canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:10 pm

<strong>Title: </strong> <a href="/link.php?id=19664" target="_blank">Canadian reservist killed in non-combat shooting</a> (click to view)

<strong>Category:</strong> <a href="/modules.php?name=News_Links&file=category&catid=13" target="_blank">Military</a>
<strong>Posted By: </strong> <a href="/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=userinfo&username=ArmyMan" target="_blank">ArmyMan</a>
<strong>Date: </strong> 2007-03-06 14:08:35
<strong>Canadian</strong>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:10 pm

It is always so tragic. No matter how he died, he died a hero. Although he died before his time he died with a lot of honour. May his family take comfort in that. Support our troops.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:14 pm

Damn it! I hate to hear that..........I wonder if it was due to cleaning his gun.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:20 pm

Prime Minister Stephen Harper today issued the following statement on the death of Corporal Kevin Megeney:

“I was deeply saddened to learn today of the death of Corporal Kevin Megeney who was serving our country in Afghanistan.

“On behalf of the Government of Canada and all Canadians, I extend my sympathies to the family, friends and loved ones of Corporal Kevin Megeney, and I hope they can find strength in knowing that he will be remembered for his achievements and honourable service to his country.

“We thank the Canadian Forces for their commitment and their tremendous contributions.

“The Government of Canada and Canadians stand proudly behind them. We will be forever grateful for the sacrifice of Corporal Kevin Megeney.”

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:31 pm

I doubt it was from cleaning his rifle, saftying the weapong becomes so automatic to a soldier. It is not something was take for granted... plus the way it is disassembled makes it very difficult to do. no matter, who ever was responsible is going to need serious therapy... I couldnt handle it if I killed a fellow solder...I hope your cousin is safe bro, we are all praying for them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:39 pm

Athena Athena:
I doubt it was from cleaning his rifle, saftying the weapong becomes so automatic to a soldier. It is not something was take for granted... plus the way it is disassembled makes it very difficult to do. no matter, who ever was responsible is going to need serious therapy... I couldnt handle it if I killed a fellow solder...I hope your cousin is safe bro, we are all praying for them.

You'd be surprised! I have heard some pretty horrific stories from Soldiers training in the field. I was wondering if it was while he was out on his mission the the gun was accidently discharged.

Last edited by SupportingOurTroops on Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:44 pm

Athena Athena:

Thanks for the well wishes for my Cousin. He is now back on Canadian soil after his third tour from Afghanistan.He has volunteered to go back again though. We did unfortunatley lose another Family member back in Sept '06...So I know what getting that phone call is like.

P.S I am a female :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:51 pm

I have heard about the horrific stories but a lot of times the media misreports incidents...it still leaves me wondering though I just cant work it out logically... I guess if you let your gaurd down it happens. Although it sounds horrible I hope it was him who accidentally did it, I would hate for a soldier to have to live with that
I am so happy to hear your cousin is back in Canada, my good friend just came back from the ghan too. he carried the caskets of two of his best friends. although I didn't know the men I saw my friend have to cope with it while having to fight over seas. We also lost someone from our unit back in December. I am very sorry to hear about your loss. I promise you that when I go, I will do everything I can to protect people like your family member.

I am a female too, sorry! I didnt mean to offend!

Take care!

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:54 pm

Friendly Fire?

How'd the Americans do this one?

KIDDING, ;)

Condolences to his Friends, Family, His Fellow Troops and his soul in heaven.An honourable Troop. R=UP.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:55 pm

Athena Athena:
I have heard about the horrific stories but a lot of times the media misreports incidents...it still leaves me wondering though I just cant work it out logically... I guess if you let your gaurd down it happens. Although it sounds horrible I hope it was him who accidentally did it, I would hate for a soldier to have to live with that
I am so happy to hear your cousin is back in Canada, my good friend just came back from the ghan too. he carried the caskets of two of his best friends. although I didn't know the men I saw my friend have to cope with it while having to fight over seas. We also lost someone from our unit back in December. I am very sorry to hear about your loss. I promise you that when I go, I will do everything I can to protect people like your family member.

I am a female too, sorry! I didnt mean to offend!

Take care!

I believe you will make us all proud! Goodluck, and stay safe.

You didn't at all offend me :)

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:58 pm

They're calling it friendly fire so I don't think it was while cleaning his gun.

"Meanwhile, family members say Megeney, 25, was killed in a friendly-fire shooting. Megeney's sister, Lisa, told the Canadian Press that her younger brother was apparently in his tent when he was shot.

"It was friendly fire, that's all I know," she told CP as military officials briefed the family on the incident which DND says occurred just after 7 p.m. in Kandahar.

Military officials told CTV's Tom Clark in Kandahar that Megeney died from a single gunshot wound to the chest. "He was dead about 20 minutes after he was brought to the hospital here," said Clark."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:27 am

that is so upsetting, that poor soldier has to live with that hanging over them. what a mess... that is not good for the army image either.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:35 am

SupportingOurTroops SupportingOurTroops:
You'd be surprised! I have heard some pretty horrific stories from Soldiers training in the field. I was wondering if it was while he was out on his mission the the gun was accidently discharged.

The article said it happened while on base at the Kandahar Airport, not out on a mission.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:08 am

Not sure how accurate the news report last night is...but they said he was shot while he was asleep in his tent???

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:14 am

A canvas tent wouldn't offer much protection against a bullet so the gun may have went off some distance away.