Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:58 pm

The city I live in is voting tonight on whether to ban residential pesticide use. I wondered if anyone had strong feelings either way.

I used the pesticide free stuff this summer and had my lawn destroyed by cinch bugs. However, my lot drains into a water retention area right behind my house that is full of wildlife, so at least I didn't have to feel guilty I guess.

Any thoughts?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:21 pm

I'm in favour of it. Though it means more work to keep your lawn looking nice. It took two years of neglect before my lawn was completely yellow with dandelions. I irradiated it with pesticide, now I just have to work to keep up with it.

I agree that there should be a law - for the environment and to get me off my ass more often. It's a win/win situation for me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:32 pm

Instead of outright banning of Insecticides and Herbacides more education is needed. Improper use of these chemicals can lead to chemical resistant insects and weeds. I'm all for cities spraying for harmful insects like mosquitoes which are linked to diseases (west nile) which affect a major part of our population.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:30 am

More education is always the solution really, but since so many people disagree or refuse to listen to the facts I think pesticides and herbicides should be banned. So what if your garden has a few weeds whoop dee do. And instead of spraying chemicals you could actually get off your ass and pick the weeds, people have been doing that for hundreds of years.

There are also all natural pesticides. I dont know exactly what they are made of, but I know that Oakville now only uses all natural pesticides on public areas.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:57 am

The first year you stop using pesticides (for insects), the bugs are more likely to return with a vengeance, unfortunately. But if you look at gardens which have been free of insecticides, herbicides and fertilisers for a number of years, a natural balance has returned, especially if plants and habitats which encourage helpful predators (birds, ladybugs, lacewings, dragonflies) are put in place.

Pests are the lowest on the food chain, they eat the plants and reproduce in large numbers very quickly. THis is why they also develop resistance to pesticides quickly. The animals higher up the food chain, the predators mentioned above, eat the pests, but can accumulate pesticides and die off. They reprodice more slowly, their numbers are down for a few years, and they are slower to develop resistance. When the predators are not there, the pest numbers can flourish again, which is why pestices often INCREASE the numbers of pests, and stronger and stronger applications or mixtures are required year on year. This is called the Volterra effect.

So yeah, banning pesticides is a good start. And then encouraging wildlife back into the garden.

Oh, and as a (sometimes) tolerable coffee substitute, you can chop up dandelion roots, roast them just until the moment they smell sweet and grind them up. Some people say it's ok...

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:27 am

I tried eating dandilions once, tasted not so bad actually so roasting them might be nice. Gotta make sure they have not been anywhere near urban lawns though.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:19 pm

The leaves you can eat raw as salad, but beware they are a diuretic so make you pee. Unlike pharmaceutical diuretics, however, which can give you cramps from loss of potassium, dandelion has lots of potassium (long tap roots go deep in the soil and pick up nutrients) and so replaces what you lose when you pee. Clever eh?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:25 pm

Intersting, btu there are potassium sparing diuretics, and they are very common. That is pretty cool though, but if you have bad kidneys dont have dandilions, not that most people do :P

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:29 pm

How would I poison my neighbors fish then?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:32 pm

You dont poson fish you eat them duh!

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:33 pm

ridenrain ridenrain:
How would I poison my neighbors fish then?

By sticking your head underwater and talking about the liberals!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:50 pm

MissT MissT:
The first year you stop using pesticides (for insects), the bugs are more likely to return with a vengeance, unfortunately. But if you look at gardens which have been free of insecticides, herbicides and fertilisers for a number of years, a natural balance has returned, especially if plants and habitats which encourage helpful predators (birds, ladybugs, lacewings, dragonflies) are put in place.

Pests are the lowest on the food chain, they eat the plants and reproduce in large numbers very quickly. THis is why they also develop resistance to pesticides quickly. The animals higher up the food chain, the predators mentioned above, eat the pests, but can accumulate pesticides and die off. They reprodice more slowly, their numbers are down for a few years, and they are slower to develop resistance. When the predators are not there, the pest numbers can flourish again, which is why pestices often INCREASE the numbers of pests, and stronger and stronger applications or mixtures are required year on year. This is called the Volterra effect.

So yeah, banning pesticides is a good start. And then encouraging wildlife back into the garden.

Oh, and as a (sometimes) tolerable coffee substitute, you can chop up dandelion roots, roast them just until the moment they smell sweet and grind them up. Some people say it's ok...

That requires a big thumbs up PDT_Armataz_01_34

We have been pesticide/herbicide free for 15 years.

We also mulch all the fall leaves back into the grass.

Guess whose lawn never dries out in a dry spell.

Guess who picks any dandelions to make dandelion tea and wine.

Guess who gets all the butterflies and humming birds.

Guess who spends the lowest time tending the lawn.

Pity my neighbours cannot see the light.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:00 pm

Hmm, you've just reminded me, I must go out and make some dandelion wine tomorrow. Thanks!