canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:43 pm

Title: France's top weatherman sparks storm over book questioning climate change
Category: Environmental
Posted By: N_Fiddledog
Date: 2015-10-15 11:48:19

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:43 pm

Wow, with a reaction like that you'd think he'd published a cartoon of Mohamed!!! ROTFL

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:00 pm

Just another case of STFU. Even when we are wrong we are right.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:13 pm

Maybe he got off easy.

Judges plan to outlaw climate change 'denial�

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:49 pm

as a scientist, I don't necessarily need other scientist to tell me there is an issue with our climate. Just look around you, perma frost is melting, ice caps are shrinking, animals are expanding north into what wasn't there typical domain before. Birds migration patterns have changed, and the one thing I have noticed, bleaching of the corals.

To me, the debate is not IF the climate is changing but how are we going to deal with it. I admit I am skeptical about this being a 'human created' issue, but you can't deny that the world is warming. Our planet is telling us that much. We don't have enough record or good enough models to say, well it's just because of our industrial activity or not. The one thing that should be obvious to us, is the world is actually warming, who cares HOW. It is possible that this is a natural event in an inter-glacial cycle. We just do not know, but we need to start thinking about what if anything, we are going to do about it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:43 pm

uwish uwish:
The one thing that should be obvious to us, is the world is actually warming, who cares HOW.

What skeptics are asking is how much. If all you're talking about is nice weather, we're wondering how scared we should be?

Geologic history has shown us warmer. Polar bears have seen warmer. Corals have seen much much warmer. Everything you name has seen warmer and even hotter.

The chicken littles of politics, not science are pulling out their hair and screeching "Doom, Doom, Doom!" in hopes of scaring people with nightmare chimeras of catastrophe. Some of us want to see more evidence of that than a computer program and a press release of the week from the state run media.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:19 pm

Yep, it's a vast left-wing conspiracy.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:46 pm

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
uwish uwish:
The one thing that should be obvious to us, is the world is actually warming, who cares HOW.

What skeptics are asking is how much. If all you're talking about is nice weather, we're wondering how scared we should be?

Geologic history has shown us warmer. Polar bears have seen warmer. Corals have seen much much warmer. Everything you name has seen warmer and even hotter.

The chicken littles of politics, not science are pulling out their hair and screeching "Doom, Doom, Doom!" in hopes of scaring people with nightmare chimeras of catastrophe. Some of us want to see more evidence of that than a computer program and a press release of the week from the state run media.

I know they all seen warmer, that didn't have anything to do with my comment...I am pondering what if anything we should or should not be doing about it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:00 pm

That's cool. Just as long as what you're wanting to do doesn't involve firing, imprisoning, or putting people up against the wall (Yes it happened. Look up Lysenkoism) for disagreeing with your hypothesis.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:10 am

http://www.thegwpf.com/28155/

interesting read.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:18 am

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
That's cool. Just as long as what you're wanting to do doesn't involve firing, imprisoning, or putting people up against the wall for disagreeing with your hypothesis.

Imprisoning or putting people up against the wall? Of course not. But firing? People get fired for incompetence all the time. Climate change denial could be an example of incompetence that could and, in some circumstances should, lead to firing. A highschool teacher, for example, denying climate change in front of a captive audience of impressionable minds should certainly be fired.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:16 am

What about this then?

$1:
Al Gore's 'nine Inconvenient Untruths'

Al Gore's environmental documentary An Inconvenient Truth contains nine key scientific errors, a High Court judge ruled yesterday.
The judge declined to ban the Academy Award-winning film from British schools, but ruled that it can only be shown with guidance notes to prevent political indoctrination.
In the documentary, directed by Davis Guggenheim, the former US vice president and environmental activist calls on people to fight global warming because "humanity is sitting on a ticking time bomb".
But Judge Michael Burton ruled yesterday that errors had arisen "in the context of alarmism and exaggeration" in order to support Mr Gore's thesis on global warming.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/e ... ruths.html

They were teaching An Inconvenient Truth to a 'captive audience' as fact. It was proven false in court. Do the teachers guilty of the offence get fired for that offence retroactively. What about the ones who continue to teach proven falsehoods under the judge's ruling of you can teach one side if you also teach the other? I think that was his ruling. It was something like that.

I notice you use the word the waffle words "could be". Under what circumstances would your firing for global warming skepticism be enforced then? Who would be deciding what was true or false in this case? You?

What about Ross McKitrick then? He's a teacher with a captive audience who's skeptical of AGW catastrophism. Should he be fired under your authoritarian system?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:38 am

1. No. Teaching "An Inconvenient Truth" is perfectly okay. Likewise, teaching evolution, okay; teaching creationism, not okay.

2. Yes. Me.

3. Depends on what he's teaching, but university isn't highschool. You knew that, right? Sketicism of AGW catastrophism is a different thing from teaching climate change denial.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:41 am

Wow, things are going to be tough in your new regime of...I don't know, what are we calling it? Authoritarian Libertarianism? Regressive Progressivism?

So it doesn't matter if something like Inconvenient Truth is shown not to be based on fact in a court of law. Your word on what truth is supersedes any objective study of data.

Sounds familiar.

Now let's talk about why a citizenry needs to be armed. :wink:

And nobody denies climate changes. Those who have lost or been denied jobs, or just been pressured to keep quiet on the risk of losing employment don't deny the climate changes.

They aren't convinced arbitrary, authoritarian, collectivist action is necessary in response to a dodgy hypothesis based on computer model predictions that have never shown themselves to be accurate. They're skeptic. They're waiting to see this real world, data driven evidence of imminent catastrophe that has yet to be presented.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:03 am

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
So it doesn't matter if something like Inconvenient Truth is shown not to be base on fact in a court of law. You're word on what truth is supersedes any objective study of data.

Just making shit up, eh? The court ruled there were errors in the film. It wasn't "shown not to be base on fact". Exaggerate much? You understand that the film has to elements: what has happened and what might happen as a result? The film nails #1 and does a fair job of hypothesizing about #2.

Fiddly Fiddly:
Now let's talk about why a citizenry needs to be armed. :wink:

Or we could stick to one of your crazy notions at a time.

Fiddler Fiddler:
And nobody denies climate changes. Those who have lost or been denied jobs, or just been pressured to keep quiet on the risk of losing employment don't deny the climate changes.

More loonie conspiracies. And you're not denying climate change anymore? Incremental acquiescence, huh?
:lol: