CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:32 pm

I don't know if this has been started before, but lets try anyway. Let's hear about the stupid things anybody has seen or heard the yanks say or do up here.

1) I was in Fort Erie last July, and I saw a car with New York plates coming over with Skis on the roof.

2) While a scout leader, we were at a Can/Am camp in Niagara Falls ON. We had these yank ADULTS convinced Canada had gone to metric time.

3) (Best one...or most pathetic ) We pulled into a restaurant in Kentucky once after a paintball tournament. The waitress was serving us and must have noticed the Canadian flags on our jersey's and asked us if we were from Canada. Then we told her we just drove down for the tournament, and much to our amusement, she asked in the true american naive way... "y'all got roads down from Canada?" I excused myself and went to the WASHROOM and laughed. The adventure doens't end there. Before leaving...I went to the payphone to call mom and tell her we'd be a bit late. Now the operator was very helpful until she asked where the 905 area code is. When she found out it was Canada, she said she could complete the call... because she didn't speak Canadian.

Anyone else have experiences with the geniuses to the south?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:29 pm

LMFAO....Doesn't speak Canadian!!!!!!! God bless em eh! I don't know if this falls into your what your looking for cause it aint that funny...but its the truth...A friend of mine had a patry at his place in Nfld about 10 yrs ago now...a couple guys from that States should up with some friends of ours...They were pretty good people to start with...later that night 1 of them got into it with 1 of the Newfies...now normally we would let this go, call it the evenings entertainment...but the guy from the States pulled a knife......now this type of shit doesnt happen in Nfld..it just doesnt....In a second that poor bastard was taken down by my friend and a half dozen other guys while his brother opened the patio door...then my friend picked him up and just threw...literally threw the guy out the patio door...the funny thing about that was that there wasnt a patio on the other side of the door...just a 5-6' drop to the lawn...he then turns to the 2nd guy and says "YOU, should leave!"...he must have been quite a bit brighter than his friend cause he didnt say a word just grabbed his jacket and left....give credit to them..they did the Canadian thing and appollogized the next day....that took some balls!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:57 pm

A friend of our families is a guide for American hunters that come up to Canada to hunt geese. He was talking to a new set of hunters that he was recommended to and they were talking about what they would need on their trip. He told them that they were picking a bad weekend to come up because it was the weekend that the Eskimoes got paid. He told them that when they get paid they all come in with their sleds and take over the town, drinking it up at the bar and cruising around causin trouble and that it could be an interesting weekend. Anyways, these guys when they came up brought a whole bunch of cameras to take pictures of the Eskimoes and bring them back with them to show their friends and were all dissapointed when they found out it was a joke. Apparently the sarcasm wasn't evident over the phone, but they still had a good time and thought it was a good joke after all...

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:22 pm

My english teacher worked in Niagra Falls at a tourism booth or something, and she was asked by Americans numerous occasions "so, when do the turn off the waterfall?", she also had some Americans come up in july with winter clothing and skis. At times you almost feel sorry for the Americans, but the moment passes.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:39 pm

My geography teacher used to work at a Marina in Victoria, BC. This one time this group of Americans came to rent a boat. They came up to him and said, "When we crossed the border in Alberta, we exchanged some of our money. Where is the nearest place to here that we can exchange Alberta money for BC money?" My teacher told them the exchange was at 250% or something like that, and they had given him a $50 for a $20 boat rental. But after thinking it over, he returned their change, even though they seemed to have no problem parting with it. I guess us Canadians are just too curteous.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:34 pm

To be fair it's not just US tourists who forget to pack their brain for vacation.

My previous employ was a kiwi based company. We'd have people contracted to our satalite office regularily. these people were used to travelling to different parts of the world. but it didn't stop them from being silly!

1 guy was convinced he could shoot a grizzly if he just had the right licence. Didn't matter that he'd never been hunting for anything before.

Another was convinced he'd seen our "national animal" and went on to describe the black mask on the face..........He thought a Raccoon was a beaver.

1 girl was convinced that the crows sitting on the roof of our mobile office were going to kill her.

Another girl was very proud of her knowledge of bears. And was telling me about what she'd do if she ever ran into a grizzly. She was going to lie in the fetal position and urinate. Bears don't like the smell of urine.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:25 pm

I think most people who get attacked by bears end up in the fetal position pissing themselves don't they? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:54 pm

I was talkin wi some of my friends who live in California over MSN back in early January. They told me that they had to go because they were off to the beach. I sadi "ya, well it's okay. About time for me to go walk the penguin." They asked me"Do you really have a pet penguin?", to which I replied "hell yeah...he sleeps in the tool igloo right next to the sled dogs". They forgot about going to the beach in thier quest to find out all about this antarctic pet I seemed to have. Finally they asked me if they could get one anywhere. I told them they need a 40 cubic foot walk in freezer, and that penguins can be very temperamental. Meh...THEY entertained ME for 45 minutes!!!