canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:50 pm

<strong>Title: </strong> <a href="/link.php?id=30836" target="_blank">Is there any party more eager to embrace defeat than our Alberta Grits?</a> (click to view)

<strong>Category:</strong> <a href="/news/topic/1-political" target="_blank">Political</a>
<strong>Posted By: </strong> <a href="/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=userinfo&username=Alta_redneck" target="_blank">Alta_redneck</a>
<strong>Date: </strong> 2008-02-29 07:15:27
<strong>Canadian</strong>

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:50 pm

Is Taft a student of Dion?

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:13 am

the election no one has been talking about , how are things going out there and isn't it over by next monday ?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:12 pm

ryan29 ryan29:
the election no one has been talking about , how are things going out there and isn't it over by next monday ?

A Leger Marketing poll of 900 Albertans conducted for the Edmonton Journal and Calgary Herald after last week's televised leaders' debate suggests 45 per cent of voters want a change in government, including 54 per cent of those surveyed in Calgary.

Forty per cent of respondents provincewide say they plan to vote Progressive Conservative -- up eight percentage points from a similar Leger poll conducted on the eve of the campaign.

The Liberals remain at 18 per cent in the latest poll, and 27 per cent of voters surveyed were either undecided or wouldn't say which party they support. One-quarter say they're likely to change their vote by election day.

"Albertans are still quite divided as to whether they should re-elect the Progressive Conservative party," said Leger pollster Marc Tremblay.

Paul Hinman's Wildrose Alliance polled at six per cent, while Brian Mason's NDP and George Read's Green party were at five per cent each.

Stelmach's support remains strongest in rural Alberta (47 per cent) and weakest in Calgary (33 per cent). Taft polled strongest in Edmonton and Calgary (21 and 20 per cent, respectively).

But while 45 per cent thought the Tories should be re-elected, another

45 per cent said they'd prefer a change in government. Another 10 per cent weren't sure.

"Even though people are saying it's probably time for change," Tremblay said, "(they feel) there is no other real, credible alternative in Alberta."

Some critics say Stelmach has run a "disastrous" campaign, but he still may be rewarded by loyal Tory voters.

"Many people psychologically can't go to the Liberals, despite (Stelmach's) poor performance," said David Taras, political analyst at the University of Calgary.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/f ... e2&k=80245

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:20 pm

Alta_redneck Alta_redneck:
"Many people psychologically can't go to the Liberals, despite (Stelmach's) poor performance," said David Taras, political analyst at the University of Calgary.

Even if Jesus Christ himself rose from the dead and led the Liberal party, the PCs would win a majority government.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:25 pm

ryan29 ryan29:

A Leger Marketing poll of 900 Albertans conducted for the Edmonton Journal and Calgary Herald after last week's televised leaders' debate suggests 45 per cent of voters want a change in government, including 54 per cent of those surveyed in Calgary.

Forty per cent of respondents provincewide say they plan to vote Progressive Conservative -- up eight percentage points from a similar Leger poll conducted on the eve of the campaign.

The Liberals remain at 18 per cent in the latest poll, and 27 per cent of voters surveyed were either undecided or wouldn't say which party they support. One-quarter say they're likely to change their vote by election day.

"Albertans are still quite divided as to whether they should re-elect the Progressive Conservative party," said Leger pollster Marc Tremblay.

Paul Hinman's Wildrose Alliance polled at six per cent, while Brian Mason's NDP and George Read's Green party were at five per cent each.

Stelmach's support remains strongest in rural Alberta (47 per cent) and weakest in Calgary (33 per cent). Taft polled strongest in Edmonton and Calgary (21 and 20 per cent, respectively).

But while 45 per cent thought the Tories should be re-elected, another

45 per cent said they'd prefer a change in government. Another 10 per cent weren't sure.

"Even though people are saying it's probably time for change," Tremblay said, "(they feel) there is no other real, credible alternative in Alberta."

Some critics say Stelmach has run a "disastrous" campaign, but he still may be rewarded by loyal Tory voters.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/f ... e2&k=80245

interesting , with liberal , ndp , wildrose numbers so low its unlikely they will do alot better than the last election i guess . we had a strong demand for change in ontario polls was at 50% in some yet liberals still got another majority anyways. think cause the people who want a change are mostly voting for different parties .

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:11 pm

The media keeps telling anyone that will listen how bad a campaign Ed's been having, but when someone asks me how he screwed up, I don't know what to say cause I don't really know. Is asking for an appeal on the insurance deal a screw up? That’s about the only thing I can come up with.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:22 pm

poll update

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:30 pm

The media keeps telling anyone that will listen how bad a campaign Ed's been having, but when someone asks me how he screwed up, I don't know what to say cause I don't really know. Is asking for an appeal on the insurance deal a screw up? That’s about the only thing I can come up with.

I wouldn't call the appeal a screw up, I'd call it just one more reason why they need to be voted out NOW.

Soft tissue claims were proven to not be the cause of increased insurance rates, as claims were not increasing with time, inflation adjusted. The report that showed this was shelved and its author discredited by his own employer.

This was not known at the time the law was written, so they can be forgiven for that aspect, but not in so far as they KNEW it was unconstitutional. Otherwise, why would they have drawn up a battle plan for the challenges they knew were coming?

Then, the circumstances of the report come out and they did nothing - they chose to leave the cap in place even though it was the wrong approach and unconstitutional. Then they launched an appeal after the courts rightly struck down the law.

As far as I'm concerned that wasn't an election issue, it was a regular government business issue. As far as it's an election issue, though, Ed should NOT have been the one to make the announcement. He should have left that to the lawyer making the appeal or some other staff member.

I wouldn't say Ed's run a bad campaign. I'd say he runs a bad government that's out of control, knowingly and willfully running roughshod of the rights of its citizens, and just needs to go - and the insurance issue is just a nice little self-contained microcosm of their general attitude.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:30 pm

mtbr mtbr:
poll update

The same station that had a poll stating 70% of responders think Ralph was doing a better job.

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

I voted for Ralph everytime he stepped up to the plate, I sure couldn't do it this time if he was still around. That just shows how screwed up Calgary is. The Whine Capital of Alberta.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:30 am

mtbr mtbr:
poll update

The same station that had a poll stating 70% of responders think Ralph was doing a better job.

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

I voted for Ralph everytime he stepped up to the plate, I sure couldn't do it this time if he was still around. That just shows how screwed up Calgary is. The Whine Capital of Alberta.

The poll was done by Angus-Reid.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:10 am

I would vote for the Wildrose Alliance only because I think they are the only party that states they feel the people can do a better job managing their finances than the government can. But they are not running a candidate in my riding so I might just throw a vote for the PC since they are the next tax friendly party.

I think Albertans would like a new government but have no one really else to vote for. Also every party is basically promising the sun, moon, and the stars. Which they almost can sitting on a pile of wealth but when that starts to dwindle then their outrageous spending will come to haunt them and Albertans.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:10 am

sounds like its been a pretty quiet campaign , i wouldn't say anything huge has happened or any major screw ups like in ontario when tory released faith based funding idea and rest of campiagn went down hill from there. tory did launch a pretty poor campaign and poor tv ads as well . since i haven't seen the ads out there i'm not sure what pc's ran .
but either way no major wedge issues like we had in ontario election to get people all upset .

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:22 am

A_r, mtbr, Clog, and ryan, I see you're all ignoring my case that the PCs are clearly out of control and need to be reined in with respect to their auto insurance reforms. That they're knowingly infringing on the people's rights, and showing absolutely no inclination to admit they're wrong and stop, rather that they've shown they're prepared to keep it up without end.

Clog, I see you specifically seem to value low taxes over the right to compensation for injuries. How do you square that against the quote in your signature? That's basically what you're doing - giving up the liberty to seek adequate compensation for the security of low taxes. How do you vote for a party that's willfully infringing on people's rights? For shame.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:46 am

mtbr mtbr:
mtbr mtbr:
poll update

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

The poll was done by Angus-Reid.

Yes and in inconjuction with QR-77. If you go to the station's web site here and then click on the Angus-Reid thing. I'm wondering who's paying out the $1500 to the lucky participant?

Last edited by Alta_redneck on Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.