Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:46 am

CrazyNewfie CrazyNewfie:
Did you read the 1st 2 sentences?
I think someone who drinks but says they don't advocate drug use is a hypocrite.

You misspelled Harpocrite..

Do you think someone who drinks alcohol is necessarily advocating its use? How about if they pose for photo-ops with it?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:47 am

That would make most posters on this forum hypocrites, especially since many of them want alcohol to remain legal but pot to remain illegal.

I think there's a difference between advocating drug use and using a drug - advocating means urging others to do it, something no responsible person would do. In a perfect world, nobody would use drugs. But in this world, many people can use alcohol and pot reasonably responsibly. But certainly way more people have problems with alcohol use than pot. Makes no sense to criminalize pot but not booze.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:53 am

CrazyNewfie CrazyNewfie:
Did you read the 1st 2 sentences?
I think someone who drinks but says they don't advocate drug use is a hypocrite.
You're arguing semantics. Whether scientifically correct or not, most people who use the word "drugs" in the contact of a debate on pot legalization are talking about illegal drugs. Also, you don't seem to understand the meaning of the word "advocate". You presume that people who advocate for pot legalization are necessarily users, which is incorrect. Likewise, one can advocate for gay marriage without wanting to engage in homosexuality.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:58 am

Ok ok you guys make some good points. It's just my opinion on the matter is fairly strong and sometimes it comes out the way it did. I don't encourage drug use either, I just think as an intelligent, law-abiding citizen I shouldn't be labelled a criminal for smoking marijuana.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:11 pm

andyt andyt:
That would make most posters on this forum hypocrites, especially since many of them want alcohol to remain legal but pot to remain illegal.

I think there's a difference between advocating drug use and using a drug - advocating means urging others to do it, something no responsible person would do. In a perfect world, nobody would use drugs. But in this world, many people can use alcohol and pot reasonably responsibly. But certainly way more people have problems with alcohol use than pot. Makes no sense to criminalize pot but not booze.

Your point, while remaining consistent, has always been ridiculous.

Many more people have a problem with alcohol than they do with heroin, cocaine or bath salts. We should legalize them too....as we don't want to be hypocritical. :lol:

Toss that argument in the garbage. It ruins any credibility.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:29 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
andyt andyt:

Your point, while remaining consistent, has always been ridiculous.

Many more people have a problem with alcohol than they do with heroin, cocaine or bath salts. We should legalize them too....as we don't want to be hypocritical. :lol:

Toss that argument in the garbage. It ruins any credibility.

We've already effectively decriminalized some of that in places. The results of treating addiction as a health care issue instead of a criminal justice issue have been very positive. There is no evidence anywhere of prohibition being successful against addiction.

http://supervisedinjection.vch.ca/resea ... statistics
$1:
Principle substances reported were heroin (51% of instances), cocaine (22% of instances) and methampethamine (10%)

We connect clients with needed services
In 2010 alone, Insite counsellors made more than 5,000 referrals to other social and health service agencies, the vast majority of which were for detox and addiction treatment. The calendar year 2010 also saw 458 admissions from Insite into Onsite, the adjoining detox treatment facility which recorded a program completion rate of 43 per cent in 2010.
The combined staff team of PHS Community Services Society and Vancouver Coastal Health work hard together, bringing needed health care, housing and social supports to users of InSite.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:41 am

Easy to explain - Justin is a clown, no way shape or form ready to run our nation. He randomly spouts out crud and expects people to give him credit. Guess we will see what happens in the next election. Liberal party for legal pot. Why not make it legal to drink and drive next. The law is not working because people are soft on crime. Capital punishment for all.........

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:53 am

Is it still illegal in BC? I can never remember.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:40 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Is it still illegal in BC? I can never remember.

It is illegal. But as I've said before, a law not enforced is no law at all. The big problem with legalizing it, they are starting to find out in places like Washington State is what to legalize.

To legalize it; you have to label it's contents, and regulate it the same as any other drug, or food for that matter. If Merck produced a drug that had the side effect of 'may cause schizophrenia', how soon would it be pulled fromt he market? So how do you regulate it? If General Foods produced a product that said "Contents: unknown", how well would that fly?

Do you regulate THC content? How about other compounds like Cannabidiol? Do you regulate the ratio of THC to Cannabidiol? Do you require each batch to be tested for potency?

What are the age restrictions for use? What are the long term effects of the chemical compounds in Pot?

So many questions, so few answers.

CrazyNewfie CrazyNewfie:
I don't encourage drug use either, I just think as an intelligent, law-abiding citizen I shouldn't be labelled a criminal for smoking marijuana.

Agreed.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:51 am

$1:
If Merck produced a drug that had the side effect of 'may cause schizophrenia', how soon would it be pulled fromt he market?

Yet Ritalin and Prozac are being given to children despite warnings of suicide and psychotic behavior from MDs, and a lack of evidence that they provide real benefits to many of the kids that are being prescribed this shit.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:40 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
$1:
If Merck produced a drug that had the side effect of 'may cause schizophrenia', how soon would it be pulled fromt he market?

Yet Ritalin and Prozac are being given to children despite warnings of suicide and psychotic behavior from MDs, and a lack of evidence that they provide real benefits to many of the kids that are being prescribed this shit.

There was a big push in the 90's for those kind of antipsychotic drugs. "Better life through chemistry". Some doctors are still under the impression they make a big (positive) difference in people's lives.

Here's a really good show on the subject - very enlightning!

http://www.cbc.ca/ideas/episodes/2013/0 ... on-part-1/

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:49 am

I've watched Generation Rx a few times

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:15 am

It will be interesting to see if this bit of his "platform" actually wins him votes. It seems like a bit of whimsy/fluff to talk about legalizing pot but, perhaps, some Liberal Party focus group has seen that we've crossed some sort of threshold and that the topic might get some traction, next election. I'm a little doubtful but you never know ...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:02 pm

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
It will be interesting to see if this bit of his "platform" actually wins him votes. It seems like a bit of whimsy/fluff to talk about legalizing pot but, perhaps, some Liberal Party focus group has seen that we've crossed some sort of threshold and that the topic might get some traction, next election. I'm a little doubtful but you never know ...

Your probably right. The people he's targeting with this speil are the ones who don't get off the couch to got to the bathroom, let alone vote. 8O

If he wants to make progress on this issue he's going to have to find a way to appeal to the middle class or what's left of it and make it palatable for that family with 2.5 kids, split level home in the suburbs and a dog named shep to vote yes to drugs.

A tough sell when parents have to be worried about their little darlings smoking dope bought at the Gov't dope store by some pervert in a trench coat like they do with alcohol.

And yes, I know kids can get dope now but, that doesn't mean their parents think they do since every parent's kid is an honour student, even the ones who used to toke up or still do for recreation. :D

So good luck Mr. Trudeau because I don't think Canada is ready to legalize marijuana just yet. Decriminalize it maybe but, not legalize it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:42 pm

The group that Trudeau is aiming at, would sooner smoke a bowl and play XBox than take half an hour out of their indolent life to go down and vote

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next