canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:19 pm

housewife housewife:
Benn Hubby reminds me that when he was doing the Civy Contractor his company had extra insurance on all employees out of country. It was taken out for acts of war they even had kidnap insurance. It is just a cost of doing business

R=UP
And that is how it should be for all people who are stationed abroad. Regardless of who their boss is. It should be mandatory.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:35 pm

Brenda Brenda:
housewife housewife:
Benn Hubby reminds me that when he was doing the Civy Contractor his company had extra insurance on all employees out of country. It was taken out for acts of war they even had kidnap insurance. It is just a cost of doing business

R=UP
And that is how it should be for all people who are stationed abroad. Regardless of who their boss is. It should be mandatory.

It should be mandatory! If they want their employees to work out of country then they should have an insurance for them.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:10 am

housewife housewife:
Brenda Brenda:
housewife housewife:

R=UP

It should be mandatory! If they want their employees to work out of country then they should have an insurance for them.

I don't know the ins and outs as my wife was the one who worked on the Admin / Consular side of the embassy but I recall something about how government does not take out insurance (can't explain SISIP or whatever it is) on much of anything. For example they don't have insurance on any government building as someone crunched the numbers once and decided it would be cheaper to just rebuild them with available funds as opposed to insure for the very limited possibility one burns down or something. There were other angle to why which kind of made sense but the discussion was years ago.

Maybe the same philosophy goes for life insurance. Maybe they pay out whatever on a case by case basis. If I hear what they did for the spouse I'll update here. She was not our friend though, she started with immigration the same time as one of our friends and I doubt the media will follow up on those details.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:31 am

Benn Benn:
I don't know the ins and outs as my wife was the one who worked on the Admin / Consular side of the embassy but I recall something about how government does not take out insurance (can't explain SISIP or whatever it is) on much of anything. For example they don't have insurance on any government building as someone crunched the numbers once and decided it would be cheaper to just rebuild them with available funds as opposed to insure for the very limited possibility one burns down or something. There were other angle to why which kind of made sense but the discussion was years ago.

Maybe the same philosophy goes for life insurance. Maybe they pay out whatever on a case by case basis. If I hear what they did for the spouse I'll update here. She was not our friend though, she started with immigration the same time as one of our friends and I doubt the media will follow up on those details.

Insurance is a money losing proposition, averaged out over time. If it wasn't there wouldn't be an insurance business. So it would be finanically disadvantageous for an entity to take out insurance if it has the means to pay.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:59 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... paign=1490

Seems a retired British Marine armed with a semi-auto handgun is responsible for saving over 100 people from the mall massacre.

:idea:

$1:
A former marine emerged as a hero of the Nairobi siege yesterday after he was credited with saving up to 100 lives.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:22 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2430201/British-hero-mall-massacre-Ex-Royal-Marine-handgun-saved-100-lives-terrorists-ran-amok.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Seems a retired British Marine armed with a semi-auto handgun is responsible for saving over 100 people from the mall massacre.

$1:
A former marine emerged as a hero of the Nairobi siege yesterday after he was credited with saving up to 100 lives.

I heard it was a serving member of the British army who happens to be a member of the SAS!

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:40 am

2Cdo 2Cdo:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2430201/British-hero-mall-massacre-Ex-Royal-Marine-handgun-saved-100-lives-terrorists-ran-amok.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

$1:

I heard it was a serving member of the British army who happens to be a member of the SAS!

Either way it's better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war. :wink:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:37 pm

And now I'm hearing the Brit was active duty SAS on the radio. :idea:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:55 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

News said he couldn't be identified for "security" reasons, that's probably why.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:23 pm

The Brits have a training camp quite close to Nairobi. I've spent many months around there and Mombasa. They rotate infantry battalions through there annually. The Kenyans have a reasonably well trained military but their cops are corrupt and useless.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:09 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

The British media say that he is a Royal Marine.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -amok.html

If he is, he isn't S.A.S. .... S.B.S., maybe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Boat_Service

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:59 pm

Either way he did a fine job. [B-o]