Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:44 pm

^^ What he said! I'd like to do SANS, and I found the CISSP exam to be pretty tough, but rewarding!

ITIL wouldn't hurt either.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:50 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
^^ What he said! I'd like to do SANS, and I found the CISSP exam to be pretty tough, but rewarding!

Last time I did CISSP they had me do a practical exam. Had to identify what was wrong on a LAN rack.

It was a cross connect that tied one port of a switch to another port on the same switch instead of a different switch. That was all.

I kept doing a WTF? because I expected the problem to be something bigger. Turned out the test was to see if I'd create a problem where none had existed. The cross connect was actually an error on their part as the example was intended to be flawless.

Fuckers. :lol:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:00 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Last time I did CISSP they had me do a practical exam. Had to identify what was wrong on a LAN rack.

It was a cross connect that tied one port of a switch to another port on the same switch instead of a different switch. That was all.

I kept doing a WTF? because I expected the problem to be something bigger. Turned out the test was to see if I'd create a problem where none had existed. The cross connect was actually an error on their part as the example was intended to be flawless.

Fuckers. :lol:

I'm studying right now for Red Hat Certified Systems Engineer. Four hour exam, no multiple choice or short answer questions. 8O

It's a 100% practical exam. Like, "build a server with as firewall that blocks ports 1-1024 by default, but passes SMTP, POP3, and SSH". "Add 2GB disk to the /tmp mount on a server". Those kind of problems.

RHSA was hard, RHCSE will be tough!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:09 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Tricks Tricks:
Right now I'm working on the cyber side of things, where I'll try to put my focus into. So learning offensive and defensive measures. Once I get the qualifications, I was going to work on getting a placement with CSIS or the RCMP and see what happens.

Or I'll go another route and work for a bank and make bank. :lol:

I did the SANS 401 and 511 back in October and sometime after July 1st (fiscal year) I'm supposed to be getting the budget for my CISSP refresh.

SANS is amazing if you can get into it. R=UP

At the least sign up for their newsletter as it's pretty handy.

https://www.sans.org/newsletters/

Nice, I'll check that out and get the newsletter. My program says I'd be qualified to get the following certificates

CCNA – Cisco Certified Network Architect
CCE – Certified Computer Examiner
Security+
Network+
A+
Linux+
MCSE – Microsoft Certified System Engineer
CISSP – Certified Information Systems Security Professional (student level qualification)
CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker
EnCE - Encase Certified Examiner

A few more can't hurt!

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:00 pm

Hey - add a privacy certification to that mess and you'll up your pay check by 20% to 50%. :D

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:32 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Hey - add a privacy certification to that mess and you'll up your pay check by 20% to 50%. :D

Done! :lol: