Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2023-11-06 06:20:27
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:49 pm

Just make it stop already. I'm tired of the years of bantering the government has done over this very simple issue.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:43 pm

It was a good idea when people worked out in the fields. But now we have tractors with headlights.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:23 pm

We should stop. But it’s not up to us. The US congress is sitting on a bill that would remove it. If the GOP ever stops trying to end democracy, there’s a chance it can happen.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:34 am

xerxes xerxes:
We should stop. But it’s not up to us. The US congress is sitting on a bill that would remove it. If the GOP ever stops trying to end democracy, there’s a chance it can happen.

That's a stupid reason to be waiting that I've heard for far too long. "The USA must do it first" :roll:

Saskatchewan and Yukon don't do it and no negative impact. Hell, Arizona and Hawaii don't do DST and yet, alas, they carry on. The excuse that's been used about flight times being confusing doesn't seem to harm people going to either of these tourist-destination states.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:59 am

Strutz Strutz:
xerxes xerxes:

That's a stupid reason to be waiting that I've heard for far too long. "The USA must do it first" :roll:

Saskatchewan and Yukon don't do it and no negative impact. Hell, Arizona and Hawaii don't do DST and yet, alas, they carry on. The excuse that's been used about flight times being confusing doesn't seem to harm people going to either of these tourist-destination states.

True. But on the other hand, if I cross the border to go to the US, why should the time change an hour?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:12 pm

xerxes xerxes:
Strutz Strutz:
xerxes xerxes:

True. But on the other hand, if I cross the border to go to the US, why should the time change an hour?

Then don't go there. :P

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:48 pm

As Strutz pointed out, Saskatchewan and the Yukon don't use it. Given the way daylight works so far up north, it's fucking pointless in Nunavut and the Northwest Territories too. Even here just outside Edmonton I've been waiting for the school bus or driving to or from work when it's pitch-dark for decades.

Daylight Savings Time means nothing but a meaningless hassle to me.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:11 pm

JaredMilne JaredMilne:
As Strutz pointed out, Saskatchewan and the Yukon don't use it. Given the way daylight works so far up north, it's fucking pointless in Nunavut and the Northwest Territories too. Even here just outside Edmonton I've been waiting for the school bus or driving to or from work when it's pitch-dark for decades.

Daylight Savings Time means nothing but a meaningless hassle to me.

Good point about the northern part of Canada and just think of how much less this affects people along the 49th here and all of the USA. DST is just not necessary.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:38 am

Talk about the ultimate example of a First World problem...

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:30 pm

True enough, but at the same time it's ok to take a break and have a discussion/banter on a topic that doesn't involve senseless death and destruction.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:15 am

Some "experts" do. Blaming getting up an hour earlier or later for thousands of traffic accidents, work injuries etc. Maybe they'll quote stats and ban getting up at dawn to go fishing for an increase in drownings next.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:07 pm

I get that it is inefficient for a lot of people, but for those of us in northern latitudes, it makes sense. It makes winter mornings a bit lighter by shifting the hour to the morning, and in the summer, it makes evenings a bit brighter longer.

The Pros and Cons of Daylight Savings Time

I know I'm in the tiny minority, but I hope it never goes away. :P

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:12 am

We could get that by standardising on Daylight time, ;)

Its the accidents that happen everytime we switch that are a problem.