Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:44 pm

Integration is a fine thing as long as it's willing. This definately wasn't.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Philidelphia Flyers
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:45 pm

ok he (ridenrain) didn't say anything about that..

thats not cool.. why were they taken away. was it the government that did it?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:48 pm

Yep...and it continued into what they call the 60's scoop as well. It is a deep scar on Canadian history, but today true healing can begin for everyone in Canada. Maybe we can all come to a common ground to put the past behind and become a strong united Canada. Today was paramount in moving forward.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Philidelphia Flyers
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:50 pm

ok... thanks for explaining it

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:58 pm

I sort of expected that folks who read this thread would know the story behind it.

TattoodGirl: Are there any succecss stories from the residential schools or have those been thrown out with the bath water?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Philidelphia Flyers
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:08 pm

nope thats why i said i was ignorant about the whole thing... its all good though

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Edmonton Oilers

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:19 pm

Of course there's Natives who don't see this apology as enough and it's understandable since some can't forget they were basically robbed of their identities, who they are and no amount of money or apologies will ever bring them peace..

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:25 pm

ridenrain ridenrain:
I sort of expected that folks who read this thread would know the story behind it.

TattoodGirl: Are there any succecss stories from the residential schools or have those been thrown out with the bath water?

Oh Ya there is a great book i think you may like 'Finding My Talk' as a good read...it is positive stories that have come out from the schools...

http://www.amazon.com/Finding-My-Talk-R ... 658&sr=1-1

I have also gone to University, have friends, elders and co-workers that had endured the Residential School system....they are strong survivors...they will never forget but they have been damned and determined to make something positive out of their lives to prove to themselves and so many that they are not "Worhtless Indians"

And hell i was a tail end 60's scoop baby....And i am probably as happy and content as they get....and very educated. Not bad for a 'half - breed' :D

Last edited by TattoodGirl on Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:26 pm

Actually I just had a talk with, Right Honorable Stephen Harper.

Me: Can you apologise that you made me pay insurance by law, then I hit a deer, I didnt get a cent.

Stephen Harper: F*** you, go F*** yourself.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:34 pm

commanderkai commanderkai:
I agree with everybody, it was a very touching speech, but after the last generation of those who were directly affected by the schools die, I don't want it used as an excuse. Ever.

Well considering the last residential school closed in 1996 you might have a while to wait.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:36 pm

TattoodGirl TattoodGirl:
I agree with everybody, it was a very touching speech, but after the last generation of those who were directly affected by the schools die, I don't want it used as an excuse. Ever.

The last residential school to shut down was in 1984 in Mission...not a very nice one...you will get you wish in quite a few years.

Good post but you are off by 12 years - its actually 1996 and it was either the Gordon's or Lebret residential schools.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:38 pm

Donny_Brasco Donny_Brasco:
TattoodGirl TattoodGirl:

The last residential school to shut down was in 1984 in Mission...not a very nice one...you will get you wish in quite a few years.

Good post but you are off by 12 years - its actually 1996 and it was either the Gordon's or Lebret residential schools.

OH ya!!!! I forgot about that....holy shit i was way off...I was thinking too close to home again...thanks for the correct!!! :D

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:40 pm

Donny_Brasco Donny_Brasco:

Well considering the last residential school closed in 1996 you might have a while to wait.

Which is fine, but I'm not having sympathy if they pull "We need reparations because our great great grandparents were enslaved" BS.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:43 pm

Biblical_Christian Biblical_Christian:
Actually I just had a talk with, Right Honorable Stephen Harper.

Me: Can you apologise that you made me pay insurance by law, then I hit a deer, I didnt get a cent.

Stephen Harper: F*** you, go F*** yourself.

Why do you have to ruin a good thread? That makes no sence at all anyways.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:46 pm

This has really screwed up the adoption process as well. So many families have been torn asunder from it and now over half of the kids waiting for adoption in BC are native and a large portion of those suffer from fetal alcohol. It's hard enough to adopt, and even harder if you want to adopt a native child as they have to check with every band before they can clear it and even then it may not take and on top of that all the trauma... It's a huge mess. It's going to take a long time to sort out and some will never recover.