Category: Provincial Politics
Posted By: Alta_redneck
Date: 2012-07-24 17:27:50
Canadian

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:36 pm

Now we'll have to put a tax on all cargo heading east through AB. from BC. ports.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:38 pm

Alta_redneck Alta_redneck:
Now we'll have to put a tax on all cargo heading east through AB. from BC. ports.

I smell Northern Gateway a dyin'...

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:38 pm

Alta_redneck, well said.
~
It's nice to see that everyone has agreed the pipeline is a go, the only thing left now is the dicker for the price.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:42 pm

Xort Xort:
Alta_redneck, well said.
~
It's nice to see that everyone has agreed the pipeline is a go, the only thing left now is the dicker for the price.

That dickering will last until the election. Then it'll likely end.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:49 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:

Free money is a hard thing to turn down. The best solution would be for the current government sign a contract or make a binding commitment to ok the line.

Then at the election it's not an issue because the other parties that realy want the money, but also want to be in power can say, 'well the current government already agreed to it, and it would cost far to much to back out'.

While the current government can say we have secured this deal to bring in more money from Alberta for us to fund worthless vote buying 'family first' spending.

That way they get their money, and it's not an election issue.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:44 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:

Xort Xort:
Free money is a hard thing to turn down. The best solution would be for the current government sign a contract or make a binding commitment to ok the line.

Well, not really free actually. More of a down payment to help with the inevitable environmental disaster.

$1:
Then at the election it's not an issue because the other parties that realy want the money, but also want to be in power can say, 'well the current government already agreed to it, and it would cost far to much to back out'.

While the current government can say we have secured this deal to bring in more money from Alberta for us to fund worthless vote buying 'family first' spending.

That way they get their money, and it's not an election issue.

Yeah, I don't really think it's going to play out that way. Fact is, the majority of BC does not support it, and the Liberal government has done nothing but look at first like a cowardly corporate shill and now a Johnny-come-lately. The hollow platitudes towards the concerns of BC citizens is too little and too late. The NDP, which has been against this from minute one, will come out on top. Add the natives, the environmentalists, and the everyday taxpayer which has been keener than most in exercising a form of direct democracy through recalls and I think it's safe to say this terrible project is wheezing its dying breaths. If not, it'll be such a massive expensive mess that Enbridge might just call time of death on it eventually.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:26 pm

The sad thing is that it seems Clark is willing to sell out for cash and isnt really concerned about the environment and sooner or later, the oil cos will poney up the money directly or indirectly just like they did in Newfoundland. They have deep pockets and will spend big money to make even bigger money at the end of the day.

OTOH, they may be worried that this will set precedent for other porjects like Keystone or pipelines through the territories. Maybe giving other jurisdictions a cut will be the new normal in the oil and gas industry, which may mean environmental and community concerns will get ignored more than they already do as more.provincial and state governments get bought off. Its a double-edged sword.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:10 pm

$1:
These efforts, combined with the fact that pipelines are still by far the safest means by which to transport oil, significantly mitigate the environmental risk and weaken the B.C. government’s argument for compensation based on potential risk.

Well, technically risk is potential, so "potential risk" is a redundant term. Sorry, I'm a geek, what can I say?

I just don't get the whole Kitimat port thing. Doesn't seem like a great place for a port, as the vessels have to navigate all the way up Kitimat Arm. I agree with sorting out the risk / reward equation, but on the other hand, it's likely those billions of dollars will go to general revenue, and the environment will be at the back of the line, as always, to get to those funds. I.e. the royalties will not, I don't think, translate to significantly greater environmental protection.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:15 pm

Who cares what Christy Clark wants or says. By the time of final hearings, she won't be Premier. Hammered yet another nail into the BC Liberal coffin.
Once again she sat on the fence far too long, and came up with a stance of a money-sucking whore.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:19 pm

But atleast she's helping expose yet another fissure between western provinces for the eastern bastards(technicall term that does not apply to most easterners) to cynically exploit when they try to win back power in Ottawa.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:22 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
$1:
These efforts, combined with the fact that pipelines are still by far the safest means by which to transport oil, significantly mitigate the environmental risk and weaken the B.C. government’s argument for compensation based on potential risk.

Well, technically risk is potential, so "potential risk" is a redundant term. Sorry, I'm a geek, what can I say?

I just don't get the whole Kitimat port thing. Doesn't seem like a great place for a port, as the vessels have to navigate all the way up Kitimat Arm. I agree with sorting out the risk / reward equation, but on the other hand, it's likely those billions of dollars will go to general revenue, and the environment will be at the back of the line, as always, to get to those funds. I.e. the royalties will not, I don't think, translate to significantly greater environmental protection.

Douglas Channel makes no sense to me, never has, never will. And I agree, so,little of that money will be squirreled away to pay for the billion dollar cleanup to be done by the clean up industry that no longer exists.

Hell, there ain't a real plan for the tsunami cleanup so how will they deal with a tanker that, whoops, parked on Coste Rocks.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:23 pm

herbie herbie:
Who cares what Christy Clark wants or says. By the time of final hearings, she won't be Premier. Hammered yet another nail into the BC Liberal coffin.
Once again she sat on the fence far too long, and came up with a stance of a money-sucking whore.

That money sucking whore just shut down whiners that were complaining we were taking the risk without getting enough benefits.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:25 pm

Unsound Unsound:
But atleast she's helping expose yet another fissure between western provinces for the eastern bastards(technicall term that does not apply to most easterners) to cynically exploit when they try to win back power in Ottawa.

The BCLibs are mismanaging this soooooo badly, that it's almost a shoe in for the NDP. Mr. Mulchair will jump on that and the BC/Alberta relationship, oft rocky, will get much worse. Alison already has a dislike for Christy.

Wonder if they'll sort it out in the jello ring?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:26 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
herbie herbie:

That money sucking whore just shut down whiners that were complaining we were taking the risk without getting enough benefits.

Buddy, that's only if they pony up with the bucks. Redford didn't show too much interest in that.