CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Should wearing a life-jacket be mandatory?
Yes  83%  [ 5 ]
No  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:27 pm

I just read this article and was going to post it anyway so I thought I'd put the question forth in a poll.

Our life-jacket laws are archaic and need to be overhauled

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:42 pm

I simply can't get over how many people will go out in a boat that can't swim. Or the number of locals that grew up on this lake, can't swim, g out on a boat drunk without even having a life jacket on board.
One of my high school buddies was a Coast Guard Boating Safety Officer. His favourite tale was about the number of bodies he'd pulled from the water with their dicks out. Fell overboard taking a piss...

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:47 am

I'm conflicted.

On one hand, freedom. The people who want to be 'free' might end up removing themselves from society in claiming that freedom.

On the other hand, the cost of retrieving those bodies. And we can't just leave them floating for the fishes. That's unsanitary.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:01 am

When I took swimming lessons as a little kid, the instructors showed us life jackets and PFDs and told us they were mandatory. I thought that meant they were mandatory to wear at all times in a boat...

...but then I remember all the times I've seen other people in boats without them, and the times I've been without one.

But I see this guy's logic. We require seatbelts to be worn in cars and safety harnesses on amusement park rides, so why wouldn't we require lifejackets or PFDs?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:46 am

Government overreach. My Body; My choice. I will not be mandated to wear a life jacket. FREEDOM!

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:24 am

I agree. You should have the right to drown while thinking "Shit! I should have warn a life jacket! Damn, I am really stupid!"

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:57 am

They don't save lives, they just make it easier to find the bodies.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:40 am

You're onto something! People without one will sink and greatly increase the food source for Dungeness crabs. A really good thing.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:14 pm

herbie herbie:
I simply can't get over how many people will go out in a boat that can't swim. Or the number of locals that grew up on this lake, can't swim, g out on a boat drunk without even having a life jacket on board.
One of my high school buddies was a Coast Guard Boating Safety Officer. His favourite tale was about the number of bodies he'd pulled from the water with their dicks out. Fell overboard taking a piss...

This reminds me of someone I knew several years ago who fell off a dock while drunk and taking a leak. No one else around and he somehow managed to get himself out of the water. He quit drinking after that, it scared him that badly.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:19 pm

I don't even understand how this is a question - of course it should be mandatory, just like seatbelts, child safety seats, motorcycle helments, and all the other safety equipment we've developed to prevent dumbasses from dying.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:49 pm

Waaah!! My FREEEEDUMB!!!