canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:29 pm

Are you a bit dim?

I'm saying that we need to rehack the citizenship system.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:31 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
Are you a bit dim?

I'm saying that we need to rehack the citizenship system.

It's a shame you aren't able to respond without a personal attack every time.

I know you are. I'm asking what you propose to do about the people who are already citizens. Like the man featured in this article, like you, and like me.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:35 pm

I've already answered that. Scroll back.

Did you not read it?

Asking if you are dim was a question, not an attack, as you don't seem able to comprehend what I'm writing on my posts.

I apologise if my points are too complicated.

And he may be like me, but he's not like you unless you are an immigrant. Are you an immigrant?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:40 pm

Jason Kenney Jason Kenney:
Our government does believe that the rights of Canadians abroad must be respected regardless of whether they are new Canadians or old Canadians. Without regard to whether they were naturalized in Canada or born into citizenship here, once someone raises their hand and takes the oath of allegiance – I’m the Minister of Citizenship – once they become a citizen they possess all of the rights of a Canadian and they inherit the protection of the Government of Canada with their rights abroad.

Seems pretty clear.

I think the Conservative government is handling this issue well by the way.. It just seems like the "Conservatives" here are saying they should ignore this man.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:46 pm

Yes, I get your point. And my point was that citizenship is too easy to get. This is another example of so-called "Canadians", who come here, get a passport and bugger off to where they came from. They see citizenship as a 'get out of jail card' and nothing else.

I don't think it's too much to ask immigrants to Canada to actually contribute to Canada instead of going back to wherever they came from once they have a Canadian passport.

I take it you think it's ok for these citizens of convenience to do this?

I'm an immigrant and I have sworn loyalty to Canada. I'm here and my kids were born here. I contribute to Canada and pay my taxes. I take a dim view of these guys who just come here to get what they can and leave.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:46 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
I've already answered that. Scroll back.

Did you not read it?

Asking if you are dim was a question, not an attack, as you don't seem able to comprehend what I'm writing on my posts.

I apologise if my points are too complicated.

And he may be like me, but he's not like you unless you are an immigrant. Are you an immigrant?

You really need to relax a bit.

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
He's a plastic Canadian that was born somewhere else, got his citizenship through our ridiculously easy system that asks for zero commitment to Canada, then left and went back to his country of birth, got arrested and screams for Canada to help him.

And you think that's ok?

I didn't realize when you said this, that you really meant the Canadian government should do everything they can to help him. That part was a bit complicated.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:54 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
Yes, I get your point. And my point was that citizenship is too easy to get. This is another example of so-called "Canadians", who come here, get a passport and bugger off to where they came from. They see citizenship as a 'get out of jail card' and nothing else.

I don't think it's too much to ask immigrants to Canada to actually contribute to Canada instead of going back to wherever they came from once they have a Canadian passport.

I'm an immigrant and I have sworn loyalty to Canada. I'm here and my kids were born here. I contribute to Canada and pay my taxes. I take a dim view of these guys who just come here to get what they can and leave.

I agree with everything you have said here. I don't see how we can impose restrictions on current citizens though.

I am not an immigrant. My grandma and grandpa fled Hungary with my father after the war, if that counts.. I have never seen anyone speak as passionately about Canada as my grandfather did.

I take a dim view of people who take advantage of our system, but I don't know the circumstances either.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:04 pm

Curtman Curtman:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:

I agree with everything you have said here. I don't see how we can impose restrictions on current citizens though.

I am not an immigrant. My grandma and grandpa fled Hungary with my father after the war, if that counts.. I have never seen anyone speak as passionately about Canada as my grandfather did.

I take a dim view of people who take advantage of our system, but I don't know the circumstances either.

Well we can't really. That horse has bolted.

We have an obligation to treat all citizens the same.

I agree with it but I don't like seeing these plastics benefitting from the protection of citizenship when they don’t live here. According to the OP from CTV, this guy has settled in Kenya.
He came here as a refugee from Ethiopia, presumably freeing oppression, yet he goes back there to sell clothes? He couldn’t have been that scared.
Even if his goal was to do business in Somalia, when he went there Ethiopian troops had occupied most of Somalia, and that was pretty common knowledge.

There are too many ‘refugees’ who once they get a passport, head back to their old country to visit family, open businesses etc.
Case in point are the thousands of Lebanese who visit or actually live in the same country they fled. It’s still in the centre of a shit-storm in the Middle East yet they go back and expect us to bail them out.
There are numerous others who have more allegiance to their countries of birth than they do to Canada.

I think we should demand more of immigrants who want to be citizens and I’m glad we agree on something!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:20 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
I think we should demand more of immigrants who want to be citizens and I’m glad we agree on something!

Same here. I just have no idea what that something should be. I don't agree with refusing all refugees, but how is the system broken which should be doing a proper screening process?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:30 pm

Well, I think we need to take party politics out of the IRB for a start. Too many scam artists are getting through the current IRB.

I also think we should extend the residency period for citizenship.

The test is a joke and it should be only taken in English or French. As it is it can be taken in about 120 languages.
It should be similar to at least a High School course.
Those who can afford should pay for 'Citizenship School', those that can't should get it free.
But it should be a real learning experience and an introduction to our culture, values and inspire newcomers to become part of our country.

I also think that citizens born outside of Canada should have restrictions on how long they can spend outside Canada for say the first 10 years of their citizenship.

If they spend more than a certain amount of time outside the country, maybe over 24 months, we should not renew their passports until they are back in Canada for a set amount of time, say 12 or 24 months.

Canadian citizenship should be more valued and cherished.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:32 pm

Anyone that "loses" their passport on the trip over gets sent back at the cost of the carrier who brought them.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:37 pm

ridenrain ridenrain:
Anyone that "loses" their passport on the trip over gets sent back at the cost of the carrier who brought them.

Another good point. We accept people and don't really know who they are.

If they don't want us to know who they are in the country they came from, there is a good reason.

We have enough Canadian born criminals, we don't need other countries crims who have flushed their ID down the aircraft toilet.