Title: Eastern Cougar declared extinct, says U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Category: Environmental
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2015-06-17 07:53:43
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:51 am

Sad. Maybe introduce the western cougar instead. How's the wolf population back east? What's keeping the deer healthy?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:09 am

andyt andyt:
How's the wolf population back east? What's keeping the deer healthy?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:12 am

Chuck Darwin helps too.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:13 am

Hunting shoots the prime animals, not the old and the sick. Can never keep a prey species healthy, just possibly eradicate it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:17 am

andyt andyt:
Hunting shoots the prime animals, not the old and the sick.

Says you...

Wish I could pop you in a time machine. There's a wormy, chewy, old moose I'd like you to meet.

Amuse me some more though. Explain to me how cars select for the young and healthy of superior intelligence.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:22 am

Explain to me how cars select for anything. And how cars keep a prey species healthy. Oh, and explain about all those hunters who shoot old and sick animals, not prime bucks and does.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:38 am

andyt andyt:
Explain to me how cars select for anything. And how cars keep a prey species healthy. Oh, and explain about all those hunters who shoot old and sick animals, not prime bucks and does.

Being slow and dumb isn't going to help you no matter where you find your battle. I would expect you to know that.

In any case. Stop being so sensitive. It was a joke. She's an old lady with a gun. That's funny. :)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:42 am

Good one.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:45 am

andyt andyt:

Most jurisdictions will throw your ass in jail for poaching a doe. California, for instance, permits a bag limit of one forked-horn buck annually and has NEVER in 167 years permitted a doe hunt.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:49 am

Damn though...

Now Andy's got me thinking serious thoughts, and I have to tell him about one of my favourite theories. It explains how even in the wild young, healthy animals can get it too.

I believe that at times an environment gets too good. The population overcrowds. At that point some weird sort of self-destructive mindset, viral infection thingy seems to spread throughout the herd and they almost make themselves available to predators. Like I said self-destructive.

Works for human societies too. Just replace predators with barbarians at the gate.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:53 am

Not true in BC, afaik. We have plenty of deer, in some case becoming a nuisance in towns. We also have the predators to keep the populations healthy.

DNR to hunters: Kill more female deer
http://www.wvgazette.com/News/201202260159

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:01 am

andyt andyt:
Not true in BC, afaik. We have plenty of deer, in some case becoming a nuisance in towns. We also have the predators to keep the populations healthy.

DNR to hunters: Kill more female deer
http://www.wvgazette.com/News/201202260159

I'm confused. Why are you complaining about the hunters if they're doing the bidding of the government and the biologists who help form government policy?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:02 am

andyt andyt:

What's not true? That the environment didn't get too kind to them, or they didn't start acting stupid and making themselves available to predators? In either case I disagree with you.

Remember that one...I think it was in Cranbrook, maybe, where somebody was running around at night with a bow and arrow shooting neighbourhood deer? So people were getting upset, because they'd wake up and see these deer wandering around with arrows stuck through them.

Not prepared to name names, but I know somebody who at this very moment, as we speak, may very well have a Chuck Darwin special sitting in his or her freezer.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:10 am

Someone check on ray, he's likely become despondent over the headline and didn't get a chance to read the story to find out they're talking about a feline.