canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:12 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
You wanna know something, years ago the "cool" teachers were the ones who actually got their students interested and actively involved in their subjects.

So what the hell happened along the way? I totally agree with you, and I know lots of teachers that are good, hardworking people. Are the teachers worse or are the kids harder to teach?

At the post-secondary level, I don't get the challenges, by and large, that secondary teachers must endure. But I've noticed a significant drop in academic performance over the decade and a bit I've been at this gig. Kids just aren't prepared for post-secondary studies like they were even a short time back.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:39 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
You wanna know something, years ago the "cool" teachers were the ones who actually got their students interested and actively involved in their subjects.

So what the hell happened along the way? I totally agree with you, and I know lots of teachers that are good, hardworking people. Are the teachers worse or are the kids harder to teach?

At the post-secondary level, I don't get the challenges, by and large, that secondary teachers must endure. But I've noticed a significant drop in academic performance over the decade and a bit I've been at this gig. Kids just aren't prepared for post-secondary studies like they were even a short time back.

The teachers aren't worse and the kids aren't harder to teach. The problem appears to be the system. We now have a no child left behind, everyones a winner, Politically Correct system that's taken the will to succed out of the students and teachers collectively.

I don't know about the rest of Canada but here on the coast there's a constant battle between the Government and the Teachers Union over all things educational which is a major drain on resources, teaching personnel, parents and students.

Hell, there's even a battle with some of the teachers, and their union, the parents and the teachers union, the Government and some school boards, all things which I assume wouldn't make it very conducive for learning.

Not to place sole blame on one group, since the Government is just as much at fault for allowing the implementation of the policies I mentioned above, but, the Teachers Union by protecting their incompetent teachers is helping to perpetuate the downward spiral of the education system.

With all this being said, I still may be way off base with this assesment and the real reasons for the problems could be be that teachers are much worse instructors and students are alot thicker. :lol:

Edited For Spelling 8O

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:37 pm

Now isn't that special :lol: If I was one of these kids parents I'd much rather have my under age children attend classes taught by one of these "cool" teachers than some hick educator who's not gonna be able to pass on such basic life skills as lap dancing.
Unsurprisingly you miss the point. Cause those teachers are going to be teaching lap dancing right? That's makes complete sense.

$1:

And there are still many that do that. But some times it's the personality of the teacher that did it. I remember for one of our history classes to explain trench warfare we flipped desks on the sides, split into teams, made a bunch of paper balls and had to charge. You can't do something like that with math. So if your math teacher jokes around but still gets shit taught, what's the problem?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:23 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
Lemmy Lemmy:
I hope they enjoyed their year of Teachers' College and the tuition money they wasted. Say "bye-bye" to the teaching profession.

Que?? Education is a 5 yr university degree just for the standard B.Ed. Mind you if this is the calibre of teacher being produced now I have to wonder where things have gone wrong. Well, it does tend to usually attract the self proclaimed liberal types.

Some provinces (Ontario I believe is one) have teacher's college, which pretty much any university grad can take after they finish their degree. Others, like Alberta, have the full-on B. Ed you speak of. That's one of the disadvantages if having education under the provincial purview IMHO (no national standards like most other countries).

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:45 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
Some provinces (Ontario I believe is one) have teacher's college, which pretty much any university grad can take after they finish their degree. Others, like Alberta, have the full-on B. Ed you speak of. That's one of the disadvantages if having education under the provincial purview IMHO (no national standards like most other countries).

Yes. In Ontario, one can earn a B.Ed in two ways: take a concurrent program where you earn your Bachelor's (Arts, Science, whatever) and your B.Ed over five years or; you can take your Bachelor's degree then enter a Teacher Education program and earn the B.Ed in one year. Most teachers in Ontario do their B.Eds in a one-year graduate program.

Teachers in other provinces that take a 5-year Teacher Education program don't walk out with just a B.Ed, do they, Shep? They earn a Bachelors degree AND a B.Ed concurrently, no?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:16 am

Tricks Tricks:

And there are still many that do that. But some times it's the personality of the teacher that did it. I remember for one of our history classes to explain trench warfare we flipped desks on the sides, split into teams, made a bunch of paper balls and had to charge. You can't do something like that with math. So if your math teacher jokes around but still gets shit taught, what's the problem?

R=UP

I used to have a history teacher who lived on an island about an hours drive away. He took the ferry, and then ran to school. The guy had a fabulous sense of humour, which made his history class one I loved to attend. Not because I liked history tho...
I used to have a Math teacher who was sooooo gorgeous and funny, he made math my fav subject, and made it understandable for all of us. Then a German teacher with one eye who was grumpy as hell... Hours and hours of grammar rules that made you fall asleep, and when you dozed off, he came along with his ruler to slam it on your desk, causing you a heart attack... He kicked me out of his social studies and German class and I had to write the exam without being taught by him. He thought I would fail. BOY, was he wrong. And at graduation, my mom rubbed that fact in his face. HA!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:16 am

I'm only speaking for Manitoba here mostly, as it's been a while(almost 20 yrs.) since I earned my B.Ed from UVic, and requirements change from province to province over time. Manitoba was the last place I taught in a Canadian public school, before I realized this job sucks, and I went back to school.

It used to be that you would get a 3 yr. Bachelor's degree, then you'd spend 2 years in the AD program(B.Ed). This was required for teaching highschool. If you taaught K-8, you completed a 4 yr. program for a standard B.Ed. A few years ago they changed the program so that you required a 5 yr. degree to teach anything from K - 12. Quite a few students came from Ontario, prior to the changes, because the B.Ed program for elementary education was a year shorter.

Last edited by ShepherdsDog on Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:20 am

Funny how the actions of two idiots has sparked a debate on the qquality of education per province in Canada, I still stand by my original comments.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:38 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
bootlegga bootlegga:

Yes. In Ontario, one can earn a B.Ed in two ways: take a concurrent program where you earn your Bachelor's (Arts, Science, whatever) and your B.Ed over five years or; you can take your Bachelor's degree then enter a Teacher Education program and earn the B.Ed in one year. Most teachers in Ontario do their B.Eds in a one-year graduate program.

Teachers in other provinces that take a 5-year Teacher Education program don't walk out with just a B.Ed, do they, Shep? They earn a Bachelors degree AND a B.Ed concurrently, no?

The only way to teach in Alberta is strictly with a B. Ed, which can be taken from any university in the province in 4 years (with two practicums - 3 weeks and 9 weeks crammed in). If you have a B.A., to teach, you have to go back and get a B. Ed., which usually takes about 2 years, depending on what courses you took during your B.A. and what you want to teach. For example, if you took English and want to teach science, then it takes longer if you want to be an English teacher.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:44 pm

Tricks Tricks:
$1:

R=UP

IMHO, teaching is 90% personality and 10% knowledge of the topic at hand. If you can explain something in a fun and interesting way, then it will stick far better than some brilliant egghead droning on at the front of the class.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:57 pm

Tricks Tricks:
I can almost guarantee the opposite has happened. Those will be the "cool" teachers now. Kids will be more likely to go to their classes that a 50 year old stuck up prude.

agree 100 percent, they will have gained respect from student who can now identify with them and realize they are people too not just "teachers"

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:03 pm

all i can say is two of the best "Teachers" are the biggest assholes on the planet. Dr Cox from Scrubs and House. obviously joking but the idea behind them stands true, just because someone is an asshole, ugly, doing a sexy dance, mean, doesnt mean there a bad teacher, in fact they just maybe the best.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:07 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Don't school systems have some kind of morals clauses when hiring teachers that are supposed to prevent episodes of this type of idiocy? Or are such things just another quaint idea that got jettisoned for being too obsolete in our SEX-AY! new culture?

Morals clause? Don't make me laugh. Public schools have been on the warpath against morality for fifty years. Asking teachers to demonstrate a sense of morality is like asking Donny to demonstrate Canadian and Commonwealth patriotism.

(Nothing personal, Donny, just sayin')

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:23 pm

I must be old, I saw the video, I dont get it, i think its a bit stupid and imature. thats it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:19 pm

Tricks Tricks:
Now isn't that special :lol: If I was one of these kids parents I'd much rather have my under age children attend classes taught by one of these "cool" teachers than some hick educator who's not gonna be able to pass on such basic life skills as lap dancing.
Unsurprisingly you miss the point. Cause those teachers are going to be teaching lap dancing right? That's makes complete sense.

Of course it doesn't make sense, much like initiating what many consider a lewd performance that is normally carried out in the dark back room of an adult entertainment club, while in an auditorium full of children.

$1:

There's no problem with any teacher joking around to get their point across but there is a definate boundry between joking around and transcending good taste. If I was to bet good money, I'd guess that your history teacher never conducted a lap dance with another teacher to explain the ramifications of the War of 1812?