CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:30 pm

Finally, the truth starts to come out.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:58 am

How is this even a surprise? Traditionally, the first foreign visit a new US president makes was to Canada. We knew he didn't give a shit about that when the first visit he made was to Mexico.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:55 pm

For anybody paying attention in the UK, the truth came out loud and clear in 1956. The whole thing should have stayed inside Churchill's head. It has been a costly and humiliating delusion for Britain. At least we Canadians know we don't count in Washington.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:32 pm

Sunnyways Sunnyways:
For anybody paying attention in the UK, the truth came out loud and clear in 1956. The whole thing should have stayed inside Churchill's head. It has been a costly and humiliating delusion for Britain. At least we Canadians know we don't count in Washington.

The thing is for me when I was in elementary School I had a teacher point out how the US-Canadian boarder was the longest unguarded boarder in the world. She then went on to point out the whys of it ending with "Canada can be and should be considered the US's best friend in the world."

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:55 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
How is this even a surprise? Traditionally, the first foreign visit a new US president makes was to Canada. We knew he didn't give a shit about that when the first visit he made was to Mexico.

What are you talking about? President Obamas first foreign visit WAS to Canada on Feb 19, 2009.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:39 am

rickc rickc:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

What are you talking about? President Obamas first foreign visit WAS to Canada on Feb 19, 2009.

Yup, my bad. I confused it with G.W.'s first trip, on February 16, 2001.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:42 am

Notice that President Trump isn't wasting his time visiting a country that openly hates him.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:27 am

martin14 martin14:

Truth? One man's truth, and a man, from the way he himself speaks of himself, who was childish and stupid. There have always been a clutch of snobby, sneering pseudo-intellectuals at the State department who think they're better than the grubby masses and 'reactionaries', and this clown certainly sounds like one. Probably a francophile and leading member of the wine and cheese set who, like the French, looks down on the grubby Anglosphere because he considers himself so much more sophisticated.

I mean, from his own admission he would try to slip references to 'the malvinas' Argentina's name for the Falklands into things just to annoy the British. Does that sound like someone who's offering sound, intelligent advise on foreign affairs to his president?

Now I grant you, Obama was a complete neophyte and fool when it came to international relations. I don't believe there is a single relationship the US had with any of its allies that did not worsen under his tenure - perhaps because he took advise from people like this.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:53 am

Vbeacher Vbeacher:
martin14 martin14:

Truth? One man's truth, and a man, from the way he himself speaks of himself, who was childish and stupid. There have always been a clutch of snobby, sneering pseudo-intellectuals at the State department who think they're better than the grubby masses and 'reactionaries', and this clown certainly sounds like one. Probably a francophile and leading member of the wine and cheese set who, like the French, looks down on the grubby Anglosphere because he considers himself so much more sophisticated.

I mean, from his own admission he would try to slip references to 'the malvinas' Argentina's name for the Falklands into things just to annoy the British. Does that sound like someone who's offering sound, intelligent advise on foreign affairs to his president?

Now I grant you, Obama was a complete neophyte and fool when it came to international relations. I don't believe there is a single relationship the US had with any of its allies that did not worsen under his tenure - perhaps because he took advise from people like this.

The so-called Special Relationship was a fantasy from the start. Britain's interests were always secondary.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:21 pm

Sunnyways Sunnyways:
The so-called Special Relationship was a fantasy from the start. Britain's interests were always secondary.

Of course it was secondary. Who ever said a nation should put another nation's interests ahead of its own? That doesn't mean there isn't a special relationship. There are security arrangements, cooperation, and information which is passed back and forth which is only shared with the anglosphere through the Five Eyes.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:58 pm

I saw that as a joke from the very beginning. :(