bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:51 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Our equivalent of veterans day is Remembrance Day. It is a paid holiday in Alberta (if it falls on a workday) but not in most other provinces including my province of Ontario. That said my current employer is a financial institution and so we get the day off with pay as a bankers holiday, including a Monday off if it happens to fall on a weekend (unlike Alberta).

My observation at my current employer and also from a couple of weeks I spent in the Alberta offices of my previous employer that included Remembrance Day is that people simply treat it as a day off or long weekend for fun, relaxation, chores and errands and spend very little time reflecting on veterans Or anything else.

Remembrance Day is a stat holiday everywhere except Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day#Canada

While I can't speak for other Albertans, Remembrance Day ceremonies, both inside and out, are usually quite well attended. The only 'problem' I see is that ceremonies end shortly after 11 a.m., so a fair number of people spend the end afternoon goofing off.

I stand corrected! I knew I should have looked it up first!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:39 pm

I was self employed for a long while and my store was a block down from the Legion. I used to make everyone go ouside; locked the door and watch the parade while I live streamed it. Reopened when we got back from the ceremony at the cenotaph.
Most of the parade watchers followed it there along the sidewalks. Sadly in 2020 the Legion is no more, the war vets and the store are all gone, but the ceremony will still be held.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:34 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
The only 'problem' I see is that ceremonies end shortly after 11 a.m., so a fair number of people spend the end afternoon goofing off.

Not me! I spend the next 12 - 14 hours getting veterans, serving members, RCMP and myself as gnarbled as possible.