canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:45 pm

PluggyRug PluggyRug:

In this case the Charter of Rights has become the Charter of Wrongs.

Rights are rights. By definition they can't be applied selectively or subjectively. Therefore it's impossible for Rights to be "Wrongs" in a specific case.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:09 pm

$1:
In all, 71 per cent said the Trudeau government did the wrong thing and that “it should have fought the case and left it to the courts to decide whether Mr. Khadr was wrongfully imprisoned.”

Well 71% of the respondents were wrong then, because that wasn't even the question. Pretty fuckin' dumb lot, eh?
Question should've been would you be happy if it dragged on another 5 years and the court awarded him only $1 million and an apology?
No you wouldn't. You'd have 5 more years to distract from the issue with what some Glorious Yank Hero says or obscure internet webite.
If it dragged on 10 years and awarded him only $100,000 and NO apology?
Of course not. You'd have 5 more years to distract from the issue with 10,000 stupid more memes.
If it dragged on 20 years and he got $1.99?
Nope. By then you'd be so old and outraged you'd shoot those kids who won't get off your lawn.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:03 am

0:
19884373_1540027519380945_7181995548494451071_n.jpg
19884373_1540027519380945_7181995548494451071_n.jpg [ 74.07 KiB | Viewed 70 times ]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:59 am

You had to know this was coming. The lawsuits should be starting anytime soon. :roll:

Liberals miscalculated on Khadr settlement

$1:
Get ready to write a lot of cheques.

According to Global Affairs Canada, there are over 1,400 Canadians imprisoned in other countries, many victims of mistreatment by foreign governments.

If the Trudeau Liberals feel the need to compensate every one of them as they have war criminal Omar Khadr, Canadian taxpayers could be on the hook for $15 billion.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/07/11/li ... settlement

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:48 am

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
You had to know this was coming. The lawsuits should be starting anytime soon. :roll:

$1:

According to Global Affairs Canada, there are over 1,400 Canadians imprisoned in other countries, many victims of mistreatment by foreign governments.

If the Trudeau Liberals feel the need to compensate every one of them as they have war criminal Omar Khadr, Canadian taxpayers could be on the hook for $15 billion.

Was the Canadian government complicit in their mistreatment? No? Then you can put this back up your ass where you found it.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:51 am

Beaver it doesn't matter if the government was complicit in their mistreatment. There will be lawyers and complaints that will expect a hand out by the government. At the very least they will be clogging the courts which will cost the government time and money and may allow some sorry assed son of to get off scot free cause the case is taking too dam long to get to court. Which will infringe on their rights to rape murder and pillage. A lose lose situation no matter how you look at it

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:14 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:

$1:

Was the Canadian government complicit in their mistreatment? No? Then you can put this back up your ass where you found it.

Wow, getting a little testy aren't we. XD

Nobody said these cases were going to be successful all they said was that given the criteria your favorite PM could give monetary compensation along with any apology.

Ever hear of these guys?

$1:
"On behalf of the Government of Canada, we wish to apologize to Mr. Almalki, Mr. Abou-Elmaati and Mr. Nureddin, and their families, for any role Canadian officials may have played in relation to their detention and mistreatment abroad and any resulting harm," read a statement from the country's public safety minister Ralph Goodale and the foreign minister Chrystia Freeland.
The statement did not divulge the nature of the agreement reached.
Amnesty International welcomed the news and said the settlement included financial compensation.
Released in 2004 without charges against them, the trio sued the Canadian government for damages.
This past September Canada's CBC news network obtained exclusive documents showing that Canadian officials had fed Syrian officials questions they asked the men who were detained and tortured.
"We hope the steps taken today will support them and their families in their efforts to begin a new and hopeful chapter in their lives," the Canadian ministers' statement read.
In a similar case, Canadian computer engineer Maher Arar was tortured in a Damascus prison in 2002, after he was transferred there by US officials based on a Canadian tip-off.
But Arar was later cleared of any suspicion by the Canadian authorities, and in January 2007 won an apology from Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Can$10 million in compensation from the Canadian government.

Apparently Omar wasn't the only one incarcerated abroad and "mistreated". As the matter of fact there are probably one hell of alot more of these cases than the Gov't would like us to know about and Trudeau in an attempt to assuage his party's guilt is paying out big time to keep people silent.

BTW if you'd like me to stick the article back up my ass would you be so kind as to lend me some of that lubricant you've been using on your head lately.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:18 am

housewife housewife:
Beaver it doesn't matter if the government was complicit in their mistreatment.

I'm sorry, but yes, it very much does. The Government is the entity that is supposed to protect our rights, not stomp on them. If they are supposed to protect us from the burglar, the embezzler, or the cop that kills someone in a cell; they can't then become those people "one time only" just because they don't like what the citizen has done.

That's what the Supreme Court's decision said.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:21 am

Ever hear of these guys?

$1:
"On behalf of the Government of Canada, we wish to apologize to Mr. Almalki, Mr. Abou-Elmaati and Mr. Nureddin, and their families, for any role Canadian officials may have played in relation to their detention and mistreatment abroad and any resulting harm," read a statement from the country's public safety minister Ralph Goodale and the foreign minister Chrystia Freeland.
The statement did not divulge the nature of the agreement reached.
Amnesty International welcomed the news and said the settlement included financial compensation.
Released in 2004 without charges against them, the trio sued the Canadian government for damages.
This past September Canada's CBC news network obtained exclusive documents showing that Canadian officials had fed Syrian officials questions they asked the men who were detained and tortured.
"We hope the steps taken today will support them and their families in their efforts to begin a new and hopeful chapter in their lives," the Canadian ministers' statement read.
In a similar case, Canadian computer engineer Maher Arar was tortured in a Damascus prison in 2002, after he was transferred there by US officials based on a Canadian tip-off.
But Arar was later cleared of any suspicion by the Canadian authorities, and in January 2007 won an apology from Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Can$10 million in compensation from the Canadian government.

Apparently Omar wasn't the only one incarcerated abroad and "mistreated". As the matter of fact there are probably one hell of alot more of these cases than the Gov't would like us to know about and Trudeau in an attempt to assuage his party's guilt is paying out big time to keep people silent.

BTW if you'd like me to stick the article back up my ass would you be so kind as to lend me some of that lubricant you've been using on your head lately.

And excellent point! And the financial settlement for them was undisclosed. But Mahar Arar, who was also jailed and tortured by our government got a settlement of . . what? 10 Million? :idea:

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:32 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
housewife housewife:
Beaver it doesn't matter if the government was complicit in their mistreatment.

I'm sorry, but yes, it very much does. The Government is the entity that is supposed to protect our rights, not stomp on them. If they are supposed to protect us from the burglar, the embezzler, or the cop that kills someone in a cell; they can't then become those people "one time only" just because they don't like what the citizen has done.

That's what the Supreme Court's decision said.

I ment in reguard to up and coming law suits. Which is why I then said....

housewife housewife:
There will be lawyers and complaints that will expect a hand out by the government. At the very least they will be clogging the courts which will cost the government time and money

Blah blah blah

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:36 am

Arar,Almaki, et al are not secret cases they are well known public cases that have been in the news cycle for over a decade and all are instances where the Canadian government is alleged to have played a role in their mistreatment.

That is a far cry from saying the government is now exposed to lawsuits from any citizen detained anywhere even if the Canadian government hadn't nothing to do with the detention. . It's an absurd assumption. It's so ridiculous it doesn't even deserve a response but of course you get one anyway.

If I do something wrong to you then you can sue me and I may choose to settle. But that doesn't mean that as a result, if someone else who has absolutely nothing to do with me ever wrongs somebody else, they can now just add me to their lawsuit for fun. A lawsuit has to establish at least a superficial claim that I had some role in the events otherwise I'll just be dropped from the suit .

Let me draw you some parallels:

When the Canadian government facilitated in the Assad regimes torture of Maher Arar, Canada was sued.

--> That doesn't mean a Canadian arrested in Mexico for a crime committed in Mexico is now able to sue Canada for Mexican mistreatment when Canadian government had nothing to do with the case.

Here's another concept illustration:

The government regularly pays settlements to people in Canada who suffer police brutality or who have been wrongly convicted of a crime they didn't commit due to police/prosecutor misconduct.

-->That doesn't mean we are facing billions oflawsuits from every person who's ever been arrested or convicted of anything where no wrongdoing ever occurred.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:04 pm

8)

We need more of this....

Attachments:
Selfie Boy.jpg
Selfie Boy.jpg [ 105.47 KiB | Viewed 44 times ]
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:14 pm

:lol: How long till the PC arm chair warriors tears it down.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:24 pm

and this one is just fun: