Title: India caste councils back men over 'honour killings'
Category: World
Posted By: Hyack
Date: 2010-04-13 21:34:34

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:37 am

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:34 am

In canada that would be considered a crime.... Im glad were ahead of the caste curve in India

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:48 am

whiskeyjack whiskeyjack:
In canada that would be considered a crime.... Im glad were ahead of the caste curve in India

And in Canada the people who've carried out honor killings are, indeed, prosecuted. Still, forgive me if I won't be surprised if someone in Canada or the USA says that we're 'bigoted and intolerant' because we won't accept the cultural practices of the people who perform such atrocities.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:48 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
whiskeyjack whiskeyjack:

And in Canada the people who've carried out honor killings are, indeed, prosecuted. Still, forgive me if I won't be surprised if someone in Canada or the USA says that we're 'bigoted and intolerant' because we won't accept the cultural practices of the people who perform such atrocities.

wut?

Just because a culture has some glaring issue that we all agree is unacceptable, does not mean their whole Culture is unacceptable.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:39 pm

First it is a crime to assault people in Canada by throwing things at them...until now.

Now, if you are a Muslim throwing your shoe at someone it is protected political protest because that is what they do at home.

Every issue has its camel's whisker...(ie: thin edge of the wedge).

Ted

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:14 pm

ttruscott ttruscott:
First it is a crime to assault people in Canada by throwing things at them...until now.

Now, if you are a Muslim throwing your shoe at someone it is protected political protest because that is what they do at home.

Every issue has its camel's whisker...(ie: thin edge of the wedge).

Ted

No it's still illegal in Canada, that's UK news your referring to.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:17 pm

sandorski sandorski:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
whiskeyjack whiskeyjack:

wut?

Just because a culture has some glaring issue that we all agree is unacceptable, does not mean their whole Culture is unacceptable.

I don't think thats what Bart was referring to, he was talkning about how much we are willing to tolerate in the west.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:15 pm

Sorry for the thread bump but here’s a curious story of caste discrimination from Silicon Valley. As in the American Silicon Valley. Needless to say, the company’s HR crew behaved in a typically gutless fashion:

$1:
In 2019, Cisco was ranked No. 2 on Fortune’s 100 Best Workplaces for Diversity. The technology giant got away with ignoring the persistent caste discrimination because American laws don’t yet recognize Hindu caste discrimination as a valid form of exclusion. Caste does not feature in Cisco’s diversity practices in its operations in India either. It reveals how the Indian information technology sector often operates in willful ignorance of the terrifying realities of caste.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/opin ... ticleShare

Why do so many Indians want to be of layabout Brahmin stock? Far better to have honest workers in one’s family tree.