Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:49 am

Can I call it or what? I said that if business cannot get a pipeline built, they would find other ways that were more environmentally risky, and above environmental reviews.

$1:
OTTAWA — As battles rage over the Northern Gateway and Keystone XL pipelines, governments and energy companies are eyeing other options for transporting oilsands crude to foreign markets, including by rail, a pipeline through the Northwest Territories and shipping more oil to Eastern Canada instead.

The political, economic and environmental stakes are enormous. Billions of dollars of investment are on the line but, as the Northern Gateway saga has shown, there are also plenty of potential pitfalls for governments and project proponents.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/business ... story.html

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:12 pm

Go east, slick.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:31 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
If BCers would prefer a 100 car train barrelling through national parks at 80 kmh, so be it. After one of those monsters derails and fouls the whole of central BC, people will be wishing they had built a pipeline.

This is a very good point. Some people have suggested using rail as an alternative to the pipeline, but rail, in my opinion has a greater risk and even less rewards than a pipeline. Derails happen, more than pipeline leaks. As an employee of a railroad I can assure you of that. Secondly the rail lines have already been built, there will be no construction jobs for BC with this route. There probably wouldn't even be a spike in rail employees as it doesn't take much to handle these cars. So rail would not be safer or more rewarding.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:47 pm

Wow, the thread that wouldn't die. 8O

The biggest problem with the pipeline isn't the fact it's a pipeline, it's the fact that it's a pipeline being built by Enbridge.

The biggest problem with the tanker port isn't that it's a tanker port, it's that it's a tanker port at the head of Douglas Channel.

All these problems could be easily overcome if someone else stepped up to build the pipeline, they moved the tanker port to a place that wasn't a bowling lane wide and emptied into one of the most violent bodies of water on the planet. It might also help if the company that built the pipeline, not Alberta, paid BC a fair price to use it's land, ports and right of way.

See common sense can prevail............................on both sides of the issue.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:36 pm

andyt andyt:
Go east, slick.

Like I said at the same time; BC'ers will assume Albertans have any say in the matter and blame us.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:56 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
See common sense can prevail............................on both sides of the issue.

Not when the politicians start thinking about elections.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:09 pm

Commission a study by a firm headquartered in the province with the vested interest. Include figures from BOTH proposed pipelines, but don't go out of your way to point that out. Study ONLY the period of construction and don't mention environmental risks at all.
Look! BC will make way more money than any other province. Emphasize this point. Do not mention that's because most of the construction will be in BC.
Release it to the media on Aug. 10, 2012.

Suddenly, the debate rekindles with these "new" revelations.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:12 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Gunnair Gunnair:
Bully? :lol: Ezra, if you think that's bulling, then you're yet another hypersensitive milksop rocking back in forth in the corner sucking his thumb and pulling his ear.

Wow, man up for once and take a bit of the shit you love to fling with such reckless abandon. :wink:

Spending four months or so on a tin can with you in charge must be as pleasant for the scrubs on board as the Roman fleet scene from Ben-Hur was for the guys chained to the oars. If the only recorded mutiny in Canadian naval history ever occurs, I'm sure that your name will be at the centre of of if, Mr. Bligh.

Like you, I don't show up to be loved. Unlike you, I don't moan near as much when called on my bullshit.

Man up, Ezra.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:36 pm

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:02 pm

Thanos Thanos:

Ain't they though. :lol:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:06 am

I saw a CP train heading south this morning pulling about 50 brand new shiny black tank cars, along with another 50 or so old tank cars over a 110 year old rail bed. :|

Can't wait for the Keystone to be built.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 11  12  13  14  15