canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:01 am

$1:

Dats what happens when you are suspected of breaking the law in this country.

Then you are usually out of gaol in a couple days. :P

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:22 am

IceOwl IceOwl:
The Kyoto protocol is international law which we are signatory to and the Harper government has been exposed as having a plan to break that law.
So shouldn't the Liberal government be arrested?
$1:
If Mr. Monaghan is breaking the law, he is breaking an unjust law, which deserves to be broken.
Since when can we pick and choose which laws deserve to be broken? You can't pick and choose. Well you can, but you will just get arrested.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:50 am

$1:

What Liberal government? Last I checked, they were the official opposition. How is this their fault?

This tendency of Conservatives to blame the Liberals for everything is increasingly lame. You wanted to be in charge, and that includes taking responsibility for your actions. Using the RCMP to intimidate civil servants for political reasons is something that Harper did, not something the Liberals did...at least in this case. If the Liberals did it before, that's still no excuse for the Conservatives to do the same.

Harper claims to be open and accountable, yet this is the most secretive and unaccountable government in memory...worse than Chretien and worse than Mulroney. If Harper had opened a whistle-blowers office, as he promised to do as part of the Accountability Act, Monoghan could have gone to that office instead of to the press. Harper has been dragging his feet on anything that might force his government to be open or accountable though, so there is no place for whistle-blowers to go except to the press.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:39 pm

Rev_Blair Rev_Blair:
$1:

What Liberal government? Last I checked, they were the official opposition. How is this their fault?
Did they not agree to kyoto?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:40 pm

IceOwl IceOwl:
Tricks Tricks:
$1:
If Mr. Monaghan is breaking the law, he is breaking an unjust law, which deserves to be broken.
Since when can we pick and choose which laws deserve to be broken? You can't pick and choose. Well you can, but you will just get arrested.

If you read what I wrote, you will have the answer to your question.

And yes, you may get arrested, but that is a price often paid for civil disobedience, and just further exposes the injustice of a bad law. It does not make the cause any less worthy.
Well you can break all the unjust laws you want. I shall do it the non-moronic way and protest. Have fun with your way.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:45 pm

$1:

They did. At the time I was critical of them for not having a plan. Dig about, I'm pretty sure you'll find that I'm not a big fan of Chretien's environmental record.

There was nothing criminal in the Liberal's support of Kyoto. There is something criminal in not meeting Kyoto though.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:42 am

IceOwl IceOwl:
Tricks Tricks:
IceOwl IceOwl:
Tricks Tricks:
$1:

And yes, you may get arrested, but that is a price often paid for civil disobedience, and just further exposes the injustice of a bad law. It does not make the cause any less worthy.
Well you can break all the unjust laws you want. I shall do it the non-moronic way and protest. Have fun with your way.

Civil disobedience is one of the most effective forms of protest.

Sitting in jail is still the most effective way of combating the will to not grow up.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:59 am

Rev_Blair Rev_Blair:
$1:

They did. At the time I was critical of them for not having a plan. Dig about, I'm pretty sure you'll find that I'm not a big fan of Chretien's environmental record.

There was nothing criminal in the Liberal's support of Kyoto. There is something criminal in not meeting Kyoto though.
The liberals agreed to it, didn't follow it, so if Harper and the conservatives get any sort criminal charges, then the liberals deserve the same. That's all.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:20 am

But the Liberals broke no laws in this regard. They say, whether you believe them or not (I don't), that they would have met Kyoto. The Conservatives by saying that they have no intention of meeting Kyoto, are announcing an intention to break international law.

Now if the Liberals had announced that they had no intention of meeting Kyoto, then they would guilty of the same thing. They didn't do that though.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:22 am

Hmmm Good point. I figured no matter what, if it isn't met, then they are breaking international law. I would say that the Conservatives see this as extremely damaging to our economic system. Isn't there some part of it that allows a government not to take part because it will cause a depression in the country? ;)

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:52 am

I would say the Conservatives are turning us into a technological backwater dependent on selling raw materials to support nineteenth century technologies. The long term economic impacts are going to be devastating.

It isn't a political party that breaks interrnational law though, Tricks. It's the government of Canada.

Besides, blaming the Liberals for everything is one of the lamest Harper tricks, Tricks. It might have been valid for the few months if Harper hadn't been slashing every environmental program there was, but that time has run out.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:17 am

IceOwl IceOwl:
Tricks Tricks:
IceOwl IceOwl:
Tricks Tricks:
$1:

Civil disobedience is one of the most effective forms of protest.