Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:32 am

Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire - At about 6am British time this morning, a MASSIVE explosion ripped through Britain's 5th largest oil refinery. despite the fact that the county borders the north of the county of Greater London, the bang was heard in Whitehall, Central London, Norfolk, Suffolk and Surrey. It was even heard in Northern France and Holland.

A huge plume of smoke covered the sky in the surrounding area - so much so that the area remained dark even whilst the Sun came up, and it was though dawn never happened.

People at first feared it was a terror attack, but reports that a low-flying plane was spotted in the area just before the explosion are said to be untrue. Buildings and houses, some even 3 MILES away, had their roofs blown off and windows blown out.

The black plume of smoke is so huge that was spotted by a satellite, and is even hovering over Central London.

The fire could take days to put out.
------

Travel chaos after oil depot blasts

Blast: Heard for up to 40 miles

Smoke from a series of massive explosions which tore through an oil terminal in Hemel Hempstead today has brought travel chaos to the south east.

Sections of the M1 are closed in both directions and flights at Heathrow airport have been affected.

Two people were seriously injured when massive explosions ripped through the oil terminal jsut after 6am this morning.

They were among 39 casualties in a series of blasts which rocked the Buncefield depot near Hemel Hempstead in Hertfordshire, police said.

The force of the blasts could be heard up to 40 miles away as flames shot more than 200 feet into the sky.

Did you hear the blast or are you affected by the explosions? Tell us using the reader comments link at the bottom of the page and send your pictures in to [email protected]

Despite residents reporting they heard the sound of a plane overhead before the explosions, Hertfordshire Police Chief Constable Frank Whiteley told a news conference they are treating the incident as an accident.

The first blast happened just after 6am at the fuel terminal in Leverstock Green, close to junction 8 of the M1.

Drivers pulled off the M1 as they saw the flames and police have closed the motorway in both directions.

The depot - which holds huge stocks of various fuels - also supplies aviation fuel for Heathrow and Luton airports.

Mr Whiteley said 100 police officers are at the scene alongside more than 100 firefighters.

He said it was the largest fire he'd ever seen. More explosions are expected at the scene but Mr Whiteley stressed that the fire is under control and should not spread to a larger area.

The public are being advised to stay indoors and not go near the immediate area of the blasts.

Windows were blown out of buildings in the area and houses in Leverstock Green have been evacuated amid health fears.

It is understood that windows of the Ramada Hotel, in nearby Hemel Hempstead, were shattered in the blast and the Holiday Inn was evacuated.

Anyone concerned about the blasts should ring the Casualty Bureau on 0800 096 095. If anyone is feeling unwell they are advised to call NHS Direct on 0845 4647.

Firecrews are putting plans in place for several days of work.

'Keep out of the smoke'

Mr Whiteley said: "All indications at this stage are that this was an accident. However, clearly we will keep an open mind until we can confirm that for certain."

As a result of operations at the scene, it was anticipated that there would be further explosions during the morning, and he wanted to reassure the public that this was nothing untoward.

He said it was believed there were around 36 casualties, of whom four were more serious.

A plume of smoke above the site was moving slowly eastwards.

"This cloud, not least because it does contain heavy smoke, is an irritant, and would certainly make people who inhale it potentially cough, potentially irritate the eyes, and potentially feel nauseous.

"Our strong advice is to keep out of the plume of smoke, and if the windows of your house have been blown out or are damaged, we would suggest you should evacuate yourself somewhere safer.

"People should stay indoors, close your windows, and watch the news for updates."

The Buncefield depot supplies petrol and fuel oils for a large part of south east England. Oil is brought to the depot in an underground pipeline from tankers unloading on the east coast.

The depot is jointly run by oil companies Total and Texaco.

dailymail.co.uk

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:39 am

This satellite image of the UK shows smoke over Hemel Hempstead from the Buncefield oil depot.
Picture: PA
-------------------

----------------

Local people were shaken from their beds as the blast tore through the depot at about 6.05am.
Picture: PA
-------------

-------------

------------
"Night" time - ugly black smoke covers the sky.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:46 am

'It was terrifying ... everything was shaking'

Staff and agencies
Sunday December 11, 2005

People watch a huge cloud of smoke and flames billowing from the burning Buncefield oil depot, in Hemel Hempstead. Photograph: Harish Luther/AP

A massive blast which ripped through a fuel terminal early today woke startled residents as their homes literally shook from the force of the explosion.

The blast could be felt up to 40 miles away with flames shooting hundreds of feet in the air.

A huge pall of dense black smoke hung over the Buncefield oil terminal after the first blast at 6am, which was followed by two smaller explosions 20 minutes later.

Tanker driver Paul Turner told BBC Radio Five Live he had just arrived for work at the depot when the explosion occurred.

He said: "I just saw this great big ball of fire come up from behind the building. It was about 50 metres wide.

"Then there was the loudest explosion I have ever heard in my life. It took me off my feet. I'm not really sure whether my knees buckled or whether it was the blast which took me off my feet. I was just in shock at that time.

"I got up, turned around and ran to my car and sped out of there as fast as I could."

Norrie Vine, a 71-year-old taxi driver, was thrown from a chair in his flat in in Wood Close, near Wood Lane End, Hemel Hempstead, when the blast happened.

He said he initially thought it was bomb going off.

"At first I thought it was an al-Qaida thing, I have lived around the world and I know what explosions sound like," said Mr Vine.

It felt like the "force of a 2,000lb bomb - it was a pretty horrific thing".

He added: "I was asleep in my chair when I nearly got blown out of my flat.

"There was just one huge explosion and everything shook.

"I am all right, I have just one broken window and insulation from the roof has come down because the explosion blew open the trap door in the ceiling."

He went on: "It was terrifying. I thought that it was going to be the end of me, everything was shaking.

"I got lifted out of my chair and dumped back on the ground."

Mr Vine said there were several shockwaves after the first blast and everybody ran into the cul-de-sac before being moved out by police.

He added: "I am going to stay here for now and have my cup of coffee."

More than two miles away at a block of houses overlooking the site, windows were shattered.

One resident peered through the broken glass, gazing at the inferno in front of his house.

Eyewitness Mark Mulholand told Sky News that many workers he went to help were in a state of shock.

"I spoke to one security guard. He said his colleague was bleeding from the ears and had perforated his ear drum."

Calum Russell, a spokesman for the Ramada Hotel, in Hemel Hempstead, said all 187 residents had been evacuated following the blast but had now been allowed to return and the hotel was fully operating again.

"Two guests suffered minor cuts," he said. "They were treated by trained first aiders at the hotel."

He said the hotel suffered minor damage, such as broken glass.

Among those evacuated was a group of around 70 people living at a gypsy caravan site on Cherry Tree Lane.

Hara Babu, 30, who lives in Leverstock Green, only a couple of miles from the fuel depot, woke up to find the windows of his house had been shattered.

The software engineer said: "It was about six o'clock this morning that I heard a large bang and all my windows were shattered.

"I was very scared and went to look out of the window to see what was going on - there was a big wall of flames. First of all I thought it was a huge bomb blast."

Chris Batty, 46, lives on Woolmer Drive, also in Leverstock Green, in a large block of flats overlooking the fuel depot. He said: "I was in bed when the explosion went off. All the windows rattled and the back door banged and I looked out to see what it was.

"At first it was hard to tell what had happened, but then there was a huge ball of flames rising up in the sky."

guardian.co.uk

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Boston Bruins
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:52 am

Did you hear it GB?

$1:
People at first feared it was a terror attack...

Curious how this is the first thing to pop into peoples minds these days. I would think that too.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:50 pm

canucker canucker:
Did you hear it GB?

$1:

Curious how this is the first thing to pop into peoples minds these days. I would think that too.

Well, either way, I'm thinking a couple of Brazilians are going to need to be executed for this.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:01 am

zip, not funny......not at all.....

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:10 am

No. I didn't hear the explosion, because I live in the North of England near Manchester, but I was so soundly asleep that even if the bang did reach here, I probably would have slep through it anyway.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:13 am

Firefighters today suspended their attempts to tackle the huge fire - the largest ever in peacetime Europe - because there are fears another fuel tank may explode at any moment.

Buncefield firefighting suspended

Simon Jeffery and agencies
Monday December 12, 2005

Firefighters battle a fierce blaze near the centre of one of the Buncefield explosions. Photograph: Odd Andersen/AFP/Getty

Firefighters tonight suspended their attempts to extinguish the huge blaze at the Buncefield oil depot due to fears over the contents of one tank, which was still burning.

Roy Wilsher, Hertfordshire's chief fire officer, said there was a possibility Tank 7 could explode so he was withdrawing firefighters in a bid to prevent a "human tragedy on top of an environmental one".

Mr Wilsher explained that Tank 5 had been extinguished during today's operation, but had reignited around 3pm this afternoon.

"This is not much of a problem in itself, but it is nearby Tank 7. We're not sure what's contained," he said. "There is a possibility of extremely volatile fuel."

Mr Wilsher said the fire service was working with the Environment Agency and experts at the depot to determine the contents of the tank. "The worse case scenario is the fire will burn itself out, which will take 72 hours," he said.

Firefighters had managed to extinguish 12 of the 20 burning oil fuel tanks, which was "better than expected", Mr Wilsher said.

However, in addition to the problem with Tank 7, several of the remaining burning tanks had collapsed and were protecting the fuel inside.

But Mr Wilsher stressed that this was just a pause in the operation. "This is a temporary setback and I anticipate we will go back on the offensive as soon as possible," he said.

This morning, 150 firefighters used 250,000 litres of foam to bring the fire - the biggest industrial fire in peacetime Europe - under control.

The blaze sent a plume of toxic black smoke into the sky after a series of explosions early yesterday morning.

Firefighters tackling the flames with foam mixed into 32,000 litres of water a minute described as like putting "a huge foam blanket on a giant chip pan".

The deputy prime minister, John Prescott, said the blaze was thought to be an accident but it would take an investigation from the health and safety executive to make sure.

He said casualties were "remarkably light". In a statement to parliament, he said 43 people had been in hospital. Two of those had serious injuries, but the one person who remained in hospital was described as in a stable condition.

A change in the wind and the cooling of the flames could result in an increase in smoke over Hemel Hempstead. The black plume that has been drifting across southern England is non-toxic but the police are recommending the town's residents should go indoors and shut the windows if it descends.

Smoke and soot can be an irritant to those with respiratory conditions such as bronchitis or asthma. Children from 70 schools in the area were told to stay at home today. Schools in the surrounding boroughs of Berkshire, Buckinghamshire and Bedfordshire were advised to close tomorrow.

The dousing had been due to begin at midnight, but concerns that oil and foam would run off into the water supply meant approval from the Environment Agency did not come until this morning.

Residents and businesses located within the half-mile exclusion zone around Buncefield were invited to a meeting tonight with police, fire service and council officials as well as a representative from Total.

Dacorum borough council said the meeting, to be held at Hemel Hempstead sports centre at 7pm, would update those most severely affected by the situation.

Duncan Milligan, of the Fire Brigades Union, said the operation had not been able to start until fire crews had gathered enough supplies of concentrated foam from around the country.

"We simply did not have enough here for such an enormous blaze on this unprecedented scale," he said. "It comes in bottles of foam concentrate, which is mixed with water. It's like putting a huge foam blanket on a giant chip pan."

Mr Wilsher said this morning that the fire service was in "uncharted territory".

"This is the largest fire of this kind that we in the UK and Europe have dealt with," he told a briefing earlier today. "We are not even sure how the thermal currents will affect the foam - it may just vaporise it."

The foam forms a film on the surface of fuel that prevents it from reigniting. It is used by all major airports, refineries and other areas where potentially catastrophic fuel fires can occur.

Mr Wilsher said the firefighting plan aimed to keep the water on site. Six high-volume pumps, with the power of 18 conventional fire engines each, drew water from a lake a mile away from the fire to mix with the foam concentrate.

The blasts shattered windows, dented doors and destroyed roofs of houses nearby, forcing 2,000 residents to be evacuated from their homes.

Media reports in France said the smoke cloud from the Buncefield fire was drifting across the country and heading towards Spain.

Frank Whiteley, the Hertfordshire chief constable, warned that because of the risk of Tank 7 exploding, the cordon surrounding the terminal had been widened and the M1 had again been fully closed between junctions six and 10 in both directions.

High temperatures meant firefighters could initially hope only to stop the flames in the 100-acre distribution centre from spreading any further. A "water curtain" kept the flames from the seven unexploded fuel tanks, which each hold more than 3m gallons of fuel.

The Buncefield depot is a major distribution terminal, storing oil and petrol as well as kerosene, and supplies airports across the region including Heathrow and Luton.

The huge explosions initially sparked fears that there had been a terrorist attack or a plane crash. Last week, al-Qaida's deputy leader, Ayman al-Zawahiri, urged militant Islamists to attack oil installations in Muslim countries.

Security sources quickly said there was no indication of "a national security" or criminal connection to the fire.

guardian.co.uk

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:15 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
canucker canucker:
Did you hear it GB?

$1:

Well, either way, I'm thinking a couple of Brazilians are going to need to be executed for this.

As I recall, a similar thing happened in the United States last week.

Cops shot dead a man, who I think was handicapped, on a plane because they thought he was a terrorist.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:16 am

The price of petrol in the UK will soar.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:19 am

Black rain will bring pollutants down to earth, warns Met Office

John Vidal, environment editor
Monday December 12, 2005
The Guardian

Much of south-east England was braced last night to experience black toxic rain as oily soot from the burning of almost 16m litres of oil, aircraft fuel and petrol started to fall over the region and the plume of gases reached ground level in some areas.

According to the Meteorological Office, a cold front was expected to stretch across the region, bringing rain and forcing the pollutants from the fires down to ground level. The intensity of the fires throughout most of yesterday, combined with very light winds and a high pressure system, carried much of the pollution 2,750 metres (9,000ft) above an area stretching at one point from East Anglia to Salisbury Plain, in Wiltshire.

Health experts warned that the elderly, asthmatics and anyone with respiratory problems should take great care not to inhale the fumes, which they expected to worsen as the fires weakened and were unable to force the smoke so high.

Professor Warren Lenney, of the British Lung Foundation, said the consequences of inhaling soot particles from the acidic thick black smoke could be "unpleasant".

"The trouble is there are all sorts of different chemicals in the smoke. Petroleum products are known to produce a whole series of nasty acidic chemicals, as well as carbon monoxide." Prof Lenney, consultant paediatrician at the University Hospital of North Staffordshire, said side-effects could include coughing, difficulty breathing and a lack of concentration as oxygen levels in the brain dropped.

A police spokesman said: "We are advising people to close their windows and doors and to go immediately to a doctor if they breathe in the fumes."

The potential effect of the explosion was being assessed by the Environment Agency last night. The agency said the main areas of concern were the potential for water pollution and damage to land quality. A spokesman said that would only occur if any of the substances, including kerosene, diesel, gas oil and gasoline, were to escape from the site.

Colin Chiverton, of the agency, said: "At the moment we are closely monitoring the situation for any potential environmental impact and will continue to do so."

A spokeswoman for Total UK, the British arm of the US oil company which half owns 60% of the site, said petrol and kerosene, as well as some diesel and crude oil were held there, but she did not know exactly what had caught fire. "We understand air samples have been taken and they show the toxicity to be low," she said.

Staff at Hemel Hempstead general hospital said extra beds and intensive care facilities had been set aside for anyone suffering smoke-related complications.

Dr Ivan Vince, a health, safety and environmental specialist for ASK Consultants, said he believed the smoke plume was not so dangerous at present because it was being lifted high above the ground and would be greatly diluted before it returned to ground level. But he warned: "When the fire is dying, the smoke is less buoyant and so can cause a local hazard."

guardian.co.uk

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:34 am

More pictures -

A series of explosions has shaken Buncefield oil depot near Hemel Hempstead, igniting millions of gallons of fuel in a huge fire that was still burning 24 hours later
---------------------

Around 150 firefighters are attempting to smother the flames at the Buncefield oil depot near Hemel Hempstead with a giant "foam blanket" (Odd Andersen/AFP/Getty Images)
--------------------
Asthma sufferers and the elderly are the most likely to feel health effects from the smoke, although officials said there was no sign yet of it having any significant effects on health (Chris Radburn / PA)
--------------------
Seventeen of the 26 tanks on the site, each holding millions of litres of fuel, caught fire
------------------

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:44 am

GreatBriton GreatBriton:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:

As I recall, a similar thing happened in the United States last week.

Cops shot dead a man, who I think was handicapped, on a plane because they thought he was a terrorist.

Handicapped? Mentally handicapped, perhaps.

He was running around, clutching his bag, screaming that he was a terrorist and that he had a bomb.

Miami shooting - CNN

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:39 pm

Yes it's kind of hard to fault the authorities if the guy was running around screaming that he had a bomb. If the guy was simply crazy, then that's tragic.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:17 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Yes it's kind of hard to fault the authorities if the guy was running around screaming that he had a bomb. If the guy was simply crazy, then that's tragic.

It says further down in the story that they only shot when he went for something in the bag.

Which makes sense.

And is still kind of tragic.