canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:40 pm

<strong>Title: </strong> <a href="/link.php?id=19947" target="_blank">What do you think about in-game ads?</a> (click to view)

<strong>Category:</strong> <a href="/modules.php?name=News_Links&file=category&catid=3" target="_blank">Tech</a>
<strong>Posted By: </strong> <a href="/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=userinfo&username=johnny452" target="_blank">johnny452</a>
<strong>Date: </strong> 2007-03-14 10:13:11
<strong>Canadian</strong>

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:40 pm

If it makes the game free and the ad isnt intrusive sure why not. This isnt new, McDonalds used to advertise on "Neopets" but..I dont even know if that site exsists anymore since..no one visits it lol.. either way im sure mcdonalds will weasel their way into games

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:07 pm

They're doing this in BF2142 and it blows. Like the article says, they're packaging spyware into your game so they can see what sites you go to, what things you like, and then direct "targeted" advertising to you in-game.

So you and your pals can be in game next to a billboard and all of you will see different ads.

And your high-end gaming machine will creep due to the spyware.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:23 pm

If it was general advertising, I'd have no problem with it, as in some cases it adds to realism. I remember playing Pole Position 2(or some racing game in the early 90s) in the arcade and they had billboards for some other companies while you tore around the track.

In cases like that, I don't mind, but the last thing I want is spyware on my computer dropping cans of Coke into MOH/COD2 while I'm playing. That's just cheesy and like Bart said, it will invariably slow my machine down.

The article also spells out plenty of other reasons why they suck.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:29 pm

The next step, of course, will be hacking the spyware out of the games. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:33 pm

If the ads are in the background, I wouldn't mind because I'd tune them out like every other ad.

But a big Hell No to spyware because it slows down your comp not to mention the security and privacy issues.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:29 pm

Gran Turismo had them as well on the billboards, plus the fact that you are buying name brand parts for your virtual car. On the other hand do I want anymore spyware on my system that will slow me down while I'm trying to move quickly through something? Of course not. It would infuriate me. Now do I have a problem with billboards or coke cans where it makes sense nope. Not that big of a deal.

If it lowered the cost of games sure why not, but again spyware is a problem and hell it might even be illegal. But of course it will not lower the cost of a game. Has it lowered the cost of a t-shirt? Nope.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:15 pm

I have no problem with background ads, ie "cingular" on need for speed most wanted, but I also think it should subsidize the price of the game, I also agree anyone who puts spyware on any of my machines the CEO of the game company should be taken out into the parking lot and kicked in the nuts once for every game that is sold with the offending spyware on it
"just my 2¢

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:11 pm

$1:
If it makes the game free and the ad isnt intrusive sure why not. This isnt new, McDonalds used to advertise on "Neopets" but..I dont even know if that site exsists anymore since..no one visits it lol.. either way im sure mcdonalds will weasel their way into games
*uncontrolable laughter*

Neopets?!

Oh, the memories.....

You used to play that thing too?

I left because of the capitalism and restriction on speech. :P When I was like, 12.

(Neopets is still up too... Fucking bunch of Psychopathic Scientologists...)

But yeah, FUCK Advertisements.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:15 pm

I used to do the neopets thing too way back when. The people who run the site are a bunch of tight asses.

My cousin still plays though. I was watching her, and the whole site is covered with ads from a bunch of companies.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:03 pm

crystalsm crystalsm:
I used to do the neopets thing too way back when. The people who run the site are a bunch of tight asses.

My cousin still plays though. I was watching her, and the whole site is covered with ads from a bunch of companies.
Agreed.

I have friends who still play it that I still talk too.

It like, controls these people's lives after awhile.

I call it NeoNazi Pets....

The site probably would be better for people if the people who run it, "TNT" or The Neopets Team, actually interacted with it's users then forcing crap down their throats.... :|

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:20 pm

Highly unlikely it would lower the cost of your games....

Magazines with cover to cover ads aren't cheaper and in many cases are more expensive....

Did your car dealer pay you to put his nameplate on the back of your new car?

How much cheaper was that movie you saw last week with 10 mins of adds before it started compared to the other movie with only 2 mins of ads? And what about the movie you saw with alot of product placement in it...how come it wasn't any cheaper to watch than the movie without any product placement?

Nike T-shirt $25, blank T-shirt $7...........did it really cost $18 to have their logo screened onto the shirt? No, they just know there are alot of suckers out there.....

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:19 pm

Ripcat Ripcat:
Did your car dealer pay you to put his nameplate on the back of your new car?

On the east coast the dealers put stickers and even drill into the sheet metal to mount their ad emblems - my father used to make them take that stuff off or he would not buy the car.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:32 pm

I make it very clear to car dealerships that their name on the back of my car is a $500 ad to my mind, of course I only mention it when they think all the haggling is over ;). They don't like it much but they like the sale more.

Anyone else notice the irony of that article? The hotlinked ads built into it?