bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:15 am

Having to show your ID is a search without a warrant

The officer said everyone had to show ID any time they were asked by the police, adding that if she were in a Wal-Mart and was asked by the police for ID, that she would have to show it there, too.

However, any kind of identification that you can carry with you is worthless, unless it can be confirmed through another source. Thus the demands made against Deb Davis were nothing more than a compliance test. She failed, but she should have never been asked in the 1st place. Show me your papers on a public bus to work? They were asking for a problem.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:29 am

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:02 am

Well the dam bus drives right through a govt instalation, sp ....and there is a law that anytime a police officer asks for ID , You are to comply...

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:45 am

This is wrong and i can see her getting off on all charges and the cops getting shit for what they did...

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:15 am

... and you're surprised that this would occur in a country where the act of wearing a t-shirt with the slogan "Give Peace A Chance", in a shopping mall, can and will get you arrested and thrown in jail?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:52 am

Scape Scape:
Having to show your ID is a search without a warrant

The officer said everyone had to show ID any time they were asked by the police, adding that if she were in a Wal-Mart and was asked by the police for ID, that she would have to show it there, too.

However, any kind of identification that you can carry with you is worthless, unless it can be confirmed through another source. Thus the demands made against Deb Davis were nothing more than a compliance test. She failed, but she should have never been asked in the 1st place. Show me your papers on a public bus to work? They were asking for a problem.

This issue was already ruled on by the US Supreme Court in The Walker vs. The City & County of San Diego. The USSC correctly ruled that a request for identifcation, absent probable cause to suspect someone has committed a crime, is unreasonable and that no one need present identification simply because a cop asks for it as that can be a form of harrasment or intimidation under the color of authority - something that is itself a criminal offence.

When I was in my early twenties I had occasion to cite the decision with a Sacramento County Sheriffs Deputy (these fuckers really are Nazis, IMHO) and after a lot of threats of arrest and whatnot, the asshole let it go.

The civil rights aspect of this case will end up in court, no doubt, as well it should.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:59 pm

feeko feeko:
Well the dam bus drives right through a govt instalation, sp ....and there is a law that anytime a police officer asks for ID , You are to comply...

There is no such law, and I am legally allowed to roam freely about my town state, and country, with no identification if I so please.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:49 pm

reminds of my days in croatia

"Papers please" by the same guy a dozen times in one morning.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:12 pm

bossdog bossdog:
reminds of my days in croatia

"Papers please" by the same guy a dozen times in one morning.

He clearly wasn't after the papers, he was looking for a bribe. I remember stories of moscow being very similiar (only worse, since they refused to accept papers)

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:42 am

Followup:Feds Decline To File Against Deborah Davis

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:10 am

Uncle Joe would of.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:12 am

GunPlumber GunPlumber:
... and you're surprised that this would occur in a country where the act of wearing a t-shirt with the slogan "Give Peace A Chance", in a shopping mall, can and will get you arrested and thrown in jail?

Dang. I thought it was the bomb making material he had at home.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:59 am

This is nothing, seriously, haven't your heard that Miami Police are going to surrond buildings in a show of force and demand ID's as people leave. They will be wearing swat gear from what I hear! Let me out of here. Sh*t the thought police are probably tracking this trhough my ISP!