canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:59 pm

<strong>Title: </strong> <a href="/link.php?id=19930" target="_blank">Soldier's widow angry over charges against friend</a> (click to view)

<strong>Category:</strong> <a href="/modules.php?name=News_Links&file=category&catid=17" target="_blank">Business</a>
<strong>Posted By: </strong> <a href="/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=userinfo&username=Athena" target="_blank">Athena</a>
<strong>Date: </strong> 2007-03-13 11:55:26

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:59 pm

I would do the same, I completely agree with her! it wasn't his fault... yes, it was his weapon but I cant justify destroying his career out of it... he is already living with too much guilt. My friend from 2ppcli knows them both, if Walsh could decide I highly doubt he would want charges pressed. If I died in combat the same way there is no way I would want a fellow soldier to live with that

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:05 pm

He should have had control of his weapon.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:10 pm

I need to know more about what happened on that day, but I'm not holding my breath regarding hearing what "Really" happened. That investigation took way to long, it reeks of "Coverup" and protect our image. Accidents happen, just tell the truth.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:22 pm

Scrappy Scrappy:
I need to know more about what happened on that day, but I'm not holding my breath regarding hearing what "Really" happened. That investigation took way to long, it reeks of "Coverup" and protect our image. Accidents happen, just tell the truth.

This isn't Somlia and it isn't the 90's any more this isnt a coverup, besides what would the possible reason be for a coverup. The Canadian armed forces are good for letting the people involved in an incident the information they need (not everything they want its cold hearted I know, but my wife knows too how the army is and is ready for it). Once the trial starts and goes on the information will come out. The Green machine is a good machine, however, iit is also a very slow moving one, especialy in the cases of an accident involving a injury or death. Just the examination of a weapon can take a month or so.

$1:
I would do the same, I completely agree with her! it wasn't his fault... yes, it was his weapon but I cant justify destroying his career out of it... he is already living with too much guilt. My friend from 2ppcli knows them both, if Walsh could decide I highly doubt he would want charges pressed. If I died in combat the same way there is no way I would want a fellow soldier to live with that

It IS his fault. Be in control of your weapon and know its state AT ALL TIMES! It the principal of an infanteer and one that should never be forgoten. Obviously you've seen a c7/ c8 tossed around before. The safety doesn't "accidently" slip off. Also, as I'm sure you know the weapon is isolated ASAP and sent to techs for examination. Obviously, if he's facing charges his weapon wasn't at fault. I'm by no way saying that it was intentional, however, it does need to end in charges and possibly the ending of a career. Its sad, its cold hearted, BUT it's also the army way.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:48 pm

I am an infanteer and I understand the role of a soldier. We have been told that the weapon should be set to repition NOT safe because when it is on safe the weapon must be cocked and if the fire control selector is moved due to carlessness than it is entirely possible that the weapon could have gone off. He should definitly be charged with an ND, but not manslaughter. I am just saying that I would hate to see this guy have to serve 2 years in military prison and then how ever longer in civi prison. I understand where you are coming from, but when I put my self in the position of MCpl Walsh I would not want a fellow soldier of honest intergrity to be charged. I also understand that this has to be the way it has to be but it dosnt mean I can say it dosnt suck. my friend carried Walsh's coffin in Afghanistan so I understand the pain.

It is NOT a cover up, the NIS investigated and they are independant and impartial. THe weapon would have had to go to a weapons tech, plus incident reports would have had to be filled out by everyone in the G'han who was there, without distrupting the tour of duty.

anyway, my point it I understand military law and I can see this is has to be done. I see your point but I still feel for the guy...

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:10 am

I think we all feel for this guy. I can't even begin to imagine how bad that has to feel, but brass tacks, we are given the responsibility of carrying a C7,C8 MP5, Sig etc. I trust that the guy next to me has his weapon under control and he expects the same from me.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:07 am

Wullu Wullu:
I think we all feel for this guy. I can't even begin to imagine how bad that has to feel, but brass tacks, we are given the responsibility of carrying a C7,C8 MP5, Sig etc. I trust that the guy next to me has his weapon under control and he expects the same from me.

PDT_Armataz_01_37 Nothing more needs to be said except I'll wait for ALL the evidence before I comment further.