canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:43 pm

<strong>Title: </strong> <a href="/link.php?id=27638" target="_blank">Should we sell our water to the U.S.?</a> (click to view)

<strong>Category:</strong> <a href="/news/topic/14-misc-cdn" target="_blank">Misc CDN</a>
<strong>Posted By: </strong> <a href="/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=userinfo&username=Hyack" target="_blank">Hyack</a>
<strong>Date: </strong> 2007-11-28 09:31:24
<strong>Canadian</strong>

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:43 pm

Cellucci's argument is countered by the very reason the US wants our water in the first place: While water is renewable and oil is not, the rate of oil production can be increased arbitrarily while the rate of water replenishment is finite and dwindling, and in some areas already overallocated.

All regions should learn to live within their own means. I'm leery of even the idea of piping water from northern Alberta to southern Alberta, let alone across a national border.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:53 am

We can sell it to them, or we can have them come up here and take it. I prefer the former.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:55 am

NO!!!!!

You do NOT want the US involved in your water resources. No way.

You open the door to the US having any say over your water and Los Angeles will be on you people like Great White sharks on baby seals.

Whatever money you think you might make from the deal is irrelevant. When the subject is water I guarantee you that not only will people get screwed they'll also get killed. People who stand in the way of LA getting water have a tendency to die from all sorts of unexpected causes.

:idea:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:06 am

Where will it end if we get started?

NO!! I don't think it's at all a good idea to sell water to the US.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:14 am

Ask the people of Chile what they thought of buying drinking water.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:26 am

Of course not. Not everything is for export the way the US wants it...

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:35 am

lily lily:
Last time this came up, I remember the agreement would be to sell X number of litres of water to the US - without taking into account that some years would be drier than others.

I don't trust our side to get the best deal, and I don't trust the US to live up to their end.

Water is a bigger deal to the USA than is oil. Check our history on "water wars" and you'll see.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:15 pm

lily lily:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
lily lily:
Last time this came up, I remember the agreement would be to sell X number of litres of water to the US - without taking into account that some years would be drier than others.

I don't trust our side to get the best deal, and I don't trust the US to live up to their end.

Water is a bigger deal to the USA than is oil. Check our history on "water wars" and you'll see.

I remember being on a bus tour in LA and the tour guide pointed at the dry river beds and said, "we think any water that makes it to the ocean is wasted."

I'm still not sure if that was a joke.

It was. The LA river floods and the water all goes out to sea. The water they actually use in LA all comes from the Colorado River, the Owens Valley, and the California Aqueduct (which transports water from as far north as Shasta Lake - over 600Km from LA).

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:22 pm

No, Nope, NO WAY! Let them learn to take care of their own resources. :evil:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:23 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
People who stand in the way of LA getting water have a tendency to die from all sorts of unexpected causes.
Well maybe the Gubernator should invest in desalination.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:38 pm

Most of California's water goes to agriculture. They can divert that to the cities and rely on Mexico for veggies. Us too.
We can continue to export our excess water in bulk to the oceans. Foregoing tens of billions that can be used for infrastructure repair and bridge renewals in Quebec is normally against Canadian values.

People say that once the tap is turned on we cannot turn it off. Maybe true but if the pipeline is only 24 inches wide then we won't need to turn it off.

Then we need Quebeckers to negotiate the deal. Screwing their sister Province NFLD big time over James Bay electricity shows a high degree of acumen in making deals.

Contract should be renewable every 10 years. New rates up or down. New time limits or extensions of supply.

Also for every cubic acre of water 100 kegs of Budweiser beer is pumped North for distribution to the thirsty.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Joe_Stalin Joe_Stalin:

Also for every cubic acre of water 100 kegs of Budweiser beer is pumped North for distribution to the thirsty.

Geez, you really hate your fellow Canadians, don't you? :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:42 pm

Did anybody see H2O with Paul Gross?

Pretty good movie. Apparently before Leoben was a cylon agent infiltrating the colonials he was a CSIS agent.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:50 pm

Scape Scape:
Ask the people of Chile what they thought of buying drinking water.

Don't forget about Bolivia. http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?ItemID=6893