canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:58 am

Title: How many hours a week should Canadians be working?
Category: Business
Posted By: Robair
Date: 2013-09-23 08:40:10
Canadian

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:58 am

Always said I work too hard, er, ok long.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:11 am

39? How do they come up with 39 hours a week? Most people I know start with 44 minimum, some as many as 60 to 70.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vegas Golden Knights
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:25 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
39? How do they come up with 39 hours a week? Most people I know start with 44 minimum, some as many as 60 to 70.

The stat provided is and average for all hours worked. Part time and full time.

So, if we are close to 40 hours a week, we have a larger number of people working full time hours then part time hours...which, I think, is a good thing.

Here is a link to the StatsCan material used for the article.

http://www4.hrsdc.gc.ca/[email protected]?iid=19#M_4

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:58 am

peck420 peck420:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

The stat provided is and average for all hours worked. Part time and full time.

So, if we are close to 40 hours a week, we have a larger number of people working full time hours then part time hours...which, I think, is a good thing.

It is but it's not. Those working 39 hours are generally not considered full time and thus aren't entitled to any full timer benefits. Yet someone working an extra 12 minutes per day is considered full time. :roll:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:09 am

24/7 365/1 :D I'm kidding. Working hard and working long are different. I think it would be better to make each time to different kind of jobs.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:11 am

39 hours per week? Who does that? University professors?

Nobody should be forced to work THAT hard!

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vegas Golden Knights
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:27 am

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
It is but it's not. Those working 39 hours are generally not considered full time and thus aren't entitled to any full timer benefits. Yet someone working an extra 12 minutes per day is considered full time. :roll:

What does that have to do with an averaged number?

:roll:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:03 pm

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
39 hours per week? Who does that? University professors?

Nobody should be forced to work THAT hard!

I must have stumbled upon an absolute truth of some sort. Lemmy decided to "punish me" because he thought that I was talking about him ... as if he is the only university professor in my life.

You're right, Lemmy. It's ALL about YOU.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:13 pm

I work 55+ hours a week, and have been for some time.

-J.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:18 pm

Generally I'm in school from 8 AM(photocopying and preparing materials) until 5 or 5:30(reviewing, correcting papers and supervising those too stupid or obstinate to finish during class) most days, and then I spend a couple of hours each evening planning for the next day and writing reports. Some Saturdays and or Sundays I go in for a few hours if there's something big planned in the upcoming week. So I'd say on average I'm involved with work proper about 55 - 60 hrs a week. I'd say that's the average for most teachers. The principal does a fair bit more. Right now I can honestly say I'm fucking the dog because we're having stupid meetings about class room management.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:29 pm

Canadians should be working every hour they're being paid to work. Pure and simple.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:38 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
Generally I'm in school from 8 AM(photocopying and preparing materials) until 5 or 5:30(reviewing, correcting papers and supervising those too stupid or obstinate to finish during class) most days, and then I spend a couple of hours each evening planning for the next day and writing reports. Some Saturdays and or Sundays I go in for a few hours if there's something big planned in the upcoming week. So I'd say on average I'm involved with work proper about 55 - 60 hrs a week. I'd say that's the average for most teachers. The principal does a fair bit more. Right now I can honestly say I'm fucking the dog because we're having stupid meetings about class room management.

AHMEN

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:43 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Canadians should be working every hour they're being paid to work. Pure and simple.

I'd love to be paid an hourly wage for each hour I'm doing work for the school, division and classroom. When you're on salary you tend to work quite a bit more than workers who are paid hourly.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:50 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

I'd love to be paid an hourly wage for each hour I'm doing work for the school, division and classroom. When you're on salary you tend to work quite a bit more than workers who are paid hourly.

That's the deal with salary and tenure for teachers. You also end up with better pension benefits so in the end you do okay.