it seems to get enough business from those who live nearby.

I get the impression it's family-run so a good reason to support them.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:14 am

Strutz Strutz:
I get the impression it's family-run so a good reason to support them.

I have a small grocer about a block away. Look like the store was a 1970's IGA or something, because they are laid out like one. Four aisles, two frozen food upright freezers, one Dairy fridge, one for juice and pop, a small produce section.

Most everything they sell appears to come from LeBlaBlas warehouses, and the prices are about the same. I prefer to shop there rather than drive to Superstore.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:57 am

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:04 pm

Someone forgot to carry the '1'.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:58 pm

That's funny! :lol:

I get a kick out of some "sale" prices. Sometimes they are good and other times they are so insignificant that it's a joke, especially when they reflect "buy 3 for $x.xx" and you do the math and it's only a savings of $0.10 or something like that off the original price.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:26 pm

Just like those "Welfare Family" and "Peasant's Choice" brands for a dime less. I'll gladly spend a dime for real Coke or Pepsi.
Got an online offer for strudels - $3.99 rather than $4.99 but of course they didn't have any at all until the online sale ended. The next week they were in the store marked ON SALE $4.99 reg $5.99 and they had lots.
They also had Wonderbread sandwiches in the deli for as much as footlongs at Subway.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:29 am

Perhaps fishing for dinner would be cheaper.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:45 pm

It's like apples from BC... why sell those when you can pay Chilean's half as much, mark it up triple and claim it's imported so it must be worth more....

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:18 pm

Isn't Chile on the Pacific? :?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:28 pm

raydan raydan:
Isn't Chile on the Pacific? :?

Yup. Atlantic salmon farmed in the south Pacific. Then flown to Canada from Chile, because it's . . . cheaper?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:07 am

Dang and I thought a dozen eggs was expensive. Last I looked it was $4.99 a dozen last time I bought eggs it was $1.19. That was less than a year ago.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:21 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Perhaps fishing for dinner would be cheaper.

Don't worry, all the big grocers (with their record profits last year) will pikachu face when suddenly they have substantially more theft.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 300 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 10  11  12  13  14  15  16 ... 20  Next