Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:18 am

I still can't see Steve and Jack agreeing to anything to prevent an election.

Help the unemployed? That's the 360 hour EI threshold. No way the Tories will go for that.

$1:
NDP could save Tories from the fall of defeat

OTTAWA — The NDP could save the Conservative government from a fall defeat if the Tories make strides to boost pensions, slay bank and credit card fees and help the unemployed.

Senior New Democrats suggested the 36-member caucus could save the country from an unwanted fall vote if Prime Minister Stephen Harper agrees to support key NDP priorities.

“The Prime Minister needs to decide if he wants to call an election or call Mr. Layton,” said NDP national director Brad Lavigne.

Lavigne said the caucus would take a wait-and-see approach to the Liberal non-confidence motion expected this fall. The NDP is prepared to fight an election but it hasn’t closed the door to working with the Tories, he said.

“If (the Conservatives) want to start making gestures in the interests of all Canadians such as working on pensions (and) bank fees or other things that are of interest to Canadians then I don’t think we will have to foist the fourth general election on Canadians in five years,” said NDP deputy leader and finance critic Thomas Mulcair.

NDP leader Jack Layton has confirmed meetings with Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff and Bloc Quebecois leader Gilles Duceppe in coming days. Duceppe has scheduled a press conference for Wednesday in Laval where he will state his party’s position.

Conservatives slammed Ignatieff’s bid to provoke a fall election as political opportunism.

“Michael Ignatieff believes we should head into an un-useful early election, I think that’s unfortunate,” Infrastructure Minister John Baird said. “This is about Michael Ignatieff and political opportunism, he’s not doing what is in the best interest of Canadians, he’s doing what is in the best interest of himself.”

http://www.ottawasun.com/news/canada/20 ... 6-sun.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:04 am

Iggy made that speech to see if he could have any effect on the polls in the coming weeks. The liberal party hacks will be closely monitoring all the polls looking for a bounce, no bounce no election .

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:19 am

Iggy: A Canadian is an AMERICAN is a Canadian. You are only a Canadian when the opportunity presents itself. You flake!

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:54 am

Blah blah blah I wish the opposition would shut up about forcing an election. Little boys who cried wolf! Don't bring it up until you are actually forcing one. I think they milked this confidence vote threat for all its worth.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:51 pm

Libs are kicking up the rhetoric against the NDP on this.

Found on "Confessions of a Liberal Mind" blog.
http://www.confessionsofaliberalmind.co ... while.html

The irony is funny as hell. I recall the NDP's voting record was very strong while the Liberals were out playing miniature golf at Dion's place.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:54 pm

Jason kenney Dashes NDP hopes of avoiding an election

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:32 pm

"They (NDP) drink their own kool-aid"

ROTFL

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:47 pm

Not sure if this already been said earlier in the thread, (sorry do not have time to go through all of it) :lol:

Not sure many Canadians feel like having yet another election.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:00 pm

Iggy has nothing to lose.

It's not his dime, it's ours.

He wins = he grabs the power, which is the only reason he's in Canada to begin with.

He loses = he quits the LP and goes running home to Harvard.

That clown couldn't care less about Canada or what Canadians want, let alone what Canadians DON'T want, which is another election.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:32 pm

I thought the headline was "Liberals will no longer support Ignatief government

:wink:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:42 pm

Harper may not go down in history for forming a majority government, but he is one hell of a strategist, and I beleive he will be noted for taking down 3 Liberal leaders.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:07 pm

if this backfires on the Liberals, I think Canadians WILL vote CPC. I don't want a 5th election in 5 years do you?? And, considering Iggy has posted ZILCH about his platform I think it was pretty arrogant of him to make comments like he has.