Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:36 am

Why has no one even mentioned the fact that the current trade rules the USA and Canada both agreed to are still in effect? NAFTA isn’t rescinded, nor are WTO rules. Even if you were to believe Trump somehow is justified in starting a trade war (even though the entirety of the world supports Canada in this), how do you justify his breaching a signed contract? If he doesn’t like the deal, then give proper notice, and pull out. Then lose all protections it offers.

Which brings up an interesting idea I saw today. Everyone assumes a trade war with the USA is impossible to win because of the David and Goliath nature of it. Legality and right/wrong aside (I mean, what do you do when a bully picks on you? Even if he’s huge you punch him in the nose), if the USA wants to start playing hardball, Canada isn’t going to lose. For starters our natural resources can be sold anywhere globally and there are hungry markets for it. But, without a trade deal in effect this is all Canada has to do: http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/second-op ... -1.4708630

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:48 am

Don't we supply a bunch of power to the north eastern U.S.?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:51 am

Tricks Tricks:

I believe we do. If we don't we supply enough power that if we were to cut our supply it would put the american power plants on their heads.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:56 am

Tricks Tricks:

Silly to you, not to them. You're not the arbiter of what is waste. Buying a sports car doesn't consume any more that buying a toyota does, within reason, and provides a hell of a lot more boon to the economy.

Does it? I think that depends on the particular car.

Look it’s not like I’m some hermit who darns his own socks and gets around on a bicycle made of scrap metal but I’m not a shopaholic either.

I’m not perfect but society as a whole has become unsustainable because of ravenous consumerism that squanders resources, produces excessive wate, results in people who increasingly can’t afford their consumer debt or saving for retirement but still can’t stop spending, where people are socially programmed by movies and tv and constant advertising to always hunger for more and newer shit and demand it be sold for for less, which results in offshoring production to China, union-busting, cuts to tax and social spending. People just want more for themselves and less for everyone else, screaming MOAR MOAR MOAR! KIM AND KANYE SAY IM NOT COOL UNLESS I HAVE MOAR!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:22 am

llama66 llama66:
Tricks Tricks:

I believe we do. If we don't we supply enough power that if we were to cut our supply it would put the american power plants on their heads.

Seems like it would escalate things too much, but a good fuck you in the back pocket nonetheless.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:25 am

Tricks Tricks:
llama66 llama66:
Tricks Tricks:

Seems like it would escalate things too much, but a good fuck you in the back pocket nonetheless.

Yeah. They may not see the humour in us turning off the lights... It IS a rather non-nuclear nuclear fuck you.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:43 am

llama66 llama66:

Yeah. They may not see the humour in us turning off the lights... It IS a rather non-nuclear nuclear fuck you.

Don't turn it off. Just make them pay the same rates they charge in Ontario for power. It's about the equivalent of a 10,00% tariff

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:45 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Does it? I think that depends on the particular car.
That I can agree on. I'm not exactly a fan of giant pickups to go pick up milk. But someone buying a camaro or a corvette over a corolla because that's their hobby doesn't bother me.
$1:
I’m not perfect but society as a whole has become unsustainable because of ravenous consumerism that squanders resources, produces excessive wate, results in people who increasingly can’t afford their consumer debt or saving for retirement but still can’t stop spending, where people are socially programmed by movies and tv and constant advertising to always hunger for more and newer shit and demand it be sold for for less, which results in offshoring production to China, union-busting, cuts to tax and social spending. People just want more for themselves and less for everyone else, screaming MOAR MOAR MOAR! KIM AND KANYE SAY IM NOT COOL UNLESS I HAVE MOAR!

I don't disagree with you, and my biggest peeve is printers. Those things are literally disposable products now. When I worked at Futureshop we had people regularly buying a printer instead of ink because it was so much less. But I don't think we should shit on people for buying something that they enjoy or get use out of, that's all. People would 100% think the number of speakers I have to be over consumption, but I have music playing virtually constantly so I don't view it that way. If someone is buying a laptop every six months cause they can't be bothered clean it of viruses, then we're on the same team.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:09 pm

$1:
Why has no one even mentioned the fact that the current trade rules the USA and Canada both agreed to are still in effect? NAFTA isn’t rescinded, nor are WTO rules.

Exactly. How can you put a duty on something part of NAFTA without first pulling out of it? And it needs 6 months notice to pull out of?
Or will it be handled like Softwood and fuck what every trade council and the WTO rule?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:33 pm

Prof_Chomsky Prof_Chomsky:
Just make them pay the same rates

Thus speaketh the Communist. :lol:

That power is sold at a steep discount, just like our oil.
Because there is no other customer.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:51 pm

herbie herbie:
$1:
Why has no one even mentioned the fact that the current trade rules the USA and Canada both agreed to are still in effect? NAFTA isn’t rescinded, nor are WTO rules.

Exactly. How can you put a duty on something part of NAFTA without first pulling out of it? And it needs 6 months notice to pull out of?
Or will it be handled like Softwood and fuck what every trade council and the WTO rule?

Technically by responding in kind instead of going through the WTO, didn't we also violate it now?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:52 pm

martin14 martin14:
Prof_Chomsky Prof_Chomsky:
Just make them pay the same rates

Thus speaketh the Communist. :lol:

That power is sold at a steep discount, just like our oil.
Because there is no other customer.

Drop the prices and I'll use it all! :lol:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:23 am

Tricks Tricks:
herbie herbie:
$1:

Technically by responding in kind instead of going through the WTO, didn't we also violate it now?

No. The premise of 'National Security' that was used to initiate the Levies also comes with the provision of retaliatory levies if the affected countries dispute the National Security angle.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:36 am

Tricks Tricks:

Most of Hydro Quebec's output goes to the Eastern Seaboard of the United States. It's probably Quebec's biggest export.

Try cutting off an essential resource to the US and we'll find out who the REAL boss is (as the Marines steam up the St. Lawrence).

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:52 am

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
Tricks Tricks:

Most of Hydro Quebec's output goes to the Eastern Seaboard of the United States. It's probably Quebec's biggest export.

Try cutting off an essential resource to the US and we'll find out who the REAL boss is (as the Marines steam up the St. Lawrence).

I don't think they'd declare war over electricity. But I'm often wrong

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 16  17  18  19  20  21  22  Next