Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:12 am

I wonder next if BC will demand it's 'fair share' of the Saskatchewan Uranium market, or Ontairo salt and nickle production.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:37 am

Well, maybe its nickel production.

Last edited by andyt on Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:42 am

Thanos Thanos:
As much as I loathe to step into this particular thread again, here's another indication of how far this fight over pipelines in BC, even already existing ones, is going to go. Money grab? Make the cost of transport so high that the companies give up on BC altogether? BC Liberals trying to out-do the NDP with the harshness of their new environmental policies for political gain in the upcoming election? Or all of these mixed together?

If BC keeps acting like this - oil companies will just use railways to ship the crude - as DrC said on a previous page, the crude is coming, it's just a question of how.

Oil companies simply prefer pipelines because their cheaper and more efficient.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:56 am

Note that the US also stopped an Enbridge pipeline. Shipping by rail doesn't address the biggest concern of pipelines running west - the marine component. Something I guess you Albertans just can't understand. We actually value our coast.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:01 pm

andyt andyt:
- the marine component. Something I guess you Albertans just can't understand. We actually value our coast.

So true. Lord knows I love nuthin' more than tossin' garbage in the sea, and I was really hoping my province would get to toss a whole bunch of oil in as well.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:07 pm

andyt andyt:
Note that the US also stopped an Enbridge pipeline. Shipping by rail doesn't address the biggest concern of pipelines running west - the marine component. Something I guess you Albertans just can't understand. We actually value our coast.

Well it's a legit concern and if you BC'ers had bothered to let others discuss this instead of exploding and telling everyone else to STFU, you would have noticed that the rest of us agree with you on protecting the coastline. When it's now being extended though to your government trying to include already existing systems into the political mix it looks more like an extortion racket from this side of the hills.

Personally, thanks to what we all know now about Enbridge and their irrespnsible corporate cowboy culture, I hope that Gateway's been permanently kiboshed. This doesn't mean though that the antics of BC's political parties are going to be forgotten over here. Or forgiven either.

edit: typos

Last edited by Thanos on Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:08 pm

You'd have to have a really good arm for you to toss garbage in the sea. But look at all the Albertan's comments - none are about the environment, none mention the marine component.

I take it back, PA9 does get it. None of the rest of you have talked about it, just that it's your constitutional right to push that oil thru the pipe. I'm less concerned about the pipeline, because I think adequate protection can be put in place - making Enbridge tunnel under bodies of water for instance. Having a system of sensors that actually work and shut down the flow of oil, even if there is the occasional false alarm. ETC.

But as far as paying a fair share, wait till the Natives get into the act - they'll scalp Enbridge to ship oil across their territories.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:14 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
Thanos Thanos:
As much as I loathe to step into this particular thread again, here's another indication of how far this fight over pipelines in BC, even already existing ones, is going to go. Money grab? Make the cost of transport so high that the companies give up on BC altogether? BC Liberals trying to out-do the NDP with the harshness of their new environmental policies for political gain in the upcoming election? Or all of these mixed together?

If BC keeps acting like this - oil companies will just use railways to ship the crude - as DrC said on a previous page, the crude is coming, it's just a question of how.

Oil companies simply prefer pipelines because their cheaper and more efficient.

Keep in mind as you guys wind yourself up over this, that the majority of BC does not want increased revenue like the government is demanding, but simply no pipeline.

This is the desperate act of a government that will lose the next election. If Albertans want her and her bumbling sidekicks to win then ensure you target all of BC with the silly rhetoric and get their hackles up instead of the ham fisted government that made the generally unsupported move.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:17 pm

Thanos Thanos:
andyt andyt:

Well it's a legit concern and if you BC'ers had bothered to let others discuss this instead of exploding and telling everyone else to STFu, you would have noticed that the rest of us agree with you on protecting the coastline. When it' now being extended to your government trying to include already existing systems into the politcal mix it looks more like an extortion racket from this side of the hills.

Personally, thanks to what we all know now about Enbridge and their irrespnsible corporate cowboy culture, I hope that Gateways been permanently kiboshed. This doesn't mean though that the antics of BC's political parties are going to be forgotten over her. Or forgiven either

Wow. For a second there I thougt some pouty separatist from Quebec showed up.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:24 pm

andyt andyt:

Oh, nothing like a little condescension...good job troll.

Albertans value the environment too - we just just try to balance the risk with the reward.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:25 pm

Yep. Our risk, your reward.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:27 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
andyt andyt:

Oh, nothing like a little condescension...good job troll.

Albertans value the environment too - we just just try to balance the risk with the reward.

Well yes you are, and I think that's great. Generally, the population out here is valuing environment over money - something the Clarke government is completely out of step with.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:29 pm

andyt andyt:

True. Which is why I'm pissed that Clarke thinks she can simply buy out that risk with some more cash which will simply go into useless social programs while not changing the outcome if a potential tanker spill.

Complete and utter failure on her part to have clue one and political grandstanding at its worst.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:31 pm

All I've heard from the Albertans on this forum, except PA9, is how it's Alberta's right to push that oil thru BC. Nothing about lets figure out the environmental hazards and what to do about them before we even think about building that pipe. Keeping the environmental risks at an acceptable level may just make the project uneconomical to build. Especially with producers in Alberta already pulling back.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:33 pm

andyt andyt:

Yeah, that's right, because you know, the pipeline will be built entirely with Alberta workers, all the workers in Kitimat will be Albertans, it will magically start at the BC-Alberta border, etc.

There's plenty of risk/reward for everyone - frankly, BC is starting to sound more and more like Oliver Twist (or Quebec) "Please give us some more" - these days.

Like I said, whatever.

Once oil hits a certain price, it's coming whether you want it too or not. The only question is how.

If BCers would prefer a 100 car train barrelling through national parks at 80 kmh, so be it. After one of those monsters derails and fouls the whole of central BC, people will be wishing they had built a pipeline.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next