CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:58 pm

It looks as if the company intends to ship me off to the so called center of the universe in about 8 months time. In a way I'm kind of glad because it will get me out of working graveyard shift in rural B.C. but at the same time I kind of have mixed feelings about Toronto {aka New York Lite} after having checked it out twice last year.

On the upside though I think Ontario and its surrounding provinces are generally better places to live {culturally, economically and politically} than is B.C. and I can do a lot of interesting travelling with my free rail pass given all the places within easy reach of Toronto by rail.

I'm just hoping that I can get used to Toronto itself though since it was a bit of culture shock, and I've live in quite a few different cities.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:34 am

Rosco: I myself haven't been to "New York Lite" in years so I can't comment on the city but I thought I would tell you about my cousin who was transferred there a few years ago.

She was a born and bred Winnipegger who was happy to remain in Winnipeg until she got the word that she was being transferred to Toronto. At first, she thought it was a disaster and for the first few months in T.O. she disliked the place. She thought the people weren't friendly and that the place was cold and impersonal, but after those first few months she settled in and began to like it. Now she loves it and is always quick to come to T.O.'s defence when somebody slags it (usually someone in the family back in Winnipeg). From the sounds of it I doubt that she will be leaving Toronto anytime soon...

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:49 am

I moved to Toronto myself a few months ago , and the city is not as bad as most say. People aren’t rude or violent, just busy. I can't quite say how it would be to someone coming from BC. All I can really say is Toronto isn’t a cesspool of crime and its not full of jerks. I mean yes there are some nut jobs there, but the same ratio of nut jobs to sane people as any other place, it’s just that Toronto is bigger.
( example :1crazy guy for every 3000 sane people. Its the same there AND in Toronto, but Toronto has a large population so they are more frequent lol)
Sure I have come across some people talking to themselves on the subway or a guy shouting at birds, but to me that’s just another part of Toronto culture lol
I had no trouble fitting in, its a great city full of interesting people. you can take the ttc within 2 blocks of anywhere in Toronto. And after you live there a while you will notice the city isn’t as big as you may think it is.
its 10minutes to 4 am right now , so if I don’t make sense or have a lot of typos it's cause I’m tired. Anyway , don't let Toronto intimidate you, you may enjoy it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:33 am

Good luck and this song was playing on my pc as I read your post.
$1:
I'm sittin' in the railway station
Got a ticket for my destination
On a tour of one night stands
My suitcase and guitar in hand
And every stop is neatly planned
For a poet and a one man band

Homeward bound
I wish I was
Homeward bound
Home, where my thought's escaping
Home, where my music's playing
Home, where my love lies waiting
Silently for me

Everyday's an endless stream
Of cigarettes and magazines
And each town looks the same to me
The movies and the factories
And every stranger's face I see
Reminds me that I long to be

Homeward bound
I wish I was
Homeward bound
Silently for me

Tonight I'll sing my songs again
I'll play the game and pretend
But all my words come back to me
In shades of mediocrity
Like emptiness in harmony
I need someone to comfort me

Homeward bound
I wish I was
Homeward bound
Silently for me
Silently for me
Silently for me

I was born in Winnipeg,moved to Toronto where dad managed the woolworths,lived in what was called "Cooksville"then hopped a train west with the family and headed for the rockies which I have called home for allmost 40 years now.

Wont you miss the mountains?
And the fresh mountain air?

Wild horses couldnt drag me out of these mountains. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:32 pm

I've lived in other big cities {L.A. for one} but Toronto *seemed* like it was more urban and anonymous, I did like a lot of things about it though I will miss the mountains and scenery of B.C.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:58 pm

I never lived in either, but I used to have to travel to both Vancouver and Toronto a lot. I always found the people in Toronto to be friendlier and less self-involved.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:27 pm

I have lived in Toronto all my life!!

I find the people here awesome (some crazy..but you get that anywhere)

The night life is fantastic..

We have so many resturants and cultures to choose from

Very easy here to make friends !!

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:59 pm

I lived there until I was six(In the sixties.), then I lived there for a couple of years in my twenties(The eighties.). It's what you make of it.