canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:06 am

Title: Canada facing �brain drain� as young tech talent leaves for Silicon Valley
Category: Misc CDN
Posted By: shockedcanadian
Date: 2018-05-03 04:03:50
Canadian

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:06 am

I wonder why they are leaving? Liberty will always trump nepotism, cronyism and planned economics. Maybe the youth are smarter than I give them credit for.

�When we see certain fields where upward of 65 per cent of a graduating class are leaving for the U.S., I think there should be concerns there that our homegrown companies aren�t even going to be able to access some of that talent. If we found in the 1960s that 60 per cent of our auto workers were leaving to work in other countries � we probably would have held a royal commission.�

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:42 am

Is this news? Hasn’t this always been the case? There really has never been Canadian equivalents to Apple or Microsoft or Google or Silicon Valley

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:14 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Is this news? Hasn’t this always been the case? There really has never been Canadian equivalents to Apple or Microsoft or Google or Silicon Valley

Canada has some respectable tech firms and they're generally located in what's been called the
Toronto/Kitchener-Waterloo Tech Corridor...which would be analogous to the Silicon Valley.

Some years ago you folks also came very close to getting Microsoft to move across the border to Vancouver when MS had a dispute with the US government. I'm sorry that didn't happen because it would have been quite the positive ripple effect for Canada to have MS headquartered there.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:39 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Some years ago you folks also came very close to getting Microsoft to move across the border to Vancouver when MS had a dispute with the US government. I'm sorry that didn't happen because it would have been quite the positive ripple effect for Canada to have MS headquartered there.

Microsoft does have a large Developer Farm in Vancouver though. Mostly for the people who the US won't let in.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:41 am

This is a sad fact of life when our own tech companies like Nortel Networks, JDS Uniphase and RIM initially do well, then fail to adapt and/or struggle against larger, global competitors.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:03 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
This is a sad fact of life when our own tech companies like Nortel Networks, JDS Uniphase and RIM initially do well, then fail to adapt and/or struggle against larger, global competitors.

I mean no offense when I say this but while some Canadians are remarkably innovative people I have long found the general Canadian culture not only to be stifling of innovation it sometimes seems that Canadians in general consider innovation to be rude or impolite in some fashion.

It's like this undercurrent exists in your country of a large number of people who object to change, improvement, and innovation on some sort of moral level.

California is starting to resemble Canada in this way and I suppose that's why I notice it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:35 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
bootlegga bootlegga:

I mean no offense when I say this but while some Canadians are remarkably innovative people I have long found the general Canadian culture not only to be stifling of innovation it sometimes seems that Canadians in general consider innovation to be rude or impolite in some fashion.

It's like this undercurrent exists in your country of a large number of people who object to change, improvement, and innovation on some sort of moral level.

California is starting to resemble Canada in this way and I suppose that's why I notice it.

None taken - our culture tends to be more reserved and conservative than yours when it comes to business, which often leads to more regulations than in the States. Couple that with most, if not all of our industries and capital markets being a fraction of those in the US, and it means it's harder for us to compete on a global level.

Talent always goes to the bigger, more lucrative market - it's why so many actors and comedians go to Hollywood instead of staying here and working in our film/TV industry.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:18 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
None taken - our culture tends to be more reserved and conservative than yours when it comes to business, which often leads to more regulations than in the States. Couple that with most, if not all of our industries and capital markets being a fraction of those in the US, and it means it's harder for us to compete on a global level.

It isn't the regulatory environment I'm speaking to here. I can't really put my finger on it but there's this thing at the individual level where innovation is stifled. Perhaps it's reflected in government but I see it more as an individual issue.

bootlegga bootlegga:
Talent always goes to the bigger, more lucrative market - it's why so many actors and comedians go to Hollywood instead of staying here and working in our film/TV industry.

To the contrary, more and more American entertainment is being produced in part or in whole in Canada. You folks are very competitive in that industry. [B-o]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:52 pm

Canada facing brain drain as young tech talent leaves for Silicon Valley

where you can work for Microsoft or Apple and pay your rent too....

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:31 pm

herbie herbie:
Canada facing brain drain as young tech talent leaves for Silicon Valley

where you can work for Microsoft or Apple and pay your rent too....

Not really.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/14/ ... engineers/

:|

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:42 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:

Canada has some respectable tech firms and they're generally located in what's been called the
Toronto/Kitchener-Waterloo Tech Corridor...which would be analogous to the Silicon Valley.

A lot of security firms in Kitchener-waterloo as well.