Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:40 pm

is money, as we all know.

But in these changing times I'd suggest that 'lack of accountability' should be placed on that short list.

Look around, anywhere you like. Do you see accountability? Education and Justice systems. Corporations. Municipal, Provincial and Federal Politics including those elected and appointed.

Where would you like to see accountability re-established?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:45 pm

Money, in and of itself, is NOT the root of Evil. In fact, it is capable of accomplishing much Good.
An overwhelming and avaricious DESIRE for money, as well as unethical methods of obtaining it, is the root of Evil.

Money is simply a tool. To blame the tool is to blame the chain-saw for the clear-cut.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:27 pm

karra karra:

Where would you like to see accountability re-established?

Start with individuals.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:11 pm

I agree with nonrev.

"Money is the root of all evil" is actually the most misquoted phrase out there. It is usually attributed to the early Christian leader Paul. What he actually said was the "the LOVE of money is the root of all evil".

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:03 pm

You'll need to define accountability, too. Accountability has to be "to" someone. So, depending on who you are talking about, that person should be accountability to be specific people. And legal accountability is different than moral accountability.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:47 pm

Accountability should be to the general population. Right now the accountability is to the backroom guys and corporate masters. The backroom guys and corporate masters are accountable to nameless, faceless shareholders. The way decisions are made has got nothing to do with democracy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:02 am

ignorance

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:34 am

Religion

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:36 am

People

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:09 am

polemarch1 polemarch1:
People

I second that..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:13 am

All three levels of politics need far greater levels of accountability than what there is now. This would require a populace that gives a crap but sadly we just don't have that.

In the end we get what we deserve because it all starts with us.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:54 am

People feeling powerless...not giving a crap, as you put it, Third Eye...is fostered by the back room deals and unelected power-brokers. That's why electoral reform becomes so important. If contributions are extremely limited, it levels the playing field and limits the power of the special interest groups. If proportional representation is brought in it limits the power of any single party and the party you voted for has some say beyond name-calling in Question Period.

It's funny...I've met a lot of people in the protest movement who won't vote. They are disgusted by the system so they stay out of it. If I've met that many through my casual contact then the number of them out there must be huge. If they were to get involved...vote, join political parties, etc...they could do a lot to change the system.

I would add reformation of party funding to the three levels of government. I would also insist on a one person one vote system within all parties. No weighting union votes at the NDP convention, no giving riding associations with two people and a dog as much as say as the biggest riding association within the Conservatives.

If people think that can be effective, can make a difference, they will participate more. The feeling among many right now is that no matter what they do, it simply won't matter.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:14 am

The problem with Politics in Canada is that you really need to be from Ontario or Quebec. If you from a smaller less influencial province you have no say. For example, Brian Tobin wanted to lead the liberal party, Chretian wanted Tobin to lead the liberals too... But Tobin is from Newfoundland, so right there he had to chance. He was bullyed out by Matrin and his budys.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:36 am

sounds to me like we're going back to an old thread....in fact i think it was me who started it.......

remember that western alienation thread?

yeah, that started being about how ontario and quebec have all the votes and how other provinces vote doesn't make a difference, in that thread the western provinces. but it DOES also apply to the far eastern provinces too.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:42 pm

Of course not being able to keep it in his pants had nothing to do with it.