canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:53 pm

Not this Canadian - taxes (federal and provincial) were less than a quarter of what I earned last year and was approximately the same as my mortgage payments.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:04 pm

YOu forget that the Fraser Institute is including every conceivable thing that could be called a tax, including CPP and EI contributions, and all taxes that business pays, since in the end you pay it as a consumer. Also HST.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:17 pm

andyt andyt:
and all taxes that business pays, since in the end you pay it as a consumer.

This is flawed because consumers aren't necessarily Canadian families, for example exports. I don't know about you but I personally don't buy much iron ore or crude oil; most of that stuff is sold abroad and accounts for a huge section of our economy so to include those business taxes to the Canadian family tax bill is wrong

And also something like 80% business tax apparently accrues to shareholders not consumers. So I've read anyways.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:19 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Could it be that you're making more money therefore in a higher bracket?

Surely you haven't been earning the same for the past 20 years, what are you an 80 year old pensioner?

first of all I didn't say 20 years I said a decade, which is 10 years, and yes I have normalized any small pay increases, and even though I work for 'big oil' I haven't had one in 4 years.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:40 am

uwish uwish:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Could it be that you're making more money therefore in a higher bracket?

Surely you haven't been earning the same for the past 20 years, what are you an 80 year old pensioner?

first of all I didn't say 20 years I said a decade, which is 10 years, and yes I have normalized any small pay increases, and even though I work for 'big oil' I haven't had one in 4 years.

Well the federal income tax rates are published figures so it's just a matter of fact that they didn't increase.

Also remember that the past 10 years were the Harper government. Are you saying that the Harper Conservatives secretly raised taxes for all Canadians contrary to the publised rate, or did thy just target you specifically?

If everything you've said is accurate, it sounds to me that there's something you're not taking into account, like you've had fewer deductions.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:41 am

shockedcanadian shockedcanadian:
Stratos: Interesting advice and assessment regarding state terror against citizens

Maybe you're a Good German, but I'm not.

No you're just a pathetic human being who want's to blame everyone but his self for not having a job.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:47 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:

Well the federal income tax rates are published figures so it's just a matter of fact that they didn't increase.

Maybe provincial rates increased? Or, he's talking about the Conservative child bonus that was partially taxed back at the end of the year. (Forgets about the bonus he got, just whines about the extra taxes) (just trying to think of valid reasons for his claim.)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:50 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Agreed. Although just a correction, provinces have always been constitutionally responsible for health care. He just cut the amount of federal funding provided.

Do all provinces have a income tax? Asking because not all States do. Some, like Texas, have a higher sales tax and certain cities have an extra gas tax. States with an income tax have a lower sales tax yet still have one.

I find it interesting that your health care tax is generated mostly from the provinces and not the federal government. To me this would indicate that the poorer the province the less health care provided though at the same time the poor provinces are probably the ones needing the most health care. That's just a guess on my part no facts to back it up.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:08 am

stratos stratos:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Agreed. Although just a correction, provinces have always been constitutionally responsible for health care. He just cut the amount of federal funding provided.

Do all provinces have a income tax? Asking because not all States do. Some, like Texas, have a higher sales tax and certain cities have an extra gas tax. States with an income tax have a lower sales tax yet still have one.

Yes, all provinces have personal and corporate income taxes. Alberta, where uwish and I live, used to have a flat rate tax of 10%, but changed that based on income bracket for 2015 and 2016. For example, in 2014, everyone paid 10%. In 2015, earning $125k - $150k, you paid 10.5%, staggered in $50k increments up to $300k, which pays 11.25%.

In 2016, it'll be 12% for the $125k-$150k bracket, up to 15% for over $300k. Basically, in line with other provinces. Corporate income tax was similarly increased to be on par with every other province.

stratos stratos:
I find it interesting that your health care tax is generated mostly from the provinces and not the federal government. To me this would indicate that the poorer the province the less health care provided though at the same time the poor provinces are probably the ones needing the most health care. That's just a guess on my part no facts to back it up.

That goes to the federal 'Equalization' program, where rich province's taxes go to Quebec poorer provinces to cover differences by region. That way poorer provinces (or territories) don't suffer because of low incomes.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:21 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

That goes to the federal 'Equalization' program, where rich province's taxes go to Quebec poorer provinces to cover differences by region. That way poorer provinces (or territories) don't suffer because of low incomes.

:D

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:29 am

$1:

Yeah I seen that thread and my mind was going Ummm isn't Quebec kind of rich. Tourism alone should boost them up a notch or two.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:34 am

stratos stratos:
$1:

Yeah I seen that thread and my mind was going Ummm isn't Quebec kind of rich. Tourism alone should boost them up a notch or two.

They are well off, but they also spend heavily. The way the federal equalization system works, it tend to favour Quebec and the Maritimes as 'have not' and the West and Ontario as 'have'. It's a subject for a whole other thread!

http://www.taxpayer.com/commentaries/-m ... ualization

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:55 am

uwish uwish:
I actually think it is slightly higher, but it's within one standard deviation of my own estimation.

A physicist who does climate data analysis and economic analysis in his spare time. ROTFL

The needle on the Bullshit-meter reads "high".

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:10 am

oh really, its all just math, so if you actually understand how to do some basic math, it's pretty simple. I am a detail orientated person, so I know what my tax rate(s) are, and yeah I can call BS on things because I can do the analysis.

You make is sound as if my life revolves around economic analysis, it doesn't only during the tax season which we are all forced to do every year. And yes, I do my own taxes and yes they have gone up, I was not being specific in regards to federal vs provincial any why should I be? They are all taxes!

Dr Caleb did a nice review of how our taxes went up, I thank him for summarizing that so I wont do that here.

I am glad I can provide some humour at my expense, since I am very interested in things that affect me, and this entire climate discussion where policy and laws are being drafted on things that will inevitably cost me MORE money; you bet I will do my own analysis. I would have thought, it would have been welcomed instead of the normal troll of idiotic voices that simply repeat what they have heard from some two bit agenda driven media site.

But hey, I guess if that's the best you can do..it's the best you can do. You remind me sometimes of another former user on this site, but I think Derbyx was banned years ago now.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:15 am

You're not using any government services either, you say. ROTFL

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next