canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:00 pm

Title: Religious children are meaner than their secular counterparts, study finds | World news | The Guardian
Category: Religion
Posted By: andyt
Date: 2015-11-08 00:28:05

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:00 pm

does not surprise me, they are brainwashed from a very early age to start treating things a specific way. Anyone that doesn't fit into their religion's box of shapes is always treated with disdain.

Something I have known for a very long time.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:07 pm

If only those religious children were enlightened by their own intelligence and not some phony god's blessing.

May they one day lay down the cross and instead carry the weight of their fedora.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:09 pm

The numbers couldn't have been skewed with almost double the number of muslims versus Christians. I'd like to see a breakdown by denomination before I I give this any credence.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:10 pm

Jehovas' Witnesses, doubly so.

I think it comes from them being taught 'all you have to do is follow these ten things, and every thing will be taken care of'. 'And when you don't you can ask for forgiveness.'

Poppycock! "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." - Ghandi

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:11 pm

i think it applies to all religions equally, I wouldn't expect Catholics to be less assholistic than say Muslims...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:15 pm

uwish uwish:
i think it applies to all religions equally, I wouldn't expect Catholics to be less assholistic than say Muslims...

I'm not saying that every religious group doesn't have it's assholes. But for sheer evil mean-spirited I'd say the title belongs to islam.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:35 pm

When you decide to live your life based on a book of short stories and a mythical being, it's it any wonder why it's not all that good for you and your 'assholism'?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:49 pm

It's because children aren't capable of absorbing religious teaching in the philosophical way that the religion intends.

For example, a religious child understands that murder is wrong, but it's only because god says so. Full stop. If you break any of god's rules, he will catch you and punish you in the most horrific way, by throwing you in an eternally burning fire. If the bible also said don't wear a purple hat on a Tuesday, that would also be a mortal sin. To children, God a is cruel dictator, who is to be obeyed at all costs and without question. Children don't really learn morality from religion they learn obedience and harsh punishment only. The two are not the same. To be honest, too many religious adults are the same way.

Adults, especially non-religious ones, have more of an internal moral compass. They understand that murder is intrinsically wrong, not just because some all-knowing all-powerful decreed it so.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:02 pm

$1:
They found that religious belief is a negative influence on children’s altruism.

Uh-huh. Not. :roll:

This conclusion only works if you decide not to consider giving or volunteerism done through religious organizations.

The actual fact remains that religious people are still the most altruistic.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/2015/ ... ons-waning

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:21 pm

If it's motivated by self interest (afraid of not getting into heaven or of going to hell) then it's not altruistic.

Also a lot of religious charity is to further the religion - i.e. handing out bibles in Haiti. Not charity IMO.

Lastly, the church is more altruistic than the members - people give because the church tells them to give and they're afraid of how they would appear in front of their fellow parishioners if they just skipped the collection plate or the church bake sale.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:22 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
$1:
They found that religious belief is a negative influence on children’s altruism.

Uh-huh. Not. :roll:

This conclusion only works if you decide not to consider giving or volunteerism done through religious organizations.

The actual fact remains that religious people are still the most altruistic.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/2015/ ... ons-waning

The quote was referring to children. Children don't donate money.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:25 pm

Children do whatever their adult role models reward them for doing. A child is as likely to give his allowance to a homeless man at the instruction of his parent as he is to spit on a homeless man at the instruction of his parent.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:10 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Lastly, the church is more altruistic than the members - people give because the church tells them to give and they're afraid of how they would appear in front of their fellow parishioners if they just skipped the collection plate or the church bake sale.

Wow, do you even know any religious people? I'm guessing not.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:13 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Wow, do you even know any religious people? I'm guessing not.

Everyone knows that when the offering plate comes around, there's an MC with a mic shouting out who gave what.