canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:31 pm

Choban Choban:
I'm not uncomfortable with trans gendered people, I'm uncomfortable paying for their unnessesary operations. They are mentaly ill not gender confused and should see a shrink for their depression because in your words it is a PHSYCOLOGICAL disorder.

Any "shrink" will tell most transgendered people exactly what I just told you.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:34 pm

Choban Choban:
Roman, no one covers depression for other reasons is my point, I'm not denying these people can change whatever they want about their bodies but why should it be covered when many other life saving things aren't.

Because if you're suicidally depressed about feeling uncomfortable in your own body, and the only way to solve that problem is surgery, then it is a life-saving measure.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:37 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
What about anyone who needs a Chiropractor? They are SOL. And there were other, much larger services delisted.

You shouldn't go to a chiropractor for a bad back. You should have a doctor refer you to a physician.

You should only go to a chiropractor if you think Jesus is going to make your back feel better.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:46 pm

romanP romanP:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
What about anyone who needs a Chiropractor? They are SOL. And there were other, much larger services delisted.

You shouldn't go to a chiropractor for a bad back. You should have a doctor refer you to a physician.

You should only go to a chiropractor if you think Jesus is going to make your back feel better.

I find that in a lot of cases, doctors are overrated. A lot are glorified pill-pushers as I'm guessing that they get kick-backs from the pharmaceuticals. Probably a lot of "clients" expect to get pills which doesn't help. We are a PILL society.

Some chiropractors are overrated too. You just need to find the good ones.

I have a good doctor that "listens" and in some cases will refer to alternate medicins.
I also have a good chiropractor, who just so happens to be my nephew.
... so I may be a bit biased about this. :wink:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:03 pm

romanP romanP:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

You can hurt your knees, jumping to conclusions like that.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:32 pm

romanP romanP:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

:roll: It is obvious that you have no clue as to what you are talking about!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:37 pm

romanP romanP:

ROTFL Oh, ok.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:46 am

Brenda Brenda:
kenmore kenmore:
The problem with most of the poster who have written on this post is that you have never been discriminated against or ostracized for your sexuality or difference.. living in the wrong body is a terrible life.. its right up there with other deformities.

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

I am an immigrant and a woman. Some company didn't hire me because of "my accent" (that is not so heavy that people don't understand me...). Another company didn't hire me because I am a woman (yeah, thats obvious when you read my resume, right?)...

You think I need to see a government funded shrink now, or do you think I should hire a government funded big shot lawyer to sue their asses?

Somehow I doubt that..but how about this... should we continue to pay millions for treatment and surgeries for people who cause their own illness by smoking? We all know that it is a major cause of cancer..yet people continue to puff away.. do we pay for people to have treatment for lung diseases like COPD and emphysema.. I have an 8yr old niece who has it from second hand smoke from her parents. do we pay for her? how about abortions? I know a teen who has had 3 in 4yrs.. How about people who are sexually permiscuous and contract treatable and non treatable STD. I am sure being rejected for a job was not based on your accent... there are alot of immigrants working who are difficult to understand. And I am quite sure you were not traumatized by being turned down for a job.. But having looked after trans-gendered people in the prison system as well as in mental health clinics, I can assure you that they are living a personal hell. ... walk a mile in their shoes you might have a change of heart.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:51 am

You can doubt all you want. It happened.
They could have said: we have found a more qualified or experienced person to fill the possition.
I would have understood and even agreed. They didn't. They told me it was my accent...

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:02 am

I feel like way too many people are making this a debate about the whether sex-change operations are neccesary, or just cosmetic. While I personally have a hard time accepting the idea that some people are born in the "wrong" body, I prefer to look at this a little more practically.

The savings from this de-listing are about 700 000 a year! That won't evenpay for the raises MLAs gave themselves not so long ago. It'll take 35 years for those savings to pay pay for the money the gov't just spent "rebranding" Alberta. It'll probably cost more than thatin legal fees to defend the decision in human rights cases. Which, in todays judicial climate, will proably be lost by the gov't, putting us right back where we started.

I hate this decision simply cause it looks like a political move to say "we saved some money", at the expense of an already weak and marginalized group. It completely plays to the prejudices, or supposed prejudices, of the rural consevative base of the Consevative party.

And has anyone noticed how much attention it's taken away from the land-use bills that seemed on the verge of turning the farmers against the tories?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:09 am

$1:
And I am quite sure you were not traumatized by being turned down for a job..

I have a VERY low self-esteem :twisted:

You make it sound like EVERY transgender is depressed. That is SO not true... Some are, but definitely not all, and a psychiatric state is easy to fake if you really want to...

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:04 pm

Brenda Brenda:
$1:
And I am quite sure you were not traumatized by being turned down for a job..

I have a VERY low self-esteem :twisted:

You make it sound like EVERY transgender is depressed. That is SO not true... Some are, but definitely not all, and a psychiatric state is easy to fake if you really want to...

This true some are and some are not depressed and no I do not agree that you can fake psychiatric problems for long.. patients go through a battery of testing that includes MRI, EEG. blood work CT scans and pshycological testing.. people who fake it are weeded out pretty quick. Psychiatry is a science and has come along way from the old days. I did not say that all were depressed either. I have been in this profession for more than 30 yrs and have seen many trans-gendered people.. and yes there are people who are born in the wrong bodies.. its called genetics just the same as people who are conjoined, born with both genetalia and exta limbs.. I personally think that this is a legitimate case for financial assistance by the government..