Category: Misc CDN
Posted By: Hyack
Date: 2009-03-24 21:08:32
Canadian

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:35 pm

big deal look what it cost up to get rid of Mulrooney.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:26 am

how many years of selfless service to this country did he give? how many of our men and women did he help bring home safely?

It's our pleasure Mr. Hillier, thank you and enjoy your retirement [B-o] :rock:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:04 am

The Snowbirds and Skyhawks perform all over the continenet at civilian airshows and functions. Is the opposition just realizing that the guys on those two teams don't pay for all the travel, accomodations and fuel themselves? Who the fuck do you think pays for it then?

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:47 am

Heavy_Metal Heavy_Metal:
how many years of selfless service to this country did he give? how many of our men and women did he help bring home safely?

It's our pleasure Mr. Hillier, thank you and enjoy your retirement [B-o] :rock:

Rep point coming your way. R=UP :rock:

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:09 am

Much cheaper than getting rid of an MP.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:36 am

Regina Regina:
Much cheaper than getting rid of an MP.

Exactly. And its impossible to get rid of Senators. I'd say it was a pretty decent deal for what he has done over his career.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:39 am

PENATRATOR PENATRATOR:
The Snowbirds and Skyhawks perform all over the continenet at civilian airshows and functions. Is the opposition just realizing that the guys on those two teams don't pay for all the travel, accomodations and fuel themselves? Who the fuck do you think pays for it then?

Agreed. This sounds like someone decided to add up the costs of a bunch of stuff that happens semi-routinely and attribute it to something specific. The snowbirds and parachutists must train, right? Doesn't that training cost something similar?

But even if this was something out of the ordinary, isn't a morale boost worth a quarter mill?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:41 am

Richard Richard:

Or David Dingwall for that matter.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:07 am

Yeah, if it's the Conservatvies blowing taxpayers money on huge parties it's OK. It's only when the Liberals do it that we should jump up and scream, right? :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:16 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Yeah, if it's the Conservatvies blowing taxpayers money on huge parties it's OK. It's only when the Liberals do it that we should jump up and scream, right? :lol:

only because we are so happy to them go :)

Meh, you can make anything 'excessive' if you want to.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:08 am

martin14 martin14:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:

Exactly. If the Liberals had been in power right the positive/negative comments on this issue would be exactly reveresed, is my guess.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:20 am

$1:
Documents obtained under access-to-information legislation show that the military was determined to send off the charismatic retiring general in style after a three-year stint in which he re-energized the Canadian Forces and emerged as the highest-profile Canadian military leader in more than a quarter century.

“I intend to provide the necessary resources to mark the occasion in a fashion that recognizes the considerable contribution made by General Hillier,” a senior colonel wrote in “tasking orders” for the July 2, 2008, event, which also welcomed Walter Natynczyk as the new top general.

This has nothing to do with the government. If I am reading this correct, this shows that the military was just using money that was already at their disposal. It did not get approved by the government. So to say that people's opinions has anything to do with the ruling government is completely wrong.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:24 am

I think the price tag was a bit steep, but before I would bitch, I would want to see what we paid for previous CDS retirement events.

Richard Richard:

ROTFL

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:25 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
martin14 martin14:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:

Exactly. If the Liberals had been in power right the positive/negative comments on this issue would be exactly reveresed, is my guess.

What on earth are you guys talking about? How did this suddenly become a left vs right issue?

If you're referring to my post I was simply pointing out that there have many people let go or who have retired who were far less deserving of what they received than Hiller. Dingwall, I think it is fair to say, was and arrogant ass who wasn't really at the top of peoples "who do you love" list and he received more than what the function for Hiller cost. At least Hiller who was a national hero in many peoples eyes was some what deserving as opposed to some white collar bureaucrat who people despised. Pull yourselves together.