CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:55 pm

... no apology required, krisliang. your spelling skills seems to be quite good ...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:57 pm

krisliang krisliang:
Thanks for the advice, yes, English is not my native language, I always have to double check grammar after I wrote something. I post this without double check, sorry for that.
I will send my resume, cover letter and thank you note to someone for editing.

I don't know if you have tried temp agencies yet? I am sure the people at Randstad or Adecco are very willing to go over your resume with you and point out the weak points...

Before I moved here, I contacted the Skills Centre in town and they 'Canadianized' mine for me. Just recently, I had my writer friend look it over and changed the new gibberish I put in there into real English.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:59 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
Not sure if I'd call this career advice, per se, but if I could do it all over again, I'd be a drug addict on the streets of San Diego.

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

The only drawback to that would be you becoming a punching bag during Fleet Week and the occasional RimPac 8O

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:03 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
Lemmy Lemmy:
Not sure if I'd call this career advice, per se, but if I could do it all over again, I'd be a drug addict on the streets of San Diego.

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

The only drawback to that would be you becoming a punching bag during Fleet Week and the occasional RimPac 8O

You never know around here, that could also be called a bonus by some..... :idea:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:21 pm

Hyack Hyack:
Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
Lemmy Lemmy:

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

You never know around here, that could also be called a bonus by some..... :idea:

ROTFL R=UP

Detroit Red Wings

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:57 pm

krisliang krisliang:
Here is what I am thinking, everyone was once inexperienced, when you saw a job posting online, there are no company posting no experience required, they all started from one to three year related experience. I mean how did this happened? Am I supposed to work for free for the first two years or even three years to get a job that pays?

Most of us did have experience before attaining our first jobs. I worked each of my 3 summers while at University. The jobs were related to my field of study, and the companies were glad to hire me as they paid me less as I had no degree yet. One company tried to trick me into staying on and not returning to school. Some fall for that trap, but it's best to get your degree no matter what.

Krisliang, I know for a fact that they need lots of Engineers south of the border. The U.S. has a serious shortage of Engineers, you can very easily get a job there. If you are a Canadian citizen, you can apply for a TN-Visa. It is very easy to get and it will allow you to accept a job there. If you are not a Canadian citizen, you can apply for a H1B visa. There is more paperwork involved, and a waiting period for the H1B visa, but as you have a graduate level engineering degree, you should not have any issues. You definitely have the credentials needed.

If you really want to remain in Canada, my best advice to you is to keep your eyes open for job fairs. Also try the placement agencies. They keep a portion of your salary for a period after you start, but it gets your foot in the door.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:59 pm

I found a resume editing service, Here I am posting my original Resume, I will post my edited Resume later. I omitted two Canadian employer.

SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
 M.Eng. (Mechanical engineering) and B.Sc (Mechanical engineering and Automation);
 Experience in manufacturing and quality assurance, machine building and installation, maintenance, adjusting machinery, machine repair, work scheduling.
 Developed design drawings with tools such as AutoCAD (2010), PTC Creo (Pro/Engineer), Unigraphic NX 7.5, Solidworks 2010, ANSYS 12.1(finite element analysis), ADINA(finite element analysis), Simatic S7, Mastercam X5;
 Familiar with common desktop software: MS Office & Open Office, Win XP/Vista/7 & Ubuntu OS;
 Multi-tasking and meticulous attention to details; quick learner with a commitment to continuous learning; team work spirit.
EXPERIENCE

Mastercam programmer Apr 2012 - Jun 2013
XXXXXXXXX
 Conducted 2D and 3D programming of detailed components for the machine building (automotive sector).and Prototyping using Okuma CNC machining center and CNC lathe. NC program proofing;
 Designed Fixture/Jigs;
 Scheduled work orders and inspected the quality of product;
 Provided employee training in NC programming and machining;

Mechanical Engineer (part-time) Sep 2011 – Feb 2012
XXXXXXXXX
 Assembled precision pharmaceutical equipment (high pressure homogenizers), conducted quality assurance and prepared quality certificate;
 Provided technical support to customers by performing diagnostic and troubleshooting over the phone;

Junior Test Engineer Jun 2009 – Jun 2010
Zhengzhou KE-HUI Welding Equipment Technology CO.LTD, Zhengzhou, China
 Conducted testing on prototypes and performed troubleshooting;
 Amended design drawings (Autodesk CAD and Pro/Engineer)based on change requested;

Research Assistant Feb 2009 - May 2009
Department of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Nanjing, China
 Designed a quality measurement system for gear circular space width (software programming, database building, prototype building and testing) to analyze quality data and provide feedback to production team;

Intern (student) Sep 2008 – Nov 2008
Jincheng Corporation, Nanjing, China
 Developed and tested PLC application programs to support an automated control system upgrade (from relay control system to PLC control system) using Simatic S7-200;

EDUCATION
Master of Mechanical Engineering June 2012
University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada
 GPA 9.0/10.0
Bachelor of Science (Mechanical Engineering and Automation) Jun 2009
Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Nanjing, China

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:28 pm

Thank you jughead, the problem for me is, I want to work , I don't care if they pay me less as long as the money can support myself, nothing fancy.
I like my major, enjoy doing it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:52 am

recent immigrants (lived in Canada for five years and less) with a university education had an unemployment rate that was 4.1 times higher (13.9%) than that of Canadian-born workers with a university degree (3.4%)

Sigh...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:54 am

Who told you that immigration was going to be easy?

Anaheim Ducks
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:07 pm

CanadianJeff CanadianJeff:
There's a ton of opportunities for engineers of a variety of types in Saskatchewan. Try looking up BHP billition, Cameco and Potash crop for jobs.

Over 13,000 jobs listed today. http://www.saskjobs.ca/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:54 pm

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
Who told you that immigration was going to be easy?

well no one said it's going to be easy, I though at least I can pay the bill, support myself. Seems like you are working in drafting.

Thanks for the advice! I checked Saskatchewan seems like there are more opportunity for me there

Anaheim Ducks
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:45 pm

Two points on your resume:

1. It say what you did under Experience but what did you achieve for the company? For example; conducted quality assurance and prepared quality certificate culminating in ISO12345 certification. (or whatever the appropriate standard is.)

2. GPA.....I thought North American GPA results were scored out of 4 and sometimes 5 vice 10. Perhaps some of the academics can verify which is correct and any potential impact.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:04 am

Thank you for the advice on the resume, I will work on the achievement.
Regarding GPA, that's the number on the Transcript.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:13 am

Just got a call from Honda Engineering, they have several contract position opening, Is it weird that they ask for references even before phone interview?