bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:09 am

Phew, now I can sleep easier 8). Artic here we come!

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:00 am

$1:

The only hypocracy is coming from the right. Anti-gov't intervention in the free market has been betrayed by Harper.

His own party members are saying it yet all you see in your jihad against the Liberals and the left is what......?

We didn't betray our ideals.

It seems you did.

When did any political party say that? Every party platform supports interference in the market and that of private business. The only party that actually may support the free market is maybe the Libertarians or the Anarchists.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:30 am

Clogeroo Clogeroo:
When did any political party say that? Every party platform supports interference in the market and that of private business. The only party that actually may support the free market is maybe the Libertarians or the Anarchists.
I was the one who made the original comment, but as I pointed out, I wasn't serious - I don't think any party ideals have been comprimised, since it's every party's priority to do what's best for Canada.

It was moreso directed at the Tory forum members who champion free market economies like they're the solution to every problem in the world.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:40 am

I was quite surprised that one of the commenter on the national floated the idea that this was a purely political move and not the right thing for business. I was surprised by the frankness and I actually agree with that. MDA needs to get into the US market to survive because we simply don't have the market here, and having the government prop them up is not sustainable.

I'm just waiting for all the union pension fund members to start bitching because their shares went down. All the talk of protecting Canada's severity and not dealing with American arms merchants flees out the window when folks start loosing money.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:49 am

$1:
I was the one who made the original comment, but as I pointed out, I wasn't serious - I don't think any party ideals have been comprimised, since it's every party's priority to do what's best for Canada.

I think the government should reap what it sowed when it decided to hand out donations to private corporations.

$1:
It was moreso directed at the Tory forum members who champion free market economies like they're the solution to every problem in the world.

It would solve a lot of them including this issue at hand. If the government stayed out in the first place then there would be no issue at hand of the government money being invested. If it never was invested the money then this company may or may not have been as important. If the U.S. opened up to foreign defence competition it wouldn't be as much of an issue to be an American based company or not.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:15 am

Clogeroo Clogeroo:
If the U.S. opened up to foreign defence competition it wouldn't be as much of an issue to be an American based company or not.
So the problem isn't that Canada is being overly protective at all - it's that the US is protecting its own interests by curbing foreign competition...

...you expect Canada to be more open with its economy out of principle, even though the US refuses to do the same.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:16 am

I say it's high time for Canada to get really serious about space. We were the third nation in space after all...

Let's start buying/building rockets and launch them from our very own facility, which could be in Cape Breton. ;)

Let's do more than just sending the occasional astronaut and space robotics; let's expand our horizons and start doing more than really sophisticated robotic arms. Let's start innovating new ways to do everything. Let's really get involved for once...

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:45 am

Arctic_Menace Arctic_Menace:
I say it's high time for Canada to get really serious about space. We were the third nation in space after all...

Let's start buying/building rockets and launch them from our very own facility, which could be in Cape Breton. ;)

Let's do more than just sending the occasional astronaut and space robotics; let's expand our horizons and start doing more than really sophisticated robotic arms. Let's start innovating new ways to do everything. Let's really get involved for once...

I agree, after all. Once we are done with Afghanistan. We won't be in another war probally for like another 30 years and our military funding will most likely be cut off again so that would give us to funding and time to start focusing on our space agency. If there is one country, that could and should focus on space rather then war. It would be Canada.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:58 pm

Smart move.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:27 pm

sandorski sandorski:
nice

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:

So... The Cons did something I like for once, :lol:
:

bootlegga bootlegga:
Excellent decision Mr. Harper. Keep it up!

DerbyX DerbyX:

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with it but BNs point that it is the type of thing conservatives have railed about in the past is correct.

Streaker Streaker:
Atta boy, Stevie! :D

despite this

ridenrain ridenrain:
No. It's proof of the rampant hipocrisy of the left.
If he did nothing, he'd be a sell out.
Now that he's done something, he's betraying his ideals.

With every flip flop, you prove youreselves less and less trustworthy to Canadian voters.

So, saying that Harper did the right thing, that you oppose Haper on the basis of his ideology but will support him if you feel he has done the right thing is hipocrisy? Something is wrong here. Perhaps its just a little rain falling.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:38 pm

Arctic_Menace Arctic_Menace:

Just the capability to launch our own satellites would be fine with me. I don't see a good reason to have manned flights at this time. Just dramatically more expense for little to no return, at this time. Just need to be careful not to start some big expensive program that might need to be cut when a Recession hits.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:10 pm

fifeboy fifeboy:
sandorski sandorski:
nice

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:

So... The Cons did something I like for once, :lol:
:

bootlegga bootlegga:
Excellent decision Mr. Harper. Keep it up!

DerbyX DerbyX:

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with it but BNs point that it is the type of thing conservatives have railed about in the past is correct.

Streaker Streaker:
Atta boy, Stevie! :D

despite this

ridenrain ridenrain:
No. It's proof of the rampant hipocrisy of the left.
If he did nothing, he'd be a sell out.
Now that he's done something, he's betraying his ideals.

With every flip flop, you prove youreselves less and less trustworthy to Canadian voters.

So, saying that Harper did the right thing, that you oppose Haper on the basis of his ideology but will support him if you feel he has done the right thing is hipocrisy? Something is wrong here. Perhaps its just a little rain falling.

As a retired CBC hack, I thought you knew better than to take things out of context?
That thread started off with far too many lefties attacking the CPC because it waffled on it's position when they were the first setting their hair on fire to demand something be done. It was a classic no-win situation and most people also saw it that way.

I will revive that thread so every one can read how Derby admitted that Harper made the right move.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:40 pm

ridenrain ridenrain:
As a retired CBC hack, I thought you knew better than to take things out of context?
That thread started off with far too many lefties attacking the CPC because it waffled on it's position when they were the first setting their hair on fire to demand something be done. It was a classic no-win situation and most people also saw it that way.

I will revive that thread so every one can read how Derby admitted that Harper made the right move.
No, the tread started with people saying Harper did the right thing and wondering about how doing that right thing was apparently going against Conservative philosophy. I say Harper did the right thing here and now---lets get rid of him.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:14 pm

Hence the no win situation for you folks.
He does nothing and he's a sell out to the Americans.
He does something and he's a sell out to Conservative ideals.
Like anyone from the "progressive side of the spectum has a grasp of ideals anyways?

Again, this is a problem that forced the Conservatives to take drastic action to solve, and now we either come up with policy that spells out what Canadian interests are, or we risk frightening away investment capital by only cherrypicking the unpopular deals.

Like the medical reactors, this was a problem waiting to happen.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:30 pm

$1:
So the problem isn't that Canada is being overly protective at all - it's that the US is protecting its own interests by curbing foreign competition...

Well the government screwed up and if it was really that concerned about handing contracts to a private firm they should have made sure the information used stayed within the parties concerned. It sounds like to me though the government saw a political opportunity and threw some money around to help keep a company afloat with really little thought of what they were doing.

The U.S. is partly to blame for having discriminating laws and if properly exercised an agreement probably could be made on the use of satellites and the intelligence gathered from them.

$1:
...you expect Canada to be more open with its economy out of principle, even though the US refuses to do the same.

Did anyone ever actually try and resolve the issue? I have my doubts so what makes you say the United States refuses to do anything?