PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:56 am

Title: Poland the next Bay of Pigs
Category: Business
Posted By: tritium
Date: 2008-08-26 11:51:19

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:56 am

Canada needs to join the US missile defence shield.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:57 am

Why?.......everyone knows it doesn't work. Even the Russians.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:04 pm

We need missile defence about as much as we need asteroid defence. That is to say not at all for the cost/benefit ratio is makes the whole issue moot. It's 21st century snake oil for militarists, nothing more.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:05 pm

Apparently the Americans claim they have worked all the bugs out, if thats true or not it remains to be seen. I also highly doubt the left wing will let anything like that happen, they are already raising a stink about whats going on up there at the moment.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:09 pm

A couple things....

1. If everyone is so sure that missile defenses don't work then why get all upset about their deployment? Wouldn't the proper reaction be: "Oh, those silly Americans wasting money on missile defense!"

2. The reaction of the Russians to threaten Poland with nuclear weapons is the finest argument for Poland to have a missile defense program that I can think of. It is also a fine argument for Poland to pursue a nuclear weapons program of their own.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Scape Scape:
We need missile defence about as much as we need asteroid defence.

You're a little out of step with the consensus of scientific thought on this one.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... roids.html

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... eroid.html

http://www.space.com/news/060628_neo_workshop.html

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:13 pm

1. Ever heard of keeping up with the Jones? Everyone will be expected to support the new shiny.

2. Escalation as a deterrent only works so far, there is a reason they call it brinkmanship. Once you go over the edge, no take backs. Would you support Cuban Nukes?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:14 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

2. The reaction of the Russians to threaten Poland with nuclear weapons is the finest argument for Poland to have a missile defense program that I can think of. It is also a fine argument for Poland to pursue a nuclear weapons program of their own.

i disagree. The russians are threatening poland BECAUSE of the missile defense, and because they question their intentions.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:17 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
A couple things....

1. If everyone is so sure that missile defenses don't work then why get all upset about their deployment? Wouldn't the proper reaction be: "Oh, those silly Americans wasting money on missile defense!"

#2 Is a VERY bad idea though. I am all for defence, but the less nukes on the planet the better.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:18 pm

Demian_164 Demian_164:
i disagree. The russians are threatening poland BECAUSE of the missile defense, and because they question their intentions.

But missile defenses don't work (right?) so what's to get upset about?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:21 pm

The trillion dollar price tag comes to mind...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:21 pm

i never said they didnt work did i? The russians question whether it really is a missile defense system or if it is targeted at them. Like i said, they dont trust the stated intentions of the program-they dont believe it is strictly missile defense-which is why they are upset.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:22 pm

Scape Scape:
1. Ever heard of keeping up with the Jones? Everyone will be expected to support the new shiny.

The Russians already have the most extensive ABM defenses in the world, why should they be upset if Poland wants to be able to shoot down a mere ten missiles when Russia can supposedly shoot down hundreds of them?

Scape Scape:
2. Escalation as a deterrent only works so far, there is a reason they call it brinkmanship. Once you go over the edge, no take backs. Would you support Cuban Nukes?

Please explain to me the logic of condemning defensive weapons while being perfectly fine with offensive weapons?

What is wrong with a nation that has no offensive nuclear capability being able to defend itself and others from nuclear attack?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:22 pm

Scape Scape:
The trillion dollar price tag comes to mind...

You're not paying for it so your point is????