bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Boston Bruins
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:58 pm

Penguins' Palffy retires

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Veteran winger Ziggy Palffy announced his retirement Wednesday, a move that left the Pittsburgh Penguins without their second leading scorer and another question mark in a puzzling, disappointing season.

Palffy wasn't at a news conference held by general manager Craig Patrick during the team's practice Wednesday. Patrick wouldn't comment on a Slovak newspaper report that Palffy retired because of a lingering shoulder injury.

"No, I'm not going to talk about our discussion," Patrick said, noting that Palffy cited "personal reasons" for his decision. Palffy told Patrick of his decision Tuesday morning. They agreed not to announce it until Wednesday because Patrick hoped Palffy would reconsider.

"I was surprised," Patrick said. "He came in, he closed the door. ... It became pretty apparent once he started (talking) that he was heading down that path."

The 33-year-old Palffy was injured while playing for the Los Angeles Kings at Anaheim in January 2004. He had reconstructive surgery on his right shoulder twice, but the problems persisted. The shoulder injury led to his decision to retire, he told the Sport daily, a Slovak newspaper.

"I have talked to my doctor and he did not recommend a third operation," Palffy told the newspaper.

Palffy's agent, Paul Kraus, didn't immediately return calls from The Associated Press.

Earlier this year, Palffy retired from the Slovak national team ahead of the Turin Olympics.

Patrick said the Penguins had no concerns about Palffy's health when the team signed him to a $13.5 million US, three-year contract in August. He was earning $3.5 million this season and was slated to make $5.5 million in 2006-07 and $4.5 million in 2007-08.

"We didn't sense that there was any problems with the shoulder," Patrick said. "He passed the physical."

Palffy was second in scoring for the Penguins with 42 points (11 goals, 31 assists) in 42 games, spending most of his time on a line with rookie Sidney Crosby, who leads the team with 22 goals and 29 assists.

"It's been tough on him the last 10 to 15 games," said Crosby. "I don't know if he's ever gone that long without scoring one."

Therrien, who replaced coach Eddie Olczyk, said he tried to talk Palffy out of retiring.

"It's a tough decision for him but we have to respect his decision," Therrien said. "He was not playing the way he wished to play and he's not getting any younger."

Palffy is the second free agent the Penguins have lost to injury this season. Goaltender Jocelyn Thibault was expected to miss the rest of the season because of hip surgery.

Other free agents that stoked the Penguins playoff hopes after they acquired the right to pick Crosby in the draft have played below expectations, notably defenceman Sergei Gonchar who signed a $25 million, five-year contract in August.

Gonchar has 22 points in 43 games, after averaging 59 points over the past five seasons.

The Penguins have the second-worst record in the NHL at 11-26-9. They are mired in a seven-game losing streak, 19 points out of a playoff spot with 36 games to play. They fired coach Eddie Olczyk in December and replaced him with Michel Therrien.

"It's been an interesting year for sure, there's no doubt about that," Patrick said. "It's the new NHL and it hasn't unfolded as we expected, but there's still a half season left and we'll see how it goes the rest of the way."

Patrick wasn't immediately sure who would take Palffy's roster spot, but the team announced goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury will stay with the team the rest of the season. That had been unclear mostly because Fleury stands to make about $3 million in playing-time bonuses if he stays with the Penguins.

In 684 career NHL games over 12 seasons, Palffy had 329 goals with 384 assists.

He was drafted by the New York Islanders in the second round (26th overall) of the 1991 entry draft. He played six seasons with the Islanders (1993-1999), recording 331 points (168-163) in 331 games. Palffy scored 40 or more goals in three straight seasons with the Islanders (1995-96, 1996-97, 1997-98).

He was traded to Los Angeles on June 20, 1999, and played five seasons with the Kings (1999-2004), recording 340 points (150-190) in 311 games.

Penguins acquire Cairns from Panthers

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:03 pm

Can't blame him at all. Now it's Lemieux's turn...

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:14 pm

Couldn't agree more. Owner on the bench? Bad idea. Dinosaur-owner on the bench? Even worse. Probably too late for that team anyway. There are hardly any hockey fans left in Pittsburgh anymore anyways. My stepdaughter and her boyfriend(HUGE Lemieux fan) went to P-burgh for a game a couple of weeks ago and the arena was half empty and NONE of the folks they talked to gave a crap about the team. Its all about the football there. Too bad.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:20 pm

Well, the Steelers are doing very well down here. I'll be at the Ottawa game on the 2nd, maybe I'll get a better seat now! I just want to see my team play for a change instead of watching the Pens get slaughtered every other night.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:21 pm

ZIGGY NO! ... all my favorite players are retiring =(

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:04 am

That's too bad, I really liked Palffy.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:07 am

He was probably sick and tired of playing for a team that put an "A" on the jersey of an 18 year old kid.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:01 pm

I'm trying to decide if $13.5 million is worth a bum shoulder and bruised ego....

Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:22 pm

QBC QBC:
He was probably sick and tired of playing for a team that put an "A" on the jersey of an 18 year old kid.

Maybe so, but when that kid is leading the team in scoring, I think an 'A' is justified.

The retirement is definately a shocker, though. I never knew the shoulder was so bad. He was always a high pick in the pool but someone new always comes along.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Boston Bruins
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:46 pm

daVinci daVinci:
QBC QBC:

Maybe so, but when that kid is leading the team in scoring, I think an 'A' is justified.

BS!!!! He's a damn rookie! He shouldn't be allowed to wear the 'A' even if he is the best player in the league!!! (Which he is not)

Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:13 am

I don't think that being a rookie precludes you from taking a leadership role on a team.

Bobby Orr was an assistant in his rookie year.
http://www.dropthepucks.com/sotg/The%20Orr.htm

Not to compare the abilities of the two players, but to bestow an 'A' on an exceptional player is not unheard of.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Boston Bruins
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:36 pm

daVinci daVinci:
I don't think that being a rookie precludes you from taking a leadership role on a team.

Bobby Orr was an assistant in his rookie year.
http://www.dropthepucks.com/sotg/The%20Orr.htm

Not to compare the abilities of the two players, but to bestow an 'A' on an exceptional player is not unheard of.

From your link:

$1:
The "A" was probably added when it got to Niagara Falls. There is no evidence that Orr was an assistant captain in 1966-67.

(66-67 was Orr's first season)

You also need to take into consideration that alot of teams rotate an "A" and a rookie may have worn one in such a way. No matter who it is, a rookie should not be wearing any letter permanently in their first season, IMO.

Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:40 pm

Nice eye. I stand corrected.