canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:27 am

Does anyone know a good NATURAL way of getting rid of ants? I don't want to use of those poison things (because my dog will chew pretty much anything he finds that looks remotely like a toy)..

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:29 am

snookums snookums:
Does anyone know a good NATURAL way of getting rid of ants? I don't want to use of those poison things (because my dog will chew pretty much anything he finds that looks remotely like a toy)..

Diatomaceous earth,available at most hardware stores.It contains diatoms which are microscopic sea shells.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:30 am

I'm having the same problem snookums, I've tried using super hot spices like chilli and one other but the name alludes me. Nothing holistic has worked so far. I've tried drowning the ant hills but the little buggers build boats out of my plants. Gurrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, they've distroyed half my garden.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:32 am

snookums snookums:
Assuming they're in a place you can dig, find two seperated anthills. Take a shovelful of one hill and carry it over to the other - the ants from each colony will fight each other until most of them are gone.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:32 am

Scrappy Scrappy:
I'm having the same problem snookums, I've tried using super hot spices like chilli and one other but the name alludes me. Nothing holistic has worked so far. I've tried drowning the ant hills but the little buggers build boats out of my plants. Gurrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, they've distroyed half my garden.

Diatoamceous earth,all natural and good for most hard shelled insects.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:33 am

Blue_Nose Blue_Nose:
snookums snookums:
Assuming they're in a place you can dig, find two seperated anthills. Take a shovelful of one hill and carry it over to the other - the ants from each colony will fight each other until most of them are gone.
That ways more fun for sure.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:34 am

Thanks - I'll try the dirt and boiling water for outside!! They won't be hard to find, I have the ants version of Mount Everest in my backyard...

What about in the house though? I can't find out where they're coming from so i can't seal the hole yet.. Any natural products??

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:35 am

snookums snookums:
Thanks - I'll try the dirt and boiling water for outside!! They won't be hard to find, I have the ants version of Mount Everest in my backyard...

What about in the house though? I can't find out where they're coming from so i can't seal the hole yet.. Any natural products??
I know one.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:45 am

ziggy ziggy:
snookums snookums:

I know one.

Would you like to sharing it with me? You know, sharing is fun :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:51 am

snookums snookums:
ziggy ziggy:
snookums snookums:

I know one.

Would you like to sharing it with me? You know, sharing is fun :lol: :lol:

ok but dont tell too many people....it's called "Diatomaceous earth" :wink:

Chemfree makes some called "insectigone" and its D.earth(silicone dioxide).It looks like flour,can be used indoors and is safe around pets. Its really microscopic seashells that are razor sharp to an ant,once they contact it the diatoms stick to their body and they take it back to the nest slicing and dicing as they go.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:55 am

Ahhhhhhh I see - I didn't know you could use the 'earth' indoors :oops: :oops:

Thanks for the tip!!!!! R=UP

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:16 pm

Thanks Ziggy is it easy to find in the Hardware store?

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:28 pm

Scrappy Scrappy:
Thanks Ziggy is it easy to find in the Hardware store?

I found this one

If Rona carries something like that, I would assume most hardware stores also have it...

New Jersey Devils
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:18 am

I have a huge spider by the front door of my house back home that I don't want, I could pack him up and send him to you, so you could use.

Seriously I just use gasoline and pour it on the ants, but I think that is illegal to do now. (Speaking of ants damn there is a ton of ant hills here in Oakville *_*)

Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:07 am

Because I have Animals and kids and I can't use strong chemicals around the inside or outside of my house to kill ants/bugs...I was looking around online too find a natural and safe way too kill the buggers with out my dogs or my kids getting sick...So if you want u can try this it works.. :)

ANT CONTROL TONIC #1
4 to 5 tbsp. cornmeal
3 tbsp. bacon grease
3 tbsp. baking powder
3 packages of yeast (I would opt for the rapid rise)
Mix cornmeal & bacon grease into a paste, then add baking powder &
yeast. Dab the gooey mix on the insides of jar lids, and
set them near the ant hills.
When ants eat this mixture, they swell up and go to the big ant hill in
the sky.