bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:20 am

Weight training accidents

Moral of the story:

-Always use end clamps with heavy weights.
-Use a spotter if you're not sure you can lift the weight.
-Use a rack for squats.
-Olympic weightlifting is dumb.
-Start using you kids for grip strength training if they ever hit you in the face while you're working out.

Anyone else have training accidents/stories? I have one bad shoulder that seems to enjoy dislocating at inopportune times (usually incline presses), so I'm going to have to get that checked out if I want to start lifting heavier than I am now. A friend told me he was instructed to do kneel over a bench and make very small arm circles with a dumbbell when he injured his shoulder.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:49 am

no weight training accidents but had to dive in on several occasions to help people bench pressing too much.

Other than that I pulled the muscles in my arms with a little tendon and cartilage damage from desperatley clinging onto a wheel barrel full of cement .

I was pummeled by cement from 3 stories above me It knocked me and the barrel from one platform to the next platform in an instant . It was only about half of a story fall.

I didn't want to let the barrel fall the last three stories and kill anyone below . Regardless of the pain I managed to shimmy the barrel back onto the platform with me . Actually I think at first I clenched to the barrel as an unconscious selfish and desperate self preserving and instinctive measure. lol

I was so enraged with adrenaline that when I run up to throw a few punches at the ass who did it I found my arms just dangling by my sides for a good half hour . I finally gained normal but painfully tender movement lasting about two weeks .

Adrenaline is a weird thing everyone has experienced blood pumping in their head and temples but your face eyes and lips thats just something else . I'm surprised I didn't pass out .

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:03 am

no weight training accidents either. I'm good with weight training. I have a personal trainer which teaches me from time to time when I have the money...

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:53 am

Ive never been much into the weight training, probably because Im a girl and its weird to be in a weight room with 20 really buff guys and me all girly and weak. Now other sports related injuries, Ive had lots of those.
-hyperextended knee
-7 concussions
-left ankle sprained 2 times
-right ankle sprained a lot more such that there is scar tissue that needs to be surgically removed
-radial fracture in my left arm
-broken nose, which subsequently caused a broken artery behind it which caused blood loss problems for several years
-a bunch of broken fingers and toes
-got a hole in my left ear drum that was supposed to make me deaf but didnt work :P
-dislocated right shoulder
-One time I had an accident on my bike and my the entire back of my left calf was sliced up, I was supposed to get something like 300 stitches, but my mom thought she could fix it herslf, that was fun /sarcasm off

I think that is it, well its all I can remember off hand.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:19 am

The funniest weight training story ever actually belongs to my little brother.

He has arm wrestling trophies and I think still holds the record for most pushups in a minute at our old highschool. He's always been a rather big, buff, individual.

He was working out at the college gym when he had gone one too many reps on the old benchpress. He had to set the bar down on his chest which was no big deal because he knew that there were two other guys in the gym.

So he lays there for a few seconds until one of the guys is in earshot and says "hey, little help here."

I guess the guy responded with the gayest accent: "Oh, oh, I don't know what to do. I've never lifted weights before." Then he calls out to the other guy who My bro has now figured out, is his boyfriend. "Richard, Richard come here. We need some help."

So anyway, my brother was rescued by a couple of queers in the gym, of course after he stood up they had their hands all over him asking if he was okay... you really have to see him tell the story, you can almost watch his skin crawl!!

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:39 am

my mom dropped a weight on her foot and fractured it. oops. she couldn't walk for 2-3 weeks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:51 am

Zoraja Zoraja:
Ive never been much into the weight training, probably because Im a girl and its weird to be in a weight room with 20 really buff guys and me all girly and weak. Now other sports related injuries, Ive had lots of those.
-hyperextended knee
-7 concussions
-left ankle sprained 2 times
-right ankle sprained a lot more such that there is scar tissue that needs to be surgically removed
-radial fracture in my left arm
-broken nose, which subsequently caused a broken artery behind it which caused blood loss problems for several years
-a bunch of broken fingers and toes
-got a hole in my left ear drum that was supposed to make me deaf but didnt work :P
-dislocated right shoulder
-One time I had an accident on my bike and my the entire back of my left calf was sliced up, I was supposed to get something like 300 stitches, but my mom thought she could fix it herslf, that was fun /sarcasm off

I think that is it, well its all I can remember off hand.
Holy freraking crap!! WHat kind of sports have you been doing? Most injuries I got was from sparring in kickboxing. And that mostly bruised bone and bruised body. Also a few sprained ankles....bad kick.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:57 am

Biking got me most of those concussions, soccer and gymnastics for the rest of it. They just sorta happen, I dont remember a lot of it first hand, usually I get told what happened by somebody who saw it, something about concussions makes you forget stuff [hockey]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:08 am

Wow. Sounds about as fun as being kicked in the head. Turst me I know how that feels. Gymnantics? Cool. Do you still do that? Can yea do back flips and stuff?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:13 am

I can still do most of it. Backflips on the trampoline, but I am always too scared to do it on the regular ground. I quit proper training when I was 14, to do gymnastics you have to have under 8% body fat, and not be terribly tall so I was like eh whatever.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:15 am

SO how tall are you now? And I'll say that you don't have much body fat since you seam to be very active. :wink:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:22 am

5'9, and I do have body fat, if you look at the pic on my profile, I have way too much to ever go back to that, its not healthy anyways. And of course you have to be completely boobless which is not exactly me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:23 am

Zoraja Zoraja:
5'9, and I do have body fat, if you look at the pic on my profile, I have way too much to ever go back to that, its not healthy anyways. And of course you have to be completely boobless which is not exactly me.
Uhm..you have no pic in your profile. BTW I like boobs so that's ok.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:55 pm

Never lifted a weight in my life...put I have put in a few days of hard work in my life time.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:18 pm

My shoulder seems to have repaired itself... I started doing those pendulum arms circles, and it seems to have helped. It will likely come back to haunt me, but it hasn't recently.

All started when we flipped our LaserII... I rolled back in, slipped, and continued to roll my shoulder right out of the socket. I had to lay there in the bottom of the boat and punch it back in place. Not fun.