CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 7:49 pm

Communist Canada. It's illegal to watch HBO, ESPN, ESPN 2, TNT amd a ton of other American channels in Canada. Even Iraqis and North Koreans with a dish are able to watch those channels leagally but nooooo not in Canada. They must PROTECT Canadians from American Televison :mrgreen:

Poll have shown 80% of Canadians want HBO, ESPN and TNT but their OWN government won't listen to the people!!

Can someone please tell me why the CCTA fears American televison!!

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 8:39 pm

My ex girlfriend has HBO, i watch Band Of Brothers on it. Where do you get your information.

I know FOX news is banned becasue its a state run propoganda news programe.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:37 pm

LMAO We get the Fox channel here in edmonton in our cable, but its in the tier 3 group.. I watch the nascar races on Fox all the time...

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:50 pm

I know I've watched HBO from a motel in Raymore Sk. I seem to remember watching Fox & NN from a hotel in Fort Francis, On.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:17 am

I get FOX aswell, in Edmonton.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 4:39 am

Ah, the Raymore hotel, Zen...lovely place.

The Fox News station is a little different than the regular Fox station. It is available on satellite though. I'm not sure of the current legality of it.

Canada does regulate what television is available. So do a lot of other countries. It has to do with preserving culture and ensuring home-grown talent has a shot at earning a living. I'm not sure that limiting the availability of somebody as brutally xenophobic and anti-Canadian as Bill O'Reilly is a bad idea, anyway. Wouldn't want Americans to get a bad name.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 6:05 am

This thread just made me wonder
Does American stations air This Hour Has 22 Minutes

Boston Bruins
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:58 am

I doubt they have the itellect to understand it....LOL :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 5:56 pm

Rev_Blair Rev_Blair:
Ah, the Raymore hotel, Zen...lovely place.

The Fox News station is a little different than the regular Fox station. It is available on satellite though. I'm not sure of the current legality of it.

Canada does regulate what television is available. So do a lot of other countries. It has to do with preserving culture and ensuring home-grown talent has a shot at earning a living. I'm not sure that limiting the availability of somebody as brutally xenophobic and anti-Canadian as Bill O'Reilly is a bad idea, anyway. Wouldn't want Americans to get a bad name.

Let me get this right. You are lad that your government censors American tv based on the fact that's it American!! On the claim as to preserve Canadian culutre??????????????

Let me get this right. Bill O'Reilly must be censored and not allowed in Canada while Al Jazeera is ok????????

--------------

And to the other we are able to get CBC. But the thing is the only thing they talk about is America and Americans. What gives??

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:53 pm

Jazeera offers at least some actual journalism, Killah. Have you ever watched Billy O? Lies, hatred, stupidity. Hell, the US government should pull him off the air for making your citizens looks like inbred dolts.

Yes, Canadian culture should be protected. There should be some culture north of Mexico, after all.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:45 pm

I actually find there is far more censorship in the US than in Canada. God forbid a boob should find its way onto a television screen.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 4:57 am

The USA is backwards that way. Sex there afraid of, but violence is ok.

Canada is more like European nations in that respect, we teach good sex ed corses, were not afraid to talk aboit sex. We teach our kids about sex..and therfor we have a much much lower teen pregnacy rate.

Think about this.
If i have a gun in my house, a hand gun and i have children. If i put that gun in my closet and tell my kids its FORBIDIN never go into dadys closet. THERE GOING TO GO INTO IT! But if i took out my gun, should it to them, explained what it is and why they shouldnt have it. And still keep it locked up safe, the kids wont be so anxius to brake into my closet and get it. same thing with sex. Not teaching kids about sex doesnt reduce the rate of sex, it reduces the rate of safe sex.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 10:12 am

As the minutes creep by, the infamous and totally useless crtc in the guise of protecting heritage and all that entails have now come up with a totally brilliant plan to pay broadcasters by reducing the dollar amount they pay for advertising.

This 'eureka' dumbass plan hatched during over a lunch of poutine and pepsi on payday, pays the broadcaster with an extra free minute of advertising and has an accompanying value of up to $800,000.00 (cdn of course).

The catch is the taxpayer must pay for it by remaining still and slothful in their couches, barcaloungers and lazyboys while they endure another minute of lost show to more useless, invasive and insultive advertising.

The more Canukistan content is these home grown produced yawn fests the more of your loot the crtc gives these fine broadcasters.

check it out

$1:
CRTC offers broadcasters perks for Canadian content

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 10:39 am

Hey,
I'm Canadian and living in the states and to answer some questions from before. No...we don't get This Hour Has 22 Minutes because American tv is completely ego-centric. I'm not sure if it's because they actually believe they are the center of the universe or they just don't realize there is a world outside their borders. That aside...because the majority really don't know anything about Canada or Canadian politics and politicians they really wouldn't get the humor.
As for HBO, TNT and all those other channels...you aren't missing anything. I suppose HBO has some good shows from time to time but the rest of them are crap.
Oh, and Fox News who claim to be "Fair and Balanced" are right wing republicans all the way. Nothing wrong with that I suppose but at least be honest about it instead of saying they are Fair and Balanced....they should say Right Wing Conservative!
Bill O'Reilly is an gigantic ass....no matter what political affiliation you are.
And finally, after living here for 4 + years I have lived through my withdrawal from real daily news. Everything here has been so "spin doctored" that you really don't know who to believe...and I doubt we should believe anyone. Best described...it's like living in this bubble that we can't see out of. We aren't allowed to know what's going on in the outside world that doesn't involve bombing the crap out of a country. But that's ok cause the universe revolves around us...inside our bubble of fear and paranoia. God Bless America!

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 11:06 am

Yes indeed, I suppose life can be simply awful inside a bubble of fear and paranoia with the added misery of not being able to see out.

Good grief, whyever do you stay in this land of 700+ national and international satellite stations and not a 'real' news report to be had from any of them.

And all those dizzy doctors too - why it must be next to impossible to get medical treatment, yeah?