canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:38 pm

<strong>Title: </strong> <a href="/link.php?id=19917" target="_blank">Immigration critical to Canadian population growth: census</a> (click to view)

<strong>Category:</strong> <a href="/modules.php?name=News_Links&file=category&catid=1" target="_blank">Political</a>
<strong>Posted By: </strong> <a href="/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=userinfo&username=Scape" target="_blank">Scape</a>
<strong>Date: </strong> 2007-03-13 07:21:40
<strong>Canadian</strong>

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:38 pm

AhhhhhDuuuuuuuuuuhhhhh

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:50 am

I think it would be wiser to encourage Canadians to have more kids than import other countries kids here.

There is room for other options than mass third world immigration.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:16 am

I like the idea of offering larger incentives for mothers/fathers for having children in Canada. I see it as a viable alternative to the problems with the population pyramid. Although the effects of the aging boomers has not been fully felt, what we have seen is, later retirements, more stress on the healthcare system, and a generation who is actually making less money than their parents.

The idea of offering greater "baby-bonuses" was met with some success in Quebec ( albeit perhaps for the wrong reasons).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2001/01/30/baby010130.html
and
http://www.canada.com/topics/bodyandhea ... 4e&k=35013
Of course this idea comes at a cost, to taxpayers, but so does immigration, with retraining, initial funds for start-up, etc.

There is also the danger of removing some of the incentive for young women to join the work force, but I suppose we can't have it both ways.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:22 am

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
I think it would be wiser to encourage Canadians to have more kids than import other countries kids here.

Amen.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:25 am

Delwin Delwin:
There is also the danger of removing some of the incentive for young women to join the work force, but I suppose we can't have it both ways.

Danger??? What danger is there in women staying home to raise their families?

It looks like the greater danger is obvious in that they are NOT raising families, thus you're depending on immigration to buck up your tax base.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:26 am

I was thinking about this on the way to work, because it's a common problem with much of the 1'st world countries. Is it the cost, high taxes or just greed that makes us chose to have less kids. Maybe the number of marriages that end in divorce are having this effect.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:26 am

Delwin Delwin:
I like the idea of offering larger incentives for mothers/fathers for having children in Canada. I see it as a viable alternative to the problems with the population pyramid. Although the effects of the aging boomers has not been fully felt, what we have seen is, later retirements, more stress on the healthcare system, and a generation who is actually making less money than their parents.

The idea of offering greater "baby-bonuses" was met with some success in Quebec ( albeit perhaps for the wrong reasons).

and
Of course this idea comes at a cost, to taxpayers, but so does immigration, with retraining, initial funds for start-up, etc.

I agree.
We should giving tax incentives to Canadians who have children. Much less costly financially and socially than having immigrants from disparate societies that lack language skills, or at worst, come from countries that harbour hostility to the west.
Unfortunately some 'new' Canadians merely import archaic attitudes to our society and are at odds with our culture as we saw with Abbas.
He is not alone in his sexist and intolerant views.

Lets grow our own kids as a priority.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:54 am

$1:
I was thinking about this on the way to work, because it's a common problem with much of the 1'st world countries. Is it the cost, high taxes or just greed that makes us chose to have less kids. Maybe the number of marriages that end in divorce are having this effect.

Urbanisation and cost. What is the point of having a lot of children anymore? Not many people live on a farm or need them and by having them it just costs you more than the value of their labour you could use in a more rural setting. Also an education is more important than ever and many parents try and provide them with one and with that costing more now paying for a couple children is probabaly enough for most people. The population is going to have to go down or it should be and immigration is almost just fighting the trend that is happening. Should just let the population die instead of trying to compete with an explosion that happened in the baby boom.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:57 am

EyeBrock EyeBrock:

That sounds an awful lot like a 'social program'...I thought you were a conservative Eyebrock! :wink:

Seriously though, this is just going to get worse. As long as we continue to graduate people from university with $30,000+ student loan debts, we're going to be in a situation where they spend 5-10 years paying off their loans before they can even think about starting a family and buying a home. And with housing costs skyrocketing in many parts of the country, we're essentially preventing them from having a family. So they instead become DINKs (Double income - no kids) and contribute to our phenomenal growth by purchasing expensive cars, homes, and trinkets (plasma TVs for example), making it even worse for those who actually do want to start a family.

Don't believe me...let's do the math. A bright young lady goes to university at 19, graduates at 24/25, pays student loans until she's at least 30 (likely mid-30s). Having your first child at say 35 is actually dangerous (for both the mother and child), so a lot of women just say to hell with it (I know several women with just that attitude).

It's not the only reason for out shrinking birthrate, but it's a factor. I agree giving larger tax credits or child benefit checks might help out, but short of handing out thousands of dollars annually to each person (bankrupting Canada in the process), a social program of this type won't help much, simply because having a child these days costs thousands of dollars a year. It makes matters worse when both parents usually have to work to support a family, increasing costs for things like daycare, transportation, food, clothing, etc.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:51 am

I would fully support incentives for Canadians to have more children as well instead of this happening here!!

8O 8O

http://www.immigrationwatchdog.com/medi ... e-wild.wmv

Pay attention to the gal that says she was born in the USA, but her loyalty is to Mexico.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:53 am

EyeBrock EyeBrock:

Right on R=UP

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
Delwin Delwin:

and

I agree.
We should giving tax incentives to Canadians who have children. Much less costly financially and socially than having immigrants from disparate societies that lack language skills, or at worst, come from countries that harbour hostility to the west.
Unfortunately some 'new' Canadians merely import archaic attitudes to our society and are at odds with our culture as we saw with Abbas.
He is not alone in his sexist and intolerant views.

Lets grow our own kids as a priority.

Also a good point.

More incentives to populate ourselves is the right path.

New immigrants should be appreciative when they come to this country, instead they are being oppressive.

Some might say that this country was founded on the basis of immigrants. Yes. But back in the day, immigrants from Europe, mostly caucasians, were appreciative, worked hard and established themselves as Canadians.

Now, immigrants don't want to change their ways. Instead, Canadians have to accomodate to their every values. Simply, we as Canadians are too tolerant. Leniency can be a good thing, but too much is too much.

I will emphasize this once more: If you don't like it here, no one is stopping you going back where you came from.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:53 am

Double post

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:26 pm

What the "real" problem is, we have lost our middle class.

Within the last 10 years, wage have only increase 10% to 30%.

While the wages for CEO have increased 400% and most of the time the CEO's run the company into the ground.

They seem to forget, the real people behind the company are those at the lowest level.

As I have said before, we need to bring back the 40's & 50's.

Push all the Liberals back into the closet. :D

The man being the bread winner and supporting his wife and children, and the wife stays at home, cooking, cleaning and pregnant.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:31 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:

That sounds an awful lot like a 'social program'...I thought you were a conservative Eyebrock! :wink:

Seriously though, this is just going to get worse. As long as we continue to graduate people from university with $30,000+ student loan debts, we're going to be in a situation where they spend 5-10 years paying off their loans before they can even think about starting a family and buying a home. And with housing costs skyrocketing in many parts of the country, we're essentially preventing them from having a family. So they instead become DINKs (Double income - no kids) and contribute to our phenomenal growth by purchasing expensive cars, homes, and trinkets (plasma TVs for example), making it even worse for those who actually do want to start a family.

Don't believe me...let's do the math. A bright young lady goes to university at 19, graduates at 24/25, pays student loans until she's at least 30 (likely mid-30s). Having your first child at say 35 is actually dangerous (for both the mother and child), so a lot of women just say to hell with it (I know several women with just that attitude).

It's not the only reason for out shrinking birthrate, but it's a factor. I agree giving larger tax credits or child benefit checks might help out, but short of handing out thousands of dollars annually to each person (bankrupting Canada in the process), a social program of this type won't help much, simply because having a child these days costs thousands of dollars a year. It makes matters worse when both parents usually have to work to support a family, increasing costs for things like daycare, transportation, food, clothing, etc.

I may vote Conservative boots but I'm from a left wing family and my Dad was very active in his union. I even voted Labour once or twice. I suppose I would be a 'pink' Tory.

If you look at our immigration policy, screwed up as it is, it's a 'social programme' already. I just think it's time the Government transferred spending money on foreigners to giving Canadians cash or tax breaks to have kids.

I think it would be cheaper and less socially contentious to encourage Canadians to make more Canadians.